Champion driveshaft question

RoscoeD

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Gold wing with a champion conversion I hear a slight clunking noise by my Right foor when sittting on the trike shifting could this be a U joint I talked with one dealer in Indiana and he said I have to but the complete new driveshaft from Champion and parts and labor would be around 1200 dollars to install it. Anyone else have this experience ?

I had to replace the shaft on my 1989 GW champion conv.The u joint was the standard oem honda..

Mine made one noise then broke at the yoke..

The shaft was $550 labor 1 hour. $120

This was 4 years ago !!!

Champion 's prices were inconsistant at that time but I've heard their much better now.

I had a 2003 champion. front ujoint went bad. there is a place that does drive shafts and springs. about $200. Pretty easy to remove the shaft and replace it. Pm me if you are interested in more information

Drive shaft was not the issure I had aloose motor mount bolt and that was causing the problem They are checking everything over I go back to pick it up Tuesday I hate 12 hour shifts and working weekends suck !!!!!

I have a 2002 Lehman and am not familiar with a Champion. But if there somewhat similar I had the same noise/experience. I ended up changing the rear U joint on the shaft. The one that goes onto the read end. It was a $20 part that was ordered from NAPA. Worked like a charm.

Both Ujoints was solid as could be but I did learn a lot about maintainence from this guy I had been taking my trike to a honda dealer and thought they were greasing the drieshaft splines but found out differently.

Both Ujoints was solid as could be but I did learn a lot about maintainence from this guy I had been taking my trike to a honda dealer and thought they were greasing the drieshaft splines but found out differently.

So what's the deal then? How often should the splines be greased and how do you do it? Inquiring Champion owners need to know. I just greased the u-joints through the two zerks in the back---looks like I'm not done.

So what's the deal then? How often should the splines be greased and how do you do it? Inquiring Champion owners need to know. I just greased the u-joints through the two zerks in the back---looks like I'm not done.

My 2010 also has 2 zerk fittings on the u-joints. The mechanic showed me a drive shaft and how the splines were split and a pinch bolt kept it locked to the output shaft from the transmission. No point lubricating it. The Champion manual only mentions greasing the u-joints.

My 2010 also has 2 zerk fittings on the u-joints. The mechanic showed me a drive shaft and how the splines were split and a pinch bolt kept it locked to the output shaft from the transmission. No point lubricating it. The Champion manual only mentions greasing the u-joints.
That works for me...one less thing to worry about...and more time to ride.

Mine is still doing the same can anyone what u joint it takes so I can grease mine too ?

I have passed my level of confidence on getting the driveshaft out of my trike think it will be going to a shop in the near future for repair I do not have alot of tools here and not a real good place to work on the trike would rather be safe than sorry

I have a friend that use-to-have a 1997 Goldwing Champion trike. After only about 30,000 miles, the driveshaft u-joint broke and caused other twisted damage to the driveshaft. He tried to get one covered under warranty, but Champion would not offer any help. He had to purchase a new one from Champion for six hundred something, and ended up installing it himself. On a 1500 driveshaft replacement, you must remove all the bolts holding the rear diff, and slide it rearward. This was the instruction from Champion itself. That trike was fixed, later sold, and now he has a gl1800 Champion trike, without any problems. I also have a gl1800 Champion trike, that has never had any problems, EXCEPT for the constant noisy rear pads that seem to never go away ( this problem is actually listed on their website, but Champion still wont stand behind any repairs ).

Champion U-joint

I had a 2003 champion. front ujoint went bad. there is a place that does drive shafts and springs. about $200. Pretty easy to remove the shaft and replace it. Pm me if you are interested in more information

Just wanted to know where you found the parts for $200 - I need the same.

Appreciate any info you can send my way.

GL1800 champion trike differential fluid check/change

I have a friend that use-to-have a 1997 Goldwing Champion trike. After only about 30,000 miles, the driveshaft u-joint broke and caused other twisted damage to the driveshaft. He tried to get one covered under warranty, but Champion would not offer any help. He had to purchase a new one from Champion for six hundred something, and ended up installing it himself. On a 1500 driveshaft replacement, you must remove all the bolts holding the rear diff, and slide it rearward. This was the instruction from Champion itself. That trike was fixed, later sold, and now he has a gl1800 Champion trike, without any problems. I also have a gl1800 Champion trike, that has never had any problems, EXCEPT for the constant noisy rear pads that seem to never go away ( this problem is actually listed on their website, but Champion still wont stand behind any repairs ).

Hi folks, new member, shop bills 3-4 hours to change differential fluid. Champion maint list says remove seat for access, I don’t see it. Any advice is appreciated. Tom

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png