Cornering - How fast?

Thanks Guys! I'm new to Trikes also. I picked up my 2014 TriGlide on 08/26. It is definitely a learning process. I traded in an Ultra Limited. I was ready to kit my 2011 but after looking at Roadsmith, Hannagan etc. it was $16,000 before sales tax. Same price with a good trade and I have a new Triglide with all the bells and whistles. I have no regrets.

I was glad to see the advice on techniques for riding. It is very hard to find that info. I took the course 8 months ago and went back to 2 wheels. After 500 miles, I'm getting better. Just have to get over the mental part of feeling the bike will tip. I love low speed maneuvers and gravel parking lots but am still uncomfortable at 60+ because the steering is so sensitive. Anyway experience and more miles will solve a lot. I appreciate the great advice from those you that have been there and done that.

Thanks

Practice, practice, practice!! Find an empty parking lot and start doing figure 8's and u-turns. The Trike will not tip over! Ride as much as you can and take as many curves and turns as you can. Trust me - once you get over the feeling that the trike is going to throw you off or tip over - you'll have an absolute BLAST on the twisties and mountain curves!!!
I absolutely cannot believe how fast I can now take the Beartooth switchbacks - the trike sticks to the road like glue. It's WAY more fun than I ever had with my Road King -seriously.
And - it's another blast leading the "pack" on a trike - the 2-wheelers can't believe it - and that even makes it more "fun"!!!
I'd never go back to 2-wheels although I had a great time on them too!

:Trike1: I have learned that old saying "practice, practice, practice" is the best teacher. The more time you spend in the saddle the more comfortable you become with the different sensation of trike driving. Also it is okay to lean your body in a turn for improved handlebar leverage along with the pushing down on the outside foot board as previously mentioned. Remembering to push on the outside grip and pull on the inside grip helps. A Tri Glide will safely corner with the two wheelers just fine. Relax, practice and enjoy. I hope this helps.

If the turn is tight enough you will skip the front wheel as you are accelerating out of the apex. In tighter turns you are usually down in the lower gears which will have much better pulling power. The result is the front end gets a little light and hence the front wheel can come off the road surface just a bit.

If the turn is tight enough you will skip the front wheel as you are accelerating out of the apex. In tighter turns you are usually down in the lower gears which will have much better pulling power. The result is the front end gets a little light and hence the front wheel can come off the road surface just a bit.

This is one thing we will be working on this winter with my dads 09 Triglide. While talking about suspensions with a good friend of mine who installs Traxxion and Race Tech he mentioned most of the time when the front end is skipping is when it isn't following the road contours properly. We're going to ship off the fork legs to him and have him do a complete Race Tech upgrade on them and set them up how they should be. They do work on quite a few trikes besides the 2 wheelers.

I have no problem keeping up with any of my chapter members. In fact I usually have to let off on the gas most of the time. Maybe a pro racer will be able to outride me, but not a weekend rider. I do like looking back and seeing the 2 wheelers slowly (and quite wide) coming out of a tight sweeper.
Yes, I do tend to push (nudge is a better word) the limit sometimes, but I know my limit. ThumbUp

Typically my riding style is 95% laid back and relaxed and 5% eyes wide open and screaming.

I have no problem keeping up with any of my chapter members. In fact I usually have to let off on the gas most of the time. Maybe a pro racer will be able to outride me, but not a weekend rider. I do like looking back and seeing the 2 wheelers slowly (and quite wide) coming out of a tight sweeper.
Yes, I do tend to push (nudge is a better word) the limit sometimes, but I know my limit. ThumbUp

Typically my riding style is 95% laid back and relaxed and 5% eyes wide open and screaming.

I certainly hope you don't find your limit. It could hurt.ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png