Reverse(to do or not to do)

crzrlou

Aug 3, 2009
Palmyra, Mo.
While I have my bike tore down to convert to a trike I am having trouble deciding weather to add a reverse or not. Money is holding back my decision. Any ideas on where to get a good deal. Does Harley make a reverse kit now than would fit an 05 Flht? If so does any one know a part#? Some sites sell Harley parts at a 20% discount if you know the part#.

I can only tell you that good reverse (Champion, AIM, etc) can be easily added at any time in the future if you aren't feeling comfortable with the extra money right now. I actually opted to leave it off on my Fat Boy/Champion kit for now. So far, I maneuver it easily without reverse, and generally can park where I don't even wish I had it. Probably in the future I will opt to add it, but I'm fine for now.

The HD reverse won't go onto your trike conversion without quite a bit of work. I would not recommend it to you or anyone else either.
Personally, the mechanical reverse is the only way to go, if you think you may need it, or like to have it. My FLHX trike with an M/T conversion pushes around pretty easily on fairly flat ground, but I really don't want to do that, so I use reverse every day. Sure it's a few extra bucks, but you can also add the Champion or AIM mechanical reverse later. You'll have to pull the exhaust, but it's installed entirely from the right side under the trap door. Less than an hour (plus exhaust R&R time)
As far as 'needing' it, there are just as many opinions yes as there are no, so it's really your call. I love it, and never worry about looking for just the right parking spot, but that's just MHO.

crzrlou, I built mine without it. Rode for 6 months and only once needed help getting pushed back out. I purchased an AIM kit and installed it myself. It's not a hard install. I like it a lot. I still plan my parking but if needed I know I can back out myself if necessary.

My bike has REV ( Goldwing ) heavier than a Harley, I maybe used it 12 times in 9 years. Many times if I am having the least bit of trouble backing people are always overly anxious to help. If i were spending the extra and had a choice of rake or REV. , Rake would be my first choice .

Hi,

FWIW, I have the Champion reverse in my Harley (07 Road King---Motor Trike conversion 6 speed).
It was a little pricey, but now I couldn't do without it.
No more backing into parking slots! :D

It's mechanical and can be added at ant time.

Last edited:
I have a o6 with a lehman kit. In 3 years I have only had to have help once. I learned to plan my parking and really do not feel like I need a reverse. I guess it's what you get use to but I have seen more guys on two wheels need a push than on three.

While I have my bike tore down to convert to a trike I am having trouble deciding weather to add a reverse or not. Money is holding back my decision. Any ideas on where to get a good deal. Does Harley make a reverse kit now than would fit an 05 Flht? If so does any one know a part#? Some sites sell Harley parts at a 20% discount if you know the part#.

i luv mine on an 05 ultra by champion. here is the web site :yes:

http://www.championsidecars.com/asp/download.asp?fid=4&fsid=56&eid=5

I also have a Champion reverse, installed it myself, it's not hard. I love it! Could I live with out it? Yes, but I don't want to. :no: I use it every time I ride! So if money is too tight, wait, and install it later if you think you still need it.

I had a 2002 FLHTC and triked it out at M/T with reverse. I did not like it. I now have a new Harley Triglide which comes with a electrical reverse. I love it and use it all the time. Love the trike tool
bill

I had the Lehman dealer intall the Baker F6R reverse on my 07 Ultra at the time of the trike conversion (June 08).

The reverse unit replaces the stock 6-speed transmission end cover on the right hand side of the trike. I've included a photo in my album "Baker-Reverse".

The Baker reverse doesn't have a separate reverse lever like some of the other mechanical units do. Shifting is accomplished through the use of a electric solenoid (cylindrical shaped device mounted on the reverse unit),
and the transmission shift lever. The solenoid is connected to a momentary contact toggle switch mounted in the fairing.

To shift into reverse; a) shift the transmission into 1st gear, b) while holding the momentary switch in the "on" position, downshift the transmission one more click below 1st gear (which is reverse), c) release the switch, and
back-up. The reverse gear has a lower gear ratio tha 1st gear so it's possible to negotiate some fairly steep upgrades, humps, and bumps without smoking the clutch.

To shift out of reverse, simply upshift the transmission one click to 1st gear.
One of the key features that sold me on the Baker system is that you cannot shift into reverse from 1st gear unless you hold the switch in the "on" position, and it is impossible to have the transmission in reverse and a forward gear at the same time.

At the present time I believe that the Baker reverse is only available for 6-speed tranny's but they are working on a version for the 5-speed gearbox' according to the information on the bakerdrivetrain.com website.

Regards :D

Hepengr

I would have preferred the Baker reverse, but like you said, the "F5R" isn't available yet. Baker isn't saying WHEN it will be either, so, I got an AIM reverse.
NM

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png