Compression release valves

Sep 23, 2013
Carleton, Michigan
A friend of mine has the same Trike year I have and is having compression release valves sticking on him or maybe not working at all? How can we unstick them and where to look. I am thinking of just using WD40 when we find out where to spray into to release the sticky ones (if that is the problem) 2010 103cc Triglide.

If they came stock on the bike they are Automatic Compression Releases. I believe you would have to remove the tank to gain access to them. If you have a Service manual you might look them up and see if they can be serviced.

He is going for a Stage 1 soon and I will have him ask his Mechanic (who is mine also) to check for that. Thanks. I just thought that maybe we could see the Valves and maybe shoot some WD40 on them and free them up (if they were stickin). He said he had never had the bike tuned since buying it. It is all stock right now. I thought that I could get to them behind the AC plate, but I guess not.

Why do you feel that the ACR's are sticking. The only real way of knowing if a ACR or both ACR's are sticking would be when you start the bike up and you hear air coming out of the cylinder are the same pulse as the motor is turning over. Then once you don't hear that air noise anymore you will know that the ACR's have closed.

I have had both manual and auto ACR's. With the ACR I have never heard any air come out after the motor started. With my manuals I did have one that would stick and you could hear the cylinder air coming out of it until I pulled it closed. Always hated having to do that cause it would put my fingers right next to the spark plug.

He is going for a Stage 1 soon and I will have him ask his Mechanic (who is mine also) to check for that. Thanks. I just thought that maybe we could see the Valves and maybe shoot some WD40 on them and free them up (if they were stickin). He said he had never had the bike tuned since buying it. It is all stock right now. I thought that I could get to them behind the AC plate, but I guess not.

To get at them you would have to pull the tank, unload the valve train, remove the rocker support and the lower rocker box section. Then you would need the socket for removing/installing the releases.

This is the release in the socket, sorry for the crappy picture, I don't know of any way to lube them without pulling them.

acr1.jpg

thank you all for the INFORMATION. First I couldn't hear any air noise because we both are hard of hearing. Second, I really am not that good of a mechanic to tear everything off and hope I do the right thing. I will let the mechanic figure this one out.
I was just hoping that maybe there was a EASIER solution.

Read on this board a while back that the ACR's were 'leaking' and causing the bike to run lean (HOT) They said after several complaints to the dealer they were replaced and the heat problem went away....

Good Luck.

Your right, they did have some issues with ACR's sticking open. It doesn't happen often these days but can still happen. The only real way to begin trouble shooting it is with a compression test.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png