Fender Protection

I had 3m protective film installed, the guy did a great job. You would be hard pressed to even tell its on there, I have to look real hard and feel for it.

A buddy of min had the 3M on his Mercedes, like msocko3 said, you'd have to feel around for it if, its done correctly. That will be one of the first things I do,once I get my trike.

I have not done it to my fenders altho a fellow in a neighboring town did. I did have my running boards (ground effects) sprayed with Linex after I returned from my trip to the Arctic Circle. The paint was badly chipped from the gravel and this was cheaper than painting and should never have to be redone. I like it and several people have said it looks stock. Haven't taken a picture yet but will soon.

I tried the 3m protective sold by H-D.
It was a disaster!
Followed the directions and even bought the applicator, Scotchal 71607, $17.
The first problem was the film. A clear film on a clear backing.
Had to use a razor blade to seperate the two, stabbing at the cornors to find the seam.
Even used a table mounted magnifing glass. Oh yes, one of the smaller pieces the backing was off and it was stuck to another. Had to use the glass and a lot of solution to seperate. The film being so thin it would curl up and stick. Seperating was a challenge because of streching the film.
Once I had the two seperated(film,backing). I drenched the area with the shampoo solution to wash off any dust particals. Applied the film, lifted up half of the film to spray on the alcohol to activate the glue, repositioned and squeegeed the film.
Results, spects under the film!
I believe by lifting up the film no. of times causes the adhesive to ball, thus the spects.
Not much play time for repositioning.
My advice is to let a professional apply the film.
For Sale....Application Squeeqee!

Last edited:
It was a disaster!
Had to use a razor blade to seperate the two, stabbing at the cornors to find the seam.
Even used a table mounted magnifing glass. Oh yes, one of the smaller pieces the backing was off and it was stuck to another. Had to use the glass and a lot of solution to seperate. The film being so thin it would curl up and stick. Seperating was a challenge because of streching the film.
Once I had the two seperated(film,backing). I drenched the area with the shampoo solution to wash off any dust particals. Applied the film, lifted up half of the film to spray on the alcohol to activate the glue, repositioned and squeegeed the film.
I believe by lifting up the film no. of times causes the adhesive to ball, thus the spects.

Your right on the money about letting a professional do the install. The guy who did mine was great, he came right to my dads garage where we work on bikes and trikes and did the install. While talking with him I found out he had been doing it for 13 years, when he 1st started he practiced on his own cars and messed up a lot. While watching him I know there is no way I could do what he did, he was very skilled at working the material.

I had the 3M on a black bike took a direct hit from a boot, scuffed it so bad I tried everything to try and get the scuff mark out but never did. Just got a 2014.HD now makes a scuff guard that looks like the floorboard and is made of a rubber material.

Priced the LineX and found it to be to expensive for me!
It is a sem-smooth texture and the appearance was not to my liking although, it can be color matched to some colors, not all.
My installer has a professional do the 3M film.
I had all forward facing surfaces completely covered. This is much more area than the pre-cut sets that are available.
Also did areas on the foot fairngs that rider and passenger feet coould contact if not real careful where feet were placed!
3 years now and doing it's job very well!
As far as scuffing it with a "boot". Happened to me also. There is no removing a mark such as this as the material has served it's purpose!!! Simply replace that piece!

I had the 3m installed a lil over a year ago by an unprofessional professional.The job looks like crap,but it has protected my paint very good.I've been searching central il. for another installer but haven't found one yet.I'm thinking of a new trike this spring,& that is one of the first things i want done.I think the 3m is the best ,if you can find someone that knows what he's doing.

I had the 3M installed on my Trike ( 2009 ) as soon as I got it. The film still looks good and I am very happy with it. The installer did an excellent job.

I have flat black vehicle body wrap material on my fenders. Took about two minutes per fender to install. It comes in eleven different colors. Installer said the reason it goes on so ease is there are tiny serrations on the sticky side allowing the air to escape during application. Has been on for over 15,000 miles and still looks new.

Attachments

• 7314.jpg
    7314.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 206
Harley's 3M is way too expensive. I bought 8' x 2' roll from the internet for $54. I made templates for the different areas that I wanted to cover. Made my own pieces with a lot left over for replacements if needed.
You can get different thicknesses of the 3M film.

I still have a lot left over from my original rill to add to my new 2014 TG

Now I'm thinking I would like to try that new 3M spray on film. Looks way easier to apply to compound curves then the film. ThumbUp

3M is great stuff.

Gary.I tried the spray,it's pretty thin.I tried to get it on as thick as i could but i didn't have much for luck with it.I had no runs,but i had a few lil specks & no matter what i did i couldn't get them out.You may have better luck with it then i did.I'm going to try to find someone to install the 3m.

It was a disaster!

Ditto here tried to install on my Bandit 1250 what a pile of dog poo that turned out to be.

I had no problem installing the 3M film. I even made my own pieces.
I guess if you don't know how to do something you shouldn't bad mouth the product - it's not the products fault that you installed it wrong. Like what others are saying - if you're unsure on how to do something, get a professional to do it. ThumbUp

I suppose some folks are just better than others at doing stuff. Good that you are one of those folks. Thanks for the advice.

Your right on the money about letting a professional do the install. The guy who did mine was great, he came right to my dads garage where we work on bikes and trikes and did the install. While talking with him I found out he had been doing it for 13 years, when he 1st started he practiced on his own cars and messed up a lot. While watching him I know there is no way I could do what he did, he was very skilled at working the material.

Have a kin folk in the Austin area that applies Xpel product to high end vehicles. He's talked to me several times about putting it on my trike but keeps telling me that I should let him do it cause it can be trickey. Checked out their website and you CAN buy it by the foot.

Have a couple friends that went to SEMA this year and saw Xpel there applying it to new Corvettes and Ferrari's. Said those installers were magicians installing that stuff. Said they had kits for nearly everything BUT a TG. I'm real tempted to, as they would say across the pond, buy some and "give it a go".

www.xpel.com

o~\o

Wifey and I want something unique.So we are going to make our own handcrafted leather bras with basketweave pattern.Waiting for the leather to arrive.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png