car dolly/ bike hauler/problem

eagle1

May 8, 2011
peru,in,usa
work in-progress here and give us more details
trailer treads are too wide for the triglide.
in most states no license plates needed. suggestions.i didn't build this trailer., another guy on this site did.hope he will chime in

Attachments

• car dolly trailer.jpg
    car dolly trailer.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
A little cutting and welding and one should be able to narrow it down to the width one needs. I wouldn't think it would be to hard to do.
Looking at it there would be a considerable amount of tongue weight as the trikes front wheel would be right behind the hitch it self. Will the hitch your hooking to handle it?
I can't say how well it may tow but I would think it would work.

100_3569.jpgI built one this past summer out of a car dolly and it pulls great. The final cost was
$900.00. I am loading a Honda VTX 1800 with a Champion trike kit. The original loading ramps
work well and I just added a center (removeable) ramp for the front wheel. the tongue weight is more than I would like however
I have a strong receiver on my truck and a strong tongue on the trailer. I pulled it to Panama City from Tennessee at 75 and 80 mph
with no bounce or side to side movement. Being only 10 inches off the ground it really loads easy.

Last edited:
question for mountain ride

can your creation convert back to a car hauler so it can serve duty as either/or? what is the tongue weight?
View attachment 19395I built one this past summer out of a car dolly and it pulls great. The final cost was
$900.00. I am loading a Honda VTX 1800 with a Champion trike kit. The original loading ramps
work well and I just added a center (removeable) ramp for the front wheel. the tongue weight is more than I would like however
I have a strong receiver on my truck and a strong tongue on the trailer. I pulled it to Panama City from Tennessee at 75 and 80 mph
with no bounce or side to side movement. Being only 10 inches off the ground it really loads easy.

car dolly

I removed the swivel plate from the car dolly leaving the loading ramps in place. I then removed to tongue and replaced it with a 3 inch square thick wall steel tubing by 14 foot piece and then moved the receiver over on to the new tongue. We then placed the trailer with the bike on it on a pair of computer scales to see where we were on weight. To my surprise we were #450 on each rear wheel and #475 on the tongue. I then checked the manufactors guide for weight on both my pickup and the Ford Explorer and I am within my limits. In the last 2 years I have pulled this combination all over the country with no problems.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png