Cornering - How fast?

Jul 24, 2013
Gilbert AZ
I bought my first trike about a month ago and I'm still a bit nervous making 90 degree turns.
Question: Will the trike corner as well and fast as a bike and will it start to skid before it tips.
Thanks

Speaking only about the TriGlides, I have not been able to lift a wheel yet. If there is sand, might drift. It just takes practice to get a feel for cornering. Try faster and faster speeds. But only what feels like full contact. And, yes, I find I can corner with the best of bikes.

bought my trike early spring, have over 2000 miles so far, it's the one thing I'm still having trouble with, mostly highway speeds where the forces are stronger on big curves giving the feeling of tipping,, guessing I'll ne ed another 2000. Hard to go from 20 years of leaning to not.

I would imagine the responses you get to this are as varied as the types/set-ups of trikes and rider familiarity/skills with a particular trike.

I have found, since triking my GL1800 w/ a CSC IS kit, that I am able to manuever safely through corners faster than I could on 2 wheels. But I gave myself 5K miles or so before "pushing" the envelope, as it were. Never attempt a cornering speed you are uncomfortable or familiar with. That's a recipe for diasaster. Give yourself time, and rembember that "stupid hurts".

I know with my current trike set-up, it will slide or drift, but I have never had a sensation of tipping over in a corner. It takes practice, and not only that, you have to practice the right techniques.

The technique I use is to downshift to the appropriate gear, to where I can accelerate through the turn. When the added torque comes into play, the rear suspension settles a bit and pushes you through the turn as you pass the curve apex and exit the turn. Never come into a turn too fast and brake hard. If you find yourself coming into a turn a bit too fast, maintaining correct lane position and slighlty accelerating, is in my judgement, a better choice than hitting the brakes.

There is absolutely no substitute for being familiar with your trike and many miles of safe driving.

08 GL1800 CSC Cobra XL - 113K safe & trouble free miles!
Eagle Man

I've got just under 40,000 miles on my '09 Triglide. I'm 5'10" 255# The trike still feels like it is going to tip over, or toss me off, around sharp corners. I could go MUCH faster around turns on my Ultra or Dyna than I do on the trike. I think most of my 2 wheel buddies slow down a bit in the twisties, they are all very experienced riders, just younger and less infirm than me. I'm on a trike because of problems with my heart and joints, otherwise I'd still be on 2. Good Luck with your new skoot, ride it, enjoy it. You have nothing to prove to anyone. Someone somewhere will always have a bigger better faster bike, so why fight it.

Eagle Man has some good pointers, biggest thing is don't try to ride beyond your abilities. Practice and take baby steps if your uncomfortable.

One thing I would add when taking a corner. If for some reason things are not going the way you had planed don't just chop the throttle, this unloads the suspension and can make matters go from bad to worse. Keep the power there and use some rear brake to slow it down some, just use enough brake to help settle into a line your more comfortable with.

One thing I can say about the Triglide I owned is it was very predictable through the corners and could take them hotter than 2 wheel cruiser type bikes even dared to. Right now I have my 2012 GL1800 at the Hannigan factory being converted, I'm anxious to get back on 3 wheels and have some more fun in the twisties.

I have around 12k miles on my Champion SA 1800 wing did my first real twisties on it in Black Mountain NC two up. I did well and only got a little scared on a fast down hill right hander went in to it way too Hot but never lifted a wheel. I expect our October ride in the mountains will help me learn just a little more.

To start I've been riding my 2011 Tri Glide for 27 months and 21,000 miles and I have no trouble keeping up with the 2 wheelers in the twisties. Take you time to start with. Getting to know how the trike handles in the curves comes with experience. 90 degree turns are no different. But I wouldn't recommend making a 90 degree turn at 50 MPH. I've taken some fairly fast corners and have not had a rear wheel even start to lift on my Tri Glide. The only wheel on mine that I have ever had come off the ground is the front wheel.
Dan

See if someone offers a trike course within a day's ride from you. Trike courses are not easy to find. Some dealers offer them

In the class I took, we learned you can make it slide, drift and go up on two wheels at low speeds, and why you would want to know how and why to do it.

