10K maintenance

Nov 25, 2012
New Market MD
So I'm new with Harley's. I bought a 2010 TG in Jan with 8k in miles. Just went over 10k...aout 10500 and I need to get it in for it's check up.

I called the local HD shop and they qoute 500 for the treatment.
I have a local cycle repair who says they can do it for abou 150 + parts or I can supply parts.

Looking at the oil. The last owner gave me a bottle of AMSOIL Syntehtic 10W40 which is what he has in it.

Is this any good? Can I or should I switch to regular HD oil? or do you all recommend something else.

Also, is the 500 worth it or can it be done for the 150+ parts==guess 225 or so in total?

thanks for any input you all give

rayg5102...
ps I am enjying the hell out of this trike

You have one of the best oils in the market. But JJHOG is right on with the 20W50.
Do you know what is in the other spots ? like transmission & primary?
I run Amsoil 75/120 in the trans, some like Sprectro heavy & Formula + in the primary. I am using 20W50 Amsoil in my primary at this time, but plan to try the Formula+.
It is best to stay with synthetic oils for better temp tolerance.

I'm running Red Line Products in all three holes. Love the improvement on the positive feel in the tranny with this stuff...

The independent shops will generally be less expensive than the HD dealership. Many have top notch mechanics that will save you dollars in the long run. Check with other riders in your area-I'm sure they have preferences.

I have a '10 TG and switched from Syn3 to Amsoil. Highly recommend it. The HD Syn3 was fine. I find better cold weather starting with Amsoil. In all holes. If no extended warranty involved, I would go with cheaper tuneup.

I also run Amsoil in all 3 holes....20/50 (code MCV) in the engine & primary and Severe Gear 75/110 (code SVT) in the transmission. These oils work great for me.

I do my own service but if I was going to take it to somebody I would not have a problem taking it to an independent mechanic who had a good reputation or a dealer mechanic who does it on the side. I would only take it to the dealer for warranty issues or if there was no other choice simply due to cost!

Services at our Local Harley Dealer runs 200 to 300 dollars depending on mileage. I'm not a mechanic and too old to be crawling around the garage floor. (Would take me more time to get up than do the service). I've used HD syn3 and Aimsoil in all my bikes, you just can't go wrong, synthetic oil runs cooler than regular oil.

Enjoy that trike!

Found another local repair guy recommended by someone at work. Gonna go check him out this weekend and see how I feel.
thanks for the info...appreciate it

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png