Finished the Trike

Reaction score
I finally finished the trike and took it on a brief test run. This thing rides like a go-kart and is a blast to ride. I did not do the trees and I find the steering easier than the sidecar rig so I am good with it for now. The next day I rode the first leg of the Trail of Tears commemorative ride during a torrential down pour. :) I had to take the floor boards off becasue they will not work with the exhaust. Oh Well, I should be able to sell them for 50%to75% and get a new set of rain gear since i found out mine sucks. Anyway, here are pics of the finished product.

Just Finished

20130918_065339.jpg

20130922_110955.jpg

20130922_111629.jpg

And finally the wife gets her spot back :Angel:

20130922_112317.jpg

Here is the pair together:

20130922_111613.jpg

Foodog,

After you've put some miles in the trike post up a comparison with pros and cons of a factory HD sidecar vs. the Frankenstein trike as I sometimes wonder if I should have gotten a sidecar instead if building a trike.

We have had our trike for over a year now. We had a FLH Classic w/ sidecar and the wife and I like the steering of the trike over the hack. The trike steers the same both diections. With the hack left turns were easyier than right turns. Since these were both for the wife I let her decide. IMO, I like the trike better also.

Foodog,

After you've put some miles in the trike post up a comparison with pros and cons of a factory HD sidecar vs. the Frankenstein trike as I sometimes wonder if I should have gotten a sidecar instead if building a trike.

I built the trike because the sidecar rig is a lot of work to drive around town. That said, if the wife or kids are going they will pick the sidecar for rider comfort all day long. I can tell you after a few hundred miles the trike is better from a driver persprctive. I am sure a touring model trike would be even more comfy. I test drove a triglide and a lehman electraglide conversion which were great but broke the bank :)

I bought it used but after talking to Daniel and Frank at Frankenstein its all the standard stuff so its the 38" sport and 2 - 15" x 8" American Eagle wheels, 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern, 3 1/4" back spacing, 215/60-15 tires.

The more I ride mine the more I like it. I suggest not getting their exhaust and get the V&H big radius 2into2. Otherwise you will spend a lot of time cleaning exhaust grime from the right side of the rear end. I also put the Dyna floorboard kit on, but it took a spacer on the right side rear mount to clear the 2into2 big radius.

I chose not to do the raked triple tree because I am used to hard steering on my sidecar rig and thought the trike was easy. I installed it with one person and no help but you really need 2 people to get the belt on. I can't say enough good things about Frankenstein answering the phone for any question. Pm me if you have questions.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png