Right now I have my 2012 GL1800 at the Hannigan factory being converted, I'm anxious to get back on 3 wheels and have some more fun in the twisties.

Yeah Mike,,,, but remember you're going to have one of those broken rear ends !
Be sure to make room to let those TriGlides by !:p

Yeah Mike,,,, but remember you're going to have one of those broken rear ends !
Be sure to make room to let those TriGlides by !:p

I'm looking forward to wringing out the IRS, I took a short ride on one this past spring and it felt pretty darn good through the one corner I put it through. I also went out of my way to hit every bump I could point it at:D, I was pretty impressed with the ride quality.

Give the devil his due, Harley did one thing right when they designed the Triglide and that is make it handle well.

One thing I would add to cornering is know your limits of trike control with braking. Pushing the trike into a corner and having no experience with how the trike will react can be disastrous. Keep a good grip on the handlebars but dont grip so tight that you forget to use your front brakes. Pushing down on the floorboard into the turn will also help with maintaining balance on your trike.

One other thing to add, I had to get use to riding the interstate and coming down the hill to the bottom of the grade, there is almost always a curve and the road rolls outward from the direction your turning. Add in the occasional bridge at the bottom of both the hill and curve to add a big bump at the bridge approach and you will pulling some seat back out of your rear if your not ready for it.

with my new motor trike kit I have air bags. is this just for ride quality or does it help with roll out in the curves? dealer didn't tell me much about it. running about 25lbs now.

with my new motor trike kit I have air bags. is this just for ride quality or does it help with roll out in the curves? dealer didn't tell me much about it. running about 25lbs now.

Ride quality. The coil over spring shocks control the body roll and help dampen the bumps.

Depending on your weight and if you ride solo or 2 up. You might need to bump the air pressure up some for solo and add 10 lbs plus for a passenger. I like a firmer ride and less travel in the suspension. I keep my air bag pressure higher and run 25-28 lbs in the rear tires

I'm not sure why anyone would want to "push it to the limit" anyway. I guess one way to do it is to keep trying to turn it over until you do, and then when you get out of the hospital go 10 MPH slower. But I don't think it would be worth it, at least not to me.

I'm looking forward to wringing out the IRS, I took a short ride on one this past spring and it felt pretty darn good through the one corner I put it through. I also went out of my way to hit every bump I could point it at:D, I was pretty impressed with the ride quality.

Give the devil his due, Harley did one thing right when they designed the Triglide and that is make it handle well.

I think you are going to love it ! It might feel a bit sluggish in the turns because of the longer wheelbase, but you will have enough power to take care of that.
I rode my brother-in-laws GW trike a few years ago, & it felt like I was plowing through the turns. But he didn't have an easy steer which he later put on. It wasn't Hannigan, & I can't remember which one it was. But it did have the IRS w/ford rear end. Along with a longer wheelbase than Harley.

Keep pushing the limit, every time you make around that 90* turn, go 5 mph faster the next time. When you wreck, you will know your trikes limit.

Tree Of Shame - YouTube

Pictures of "The tree of Shame" decorated with motorcycle parts from people that wanted to test their riding skills on a winding road at Deal's Gap. Friend of mine lost his Ultra testing it's ability, slid across the road and took our 2 guys on Suzukis going the other way. $600,000.00 judgment and a totaled Ultra. He had $300,000.00 property damage insurance.

Keep pushing the limit, every time you make around that 90* turn, go 5 mph faster the next time. When you wreck, you will know your trikes limit.

Ever since man has been on earth he has pushed limits, we wouldn't have most of what we have now if mad had not questioned, experimented and pushed limits. Some are comfortable trying to find the edge and others would rather stay 20 feet away from the edge, its the nature of the beast.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png