Hearing a ticking noise

Reaction score
About two weeks ago I started hearing a ticking noise on my 2011 TG which has about 9k miles. It kinda sounds like rocker noise or an out of adjustment lifter on a car engine. I begin to noticing the noise above 2000 rpm on a fully warmed engine. Last week I stopped by my local HD Service and asked if someone could take it for a run. The service guy on the desk ran it around the block and came back and stated he did not hear anything unusual. While riding this weekend, I began to hear the ticking noise again.

When it comes to motorcycles I have no mechanical abilities so I have HD do all my service. However, I did take out the owners manual and checked the oil level and found that it was at the add oil level on the stick. I added about 1/2 quart of HD synthetic to bring the level up to the middle of stick. Took the bike out for a ride and it seemed to help a little but I could still hear the ticking noise.

Is this normal sound?

Or is it the beginning of a major mechanical problem in my engine? Should I be using a different type of oil other than Syn in all 3 holes when they do my 10k service?

Any suggestions or recommendations would greatly be appreciated.

right side of bike the noise around the top and side area by the push rods by chance??

I've had the same noise since about 4000 miles. Got the same answer from the tech that took it for a test ride.

OK try not to laugh but your best bet in finding the noise is a Stethoscope. Play Doctor by placing the scope in the area of the lifters and also up top on the heads to check the rockers. Don't be surprised if you find the area but it will probably turn out to be fairly normal for the HD. If you can isolate the component it will be easier to talk with the dealership. They need all the guidance you can provide. Make sure you have the issue documented by the dealership. You may need this later. Tapping is a common complaint on most harley web sites. I have not heard of any actual serious issue nor have I experienced any long term issue on my bikes. They both have some tapping noise.
09 Softail & 13 TG .

OK try not to laugh but your best bet in finding the noise is a Stethoscope. Play Doctor by placing the scope in the area of the lifters and also up top on the heads to check the rockers. Don't be surprised if you find the area but it will probably turn out to be fairly normal for the HD. If you can isolate the component it will be easier to talk with the dealership. They need all the guidance you can provide. Make sure you have the issue documented by the dealership. You may need this later. Tapping is a common complaint on most harley web sites. I have not heard of any actual serious issue nor have I experienced any long term issue on my bikes. They both have some tapping noise.

09 Softail & 13 TG .

What he said.

Top end noise is normal.

Some have more than others. Most will be louder as it get closer to time to change the oil, and most will be louder in higher ambient temps. Also, different oils will make it louder or quieter.

Maybe chain slap in primary??? if its the left side..??

Maybe have someone else listen maybe someone with good hearing

Some ticking is normal, That said just in case check the front stabilizer bolts.
At the top of the front head they are 9/16 in. there's two bolts. Had mine loosen and they sounded like a lifter..:Shrug:

Should I be using a different type of oil other than Syn in all 3 holes when they do my 10k service?

Any suggestions or recommendations would greatly be appreciated.

The only suggestion I have is to get the Syn 3 out of the Primary and put Formula + in it. It will make a difference for a lot of things, but it may not get rid of your ticking sound.

Ive had Harleys most of my life.. they have ALWAYS had a ticking noise, that's just the nature of the beast, specially the old Panheads with solids..

Not to be disagreeable with those who have ticking noises, BUT.....

I certainly would not accept as "normal", any noise that suddenly started coming from the engine that had not been present during the first 9,000 miles.

Just sayin'..... :Shrug:

If it does it at idle i'd be checking the lifters real soon or you may be replacing cams and oil pump. I've just replaced mine for the second time. I only have 17,000 on mine. This time I put in Competition Cam lifters,not stock. The dealership put stock lifters in a high performance motor. That's just plain stupid. This time it was out of warranty. Plus they put a SE oil pump in. I didn't let Harley work on it this time either. If that Tapping gets louder you better get it in quick. Jim

Some ticking is normal, That said just in case check the front stabilizer bolts.
At the top of the front head they are 9/16 in. there's two bolts. Had mine loosen and they sounded like a lifter..:Shrug:

Went for a ride today, and at a stop light i hear that sound again,
Guess i joned myself by mentioning those bolts, They were hand lose ready to fall out...
But experience taught me to carry a 9/16 box wrench with me, So i pulled over tighten them.
When i got home i pulled them out cleaned them with brake cleaner,Then used lock-tight... [again] This will be the third time they came lose in 20 thousand miles...

I had mine come completely out last year when Dennis and I drove to Maggie Valley for the Rally. It was pretty loud. Dennis noticed something different one time when we were stopped in traffic on I-75. It dented my rocker cover. Jim P.S. I'm glad that's all it was.

Went for a ride today, and at a stop light i hear that sound again,
Guess i joned myself by mentioning those bolts, They were hand lose ready to fall out...
But experience taught me to carry a 9/16 box wrench with me, So i pulled over tighten them.
When i got home i pulled them out cleaned them with brake cleaner,Then used lock-tight... [again] This will be the third time they came lose in 20 thousand miles...

Don't know which loc-tite you use, but you might try the green bearing mount. It is permanent & would need heat to take apart. But then again, that is what is on those bolts anyway.
If you are under any warranty I would make MOCO put the fix to it!

Don't know which loc-tite you use, but you might try the green bearing mount. It is permanent & would need heat to take apart. But then again, that is what is on those bolts anyway.
If you are under any warranty I would make MOCO put the fix to it!

Out of warranty, But even if it were it isn't worth my time to bring it in, It only takes ten minutes to tighten them up, I've tried the blue first now I'm using red.
And if they loosen again I'll try the green.
There was some left over of factory yellow lock-tite on the treads.:Shrug:

tic started in mine about 8000miles. had it to the dealer 3 times no answers. at 17000 miles now and had to replace 255 cams , lifters , and oil pump. front cam,lifters and oil pump really tore up. my mechanic thinks the front lifter was not installed correctly. waiting to get it back. got s&s 551 cams and s&s lifters. I don't remember what brand of pump but it is a good one and it aint Harley.

I had that ticking noise along with just a sissy feeling from the trike. While in for an oil change the dealer found a new program modification that they added and took away all of that noise and made a much stronger trike out of it. I love it now, but was wondering if I had made a bad purchase before.

tic started in mine about 8000miles. had it to the dealer 3 times no answers. at 17000 miles now and had to replace 255 cams , lifters , and oil pump. front cam,lifters and oil pump really tore up. my mechanic thinks the front lifter was not installed correctly. waiting to get it back. got s&s 551 cams and s&s lifters. I don't remember what brand of pump but it is a good one and it aint Harley.

There are only 3 pumps available, Feuling, Thayer and Harley. The Thayer is a 3 stage pump which isn't recommended for crankshafts which have not been trued and plugged. I'll your pump may be a Feuling, the S&S lifters are a pretty good lifter so you should be good to go there. Its pretty tough to not install a lifter correctly on the Twin Cam, they have a bar that keeps them from rotating, the bar sets in the right case half and into a flat spot on the lifter, both sides of the lifter have the flat spot and it makes no difference which way the lifter is put in. I'll bet the roller failed which your mechanic should have been able to tell.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png