Recommended RPM's:

dfpk

Sep 28, 2013
Humble,Texas,USA
2013 Tri-Glide:
Don't want to sound too dumb, but this is our first Harley. Ex-Gold Wing riders having a ball on our new Harley trike.

What is the recommended minimum cruising RPM to maintain in sixth gear without lugging the engine. We are past the break in period.

Also what is the "real" maximum RPM that can safely be reached with our engine without causing any damage. Parts are in for the stage one upgrade and will be installed by the end of the week.

2200 is lugging if you have any kind of load on the bike. You need to be 2800 minimum, or 3000 even better. At 3k rpm, you may still have to downshift if you need to drop the hammer for whatever reason. The above poster is correct as to the rev limiter built in....safe is another story. I wouldn't make it a practice to go above 5k rpm for any length of time. Max RPM is a function of the tuner you use. With a TTS Mastertune you can set your Max RPM to whatever you want, safe or not.

This has been discussed a lot, but in my opinion anything under 2800 is to low, when mine starts to drop below 3000 I start down shifting and believe it or not I get better fuel mileage keeping it up in the power range instead of lugging it around. Mine sees a lot of time in the 3000 - 3500 range. On the other end I hardly ever go above 4500.

My 2011 with stage one can cruise all day long at 2500 rpm with 2up. Never had it over 4500, I guess I just don't see the point in that. To me anything below 2000 rpm in any gear is lugging.

DFPK, Guess ya otta listen to those above, but on the highway I never hesitate to roll our '12 Tglide on hard at 2000 in 5th. At 1600 in 5th on flat ground I'll roll it on easy until it builds to 2K. In 6th gear I'll roll it on real easy at 1600 on flat ground until it gets to 2K and then grab a handful if I still need to. If there's an uphill involved I'll downshift unless I'm at 2K.

On our old Evos I'd go a little lower in RPMs, but they weren't quite as long of a stroke. Being at at least 3 grand to roll on won't hurt anything but it's really not necessary. Yer sittin on a long stroke engine and ppuulliinngg is what they're for.

PC/SIZE]

:Shrug: something to keep in mind is that if you lug your engine it's just as bad as over revving it given time.

The other thing i have noticed on some trikes is when i lug the motor they seem to have more opportunity for head shake.

If i keep them in a gear where i am constantly pulling a little they don't seem to shimmy as often?

I like to keep mine around 2800 to 3000 RPM.

The note about getting better gas mileage seems to be a reality also.

I constantly get better milage on my old tour glide than my friend on his tri-glide, perhaps it's because he lugs it in sixth gear so much.

I have ridden his tri-glide and have gotten the same milage out of it as i get on mine.

:Shrug: Just different riding styles i guess?

All depends on what gear you're in and what load you're under.

Safe is 2800+, cruising with little/no load can be good down to about 2400 or so in 5th or 6th, and even lower rpm in lower gears. (the higher the gear the more "leverage" on the engine, so the easier it is to "lug" it) However, whenever you put any load on it, I would want to be in the 2800+ rpm range.

For myself, depending on the gear, anything over 15-20% throttle is lugging when under 2800 rpm.

Even when accelerating hard, I generally shift around 4000 rpm, except going from 5th to 6th I may go up to 4200 rpm before shifting.

Normal riding I shift between 3100 and 3500.

But it does not bother me (nor do I think it bothers the engine) to take it up to 5500 every now and then.

Kevin

Again, thanks for the feedback. I am a firm believer that real information from real Harley owners is the only way to go.

I have ridden his tri-glide and have gotten the same milage out of it as i get on mine.

Pcombe, I'll bet You're right about expecting too much from too high of a gear. Sometimes it pays to get back into the power band. We all develop a 'system' we're comfortable with.

Phu Cat

I will run mine in 5th gear at 3200rpm all day. It won't hurt it. It just sounds like it needs to shift. I generally won't go into 6th unless i'm doing 70-75. I just don't understand why people are afraid to down shift. You will hurt the motor by lugging the motor plus you get less gas mileage. I've followed more bikes in the twisties and hearing their motors lugging. I have a 2012 ford diesel dually and around town or on the open road I can see the mileage drop in 6th gear. I drop down to5th or even 4th. You can see the mileage go back up. You also need to keep the rpms up just to keep the carbon burned out.

I like to keep my RPMs up. My bike seldom sees 6th gear unless I'm highway cruising. Gas mileage is not something I have concerned myself with on a motorcycle. (Unless I'm getting close to "E" and there is no station near:) )

I usually try to run like jcolson. Sometimes if I do shift into 6th the RPM's drop lower than what I like and go quickly back to 5th. Ride 2 up all the time and 6th does better around 65 to 70 mph.

For what it's worth, I try to keep about 2800-3000 rpm. I don't use 6th except on highway. I hear changing to a 30 tooth sprocket will make 6th a more responsive and more easy, ie less lug, on engine.

All depends on what gear you're in and what load you're under.

Safe is 2800+, cruising with little/no load can be good down to about 2400 or so in 5th or 6th, and even lower rpm in lower gears. (the higher the gear the more "leverage" on the engine, so the easier it is to "lug" it) However, whenever you put any load on it, I would want to be in the 2800+ rpm range.

For myself, depending on the gear, anything over 15-20% throttle is lugging when under 2800 rpm.

Even when accelerating hard, I generally shift around 4000 rpm, except going from 5th to 6th I may go up to 4200 rpm before shifting.

Normal riding I shift between 3100 and 3500.

But it does not bother me (nor do I think it bothers the engine) to take it up to 5500 every now and then.

Kevin

Definitely agree !!:Agree::10:

My wrench tells me to rev it like it is a small block Chevy.
Keeping rpms above 2800 seems to healthiest for engine by putting less stress on lower end.
I have an 05 Electraglide conversion with 5 speed. I don't hit fifth until 70 on highway
I have seen wear on pistons that came out of lower revving engine - scuff marks on skirt.

:10:I agree with Kevin on all points!! 2800 to 3200 is my sweet spot in almost any gear and I am running a 120r crate motor in my 2013 TriGlide!pepper

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png