To Rake or Not to Rake

Oct 13, 2013
Washingtonville
To Rake or not to Rake that is the Question. My local Harley dealer claims that a rake kit with a steering stabilizer is a must with a conversion kit. Sam at American trike says it's a unnecessary expense. Trikelife says it's a toss up. Is a rake required on a solid axle but not on a interdependent susp. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before I start this conversion Thanks Steve

I just did a motor trike conversion . irs. didn't rake it.

kind of wish I had. it takes a good amount of muscle to turn a tight corner under 30mph. the steering stabilizer is a good idea and a winter project for me.

head shake is pretty bad at about 20mph. then goes away above that.

if you are touring , you just sit there and drive. not a lot of effort needed unless the turns are tight.

to rake or not is up to you.

if you don't you will save money on the rake kit and you wont need that gym membership anymore.

I also hav3 a Motor Trike conversion with a 4.5deg rake.. My buddy stopped by on his Tri Glide and I let him ride mine.. he was amazed how well it handled and cornered much better than his did so in my humble opinion, RAKE IT

Steve......you can always do what I did, put the kit on and see what you think....I thought rake kits were for pussies....until I rode my Road king as a trike!

I have to wonder how many trikes Sam from AT has ridden......perhaps he is just saying that you don't need a rake kit because he thinks you might not order a trike kit from him, if you have to turn around and spend a chunk of doe and a rake kit???? He is a smart salesman.

If you like to relax and not have a workout every time you ride.....you will definitely want a rake kit.

FYI...our fearless leader sells the ez-steer kit from HHI cheaper than you can get it from them. It is about a 4 hour install, and the kit is tits, as far as quality goes.

I raked my 08 HD Softtail Fatboy with Motortrike conversion. Used a 4.5 degree kit. No major problems for the install (easier than some because it did not have a fairing). Took me about four hours for the complete install.

Standard shop tools, perfect fit (at least mine was) so not mods needed. Even the fork lock still worked. I say go for it yourself and save several hundred $$.

Although I'm not fond of them, make sure you get the tube extenders (2" to 2-1/2" depending on the kit). Those definitely are needed to keep the trike level. My aversion of the goes back to the sixties and seventies when we could by screw-in tube extenders up to 12 or 15". Breaks at the joint were rampant if one got poor quality. Many of us welded the joints after screwing them together and ground/polished to help the strength. Whoops, sort of gave away my age, didn't I? :Dorag:

Does the rake kit remove/prevent the mentioned "head shake"?

I don't have a rake kit on my DFT trike, and it doesn't have any shake, however, the shop that did it said I would probably have it, since the one they did for themselves had bad shake at about 20MPH. But, it never materialized.

As it currently stands, I have to push and pull quite a bit on corners.

Does the rake kit remove/prevent the mentioned "head shake"?

I don't have a rake kit on my DFT trike, and it doesn't have any shake, however, the shop that did it said I would probably have it, since the one they did for themselves had bad shake at about 20MPH. But, it never materialized.

As it currently stands, I have to push and pull quite a bit on corners.

smitty.....it would reduce head shake if you had a straight axle, but yours is an IRS kit, that is why you don't have much headshake. Your IRS suspension takes the "hit" and leans, therefore not transferring all of the jolting to the frame and neck.
You would really enjoy the relaxing effect of a rake kit....you can ride all day and not be worn out.
The HHI rake kits have everything you need .....including the appropriate extensions to level your trike out.

We had the wife's Heritage Softail converted by Motor Trike.....they said no need for rake.....After nearly a year of riding, my wife was about burnt out on riding it. I talked to Zook, ordered one of his rake kits, installed it in a few hours & the wife is very happy!! It made a world of difference!! Like going from manual to power steering!

The trike didn't really have any head shake before the rake and still don't.

So my recommendation is.....Rake it, period!

Go for the rake, I don't think you'll be sorry. Scroll down the lower right side of any forum page, like the one you on now, for the "rake kit" add from "Bazooka".

I have a 2011 Road King with a conversion from Hannigan. I originally did not go with the rake kit.

Going around turns, I had to lock one arm and fight like crazy to hold the other arm in position.

Ordered the rake kit from Bazooka and had a local mechanic install it. It was like adding power
steering.

It makes a HUGE difference and I can't tell you enough how much the rake kit is worth every bit of the cost.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png