• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

short trikes

Reaction score
been wanting to build a 'short vw trike". most vw trikes are way too long for
my taste. i understand about wheelbase length and weight transfer. i have
seen a few short versionsshort as in not much loner than a reg motorcycle. just wondered why so many build them as long as a "short school bus". the longer they are the worse they look to me. just want to carry 1 passenger &
not much more. anyone on here ever built a shortie? i know the cons but want
it short. thanks if you have ever done one.BILL

You pose a good question....most VW based trikes are too long for my taste, would be much cuter if they built them 2-3 feet shorter. I cannot see why stability would be affected at all.....and it would lessen the turning radius, thus making them easier to handle in traffic and a ton better looking.:Shrug:

It can be done.

8123237923_0b3f3edc95.jpg

I always thought the longer VW's were just for classic style look. Mine is 11 1/2 feet long and has a turning radius of something like 1 mile. If being used as a regular ride, I could see a normal length being better.

Mine is 12 foot long ThumbUp and got the same turn radius as Bozo and unless your 400 pounds you better build a mid engine can't have your cake and eat it too .It's gonna be hard to drive a short rear engine with the front tire in the air and looking between your knees .:Shrug::Shrug:

I can turn mine around on a two lane road and it's over 11 feet long. Sounds like you will be making a two wheeler and not a three!

You can check my album for several shots of the NovaTrike style. It was initially designed to be very close to the dimensions of a touring Harley. Everything is weight balanced by design to target 100 pounds minimum on the front wheel dry and empty. By the time a driver is seated there is no tendency to bring the front wheel up with normal, or even moderately aggressive driving. Of course if you open the throttle and drop the clutch you get a similar reaction as a two wheel ride.

We put several hundred of these on the road and only ever had one complaint about it doing unexpected wheelies. When I personally drove 200 miles one way to talk to that customer face to face, he informed me that his trike was haunted and had once taken off all by itself and drove him into a ditch. In the interest of keeping customer satisfaction, I had had his damages repaired with no charge to him, and told him we had an exorcism to rid his trike of goblins and spirits. I personally think that too much spirits on his part caused a lot of the problems!;)

My wheelbase is 6 feet. Add to that the normal engine/exhaust/trailer hitch out back, and it's still pretty short. Handles great. Wheelies only when I want it to. The front frame is made of 3" 3/8" wall steel. Battery is also up front. I pull a trailer that puts about 40-60 lbs tongue weight on the back, and I t still doesn't come off the ground very easily, even with a healthy 1915 out back.

that is what i had in mind ! like the look. BJ

- - - Updated - - -

the one in your avitar ?? looks good also. i understand the long wheelbase idea but most dont look like
something i would want in my yard...way too long. appreciate pics. good luck BJ

- - - Updated - - -

thanks but if you read down further it is a doable project. longer ones are easier to make
handle i guess, but the longer they are the worse they look especially when u have muliple
rear seats. they make me laugh.

- - - Updated - - -

he may have taken too much of his medication or maybe some one else"s
medication ! i might want to try some of it muself but would be sure to hide
my keys before the experiment.

lol lol

- - - Updated - - -

i like the look. looked @ your album...good looking ride in my opinion. thanks

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png