cams for 103 motors on a Trike

...... start since most Tri glide come with the automatic compression release. You are paying for something you did not need.

Interesting statement. Have looked at several Tri-Glides, plus the one I own and none of them have/had factory compression releases. Have checked out the Rushmore models and although not specifically looking for compression releases didn't notice any of them having releases.

Which ones are you talking about ?

Tell you one thing the S&S Easy Start cams are easy on the starters.

8~\o

Interesting statement. Have looked at several Tri-Glides, plus the one I own and none of them have/had factory compression releases. Have checked out the Rushmore models and although not specifically looking for compression releases didn't notice any of them having releases.

Which ones are you talking about ?

Tell you one thing the S&S Easy Start cams are easy on the starters.

8~\o

Not sure of the exact model year HD switched but I believe it was 2013 when auto compression releases became Standard Equipment on ALL 103 and 110 engines. It may have been 2012 but it is one of the two years. The 96 engines did not get the Auto Compression releases Standard.

Not sure of the exact model year HD switched but I believe it was 2013 when auto compression releases became Standard Equipment on ALL 103 and 110 engines. It may have been 2012 but it is one of the two years. The 96 engines did not get the Auto Compression releases Standard.

Nope, got a '13 103 and it doesn't have 'em. Kinda funny but I just found a couple different articles about the 2012-2013 having automatic compression releases but they dang sure don't. Matter of fact I just walked to the shop and looked again, thinking I might be on drugs....Nope, no releases.

Like Abraham Lincoln said "you can't believe everything you read on the interweb"

8~\o

Nope, got a '13 103 and it doesn't have 'em. Kinda funny but I just found a couple different articles about the 2012-2013 having automatic compression releases but they dang sure don't. Matter of fact I just walked to the shop and looked again, thinking I might be on drugs....Nope, no releases.

Like Abraham Lincoln said "you can't believe everything you read on the interweb"

8~\o

The TG's have them. You just can't see them in the heads by the spark plugs like where the old manual push button's were located.
I believe they exhaust out under the fuel tank out of view. I'm sure someone here can explain exactly where.

Here are some heads with the ACR's that were for sale. This gives you a location reference to see where the ACR is located. You have to get your hand in between the bosses on top of the head, between the head bolts furthest from the spark plug. It is against the head seal area. Under the rocker box.

454037d1450922368-harley-acr-heads-img_9089-large-.jpg

454041d1450922368-harley-acr-heads-img_9096-large-.jpg

This is why you are having trouble finding the ACR's . They aren't located where the manual release's were.

Here are what they look like.

454036d1450922368-harley-acr-heads-img_9086-large-.jpg

Have the primary off my trike replacing the inner primary with a little chrome bling. Got down and could see something a little strange behind the spark plug but couldn't make it out. If that's a window I need to get out the Windex.....cause my windows are very dirty. Dug out my parts book and low and behold there it's listed.....a solenoid/compression release. Who'd a thunk......

I did install the S&S 557 with the Easy Start function several months ago. I called the tech at S&S to question the redundancy of this added function. I did not tell him I already been running the cam for nearly a year now but lead him to believe I was shopping around. He assured me the Easy Start is a whole lot easier on the starter than with just the Harley solenoid.

?????

8~\o

Andrews 48H cams seam to pull good from 2000 rpm to 5000 rpm in a 2013 Tri Glide. They don't come on as fast as a Woods cam might, but they do pull very strong, without increased valve train noise.

Note that in 2014 the compression on the 103 in the Tri Glides went to 10:1, which is a little higher than the recommended compression ratio for these cams.

Andrews 48H cams seam to pull good from 2000 rpm to 5000 rpm in a 2013 Tri Glide. They don't come on as fast as a Woods cam might, but they do pull very strong, without increased valve train noise.

Note that in 2014 the compression on the 103 in the Tri Glides went to 10:1, which is a little higher than the recommended compression ratio for these cams.

when u say 'pull good' does this mean 'uphill' or 'acceleration' or when towing by chance?

cams for 103

Well, just a recap when I ask about a cam for a 103. My 2010 Triglide now and has a S&S 557 cam plus true duals and larger air fltr. and tuner. The 2010 did come with compression release. Does great thru the gears but drops down after 70mph. More so when riding 2 up. More noticable I should say (2). Need to get it retuned (dynoed) because it is missing alittle this year. Gotta find a good tuner in my area since mine retired here in SE Michigan.

when u say 'pull good' does this mean 'uphill' or 'acceleration' or when towing by chance?

Uphill and acceleration. I almost always ride this 2 up and loaded down, but haven't pulled a trailer with it yet.

I've been getting only about 25 mpg between 75 and 85 mph. Now I'm thinking about going to the S&S 557 to see if I can get better mileage.

The dealer recommended the SE 254 cams. I installed the se 254, TTS tuner, Arlen Ness A/C. Was happy for a couple of years with this set up until my engine blew up last weekend. Don't think any of these items caused the failure. Now going to the 120ST which has 259E cams, we will see.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png