18" wheels with low profile tires

moonpilt

Jul 2, 2011
youngstown, ohio
I have a 2011 harley trike and am thinking about running 18" wheels . I'm wondering about if they change the ride because they run with low profile tires(215/45/18). The wheels look great as apposed to the stock wheels which I really don't like. The trike rides rough and I'm wondering if the tires will make it even worse.The larger wheel also will let you run larger rotors which will greatly improve braking as apposed to the terrible stock ones. Is there anyone running 18" wheels? some feedback would really be appreciated.

My experience is with car tires, but anytime I've gone with a low profile sidewall, the ride of the vehicle has suffered. But it looks badass! :D

Hopefully you'll find some info. I've been trying to search around for wheels other than stock, but no-one seems to know what I can use. The only ones anyone's mentioned are the hd anarchy. Guessing the trike wheel dimensions are tough to match.

low profile look great but you loose all tire sidewall flex so I hope you ride on really flat roads or you have very smooth suspension as you will feel every bump and dip in the road.... If you travel rough roads on cars the rims crack over time and often need repairing...although that will be less of an issue with the trikes lighter weight

I went with a slightly lower profile tire on the stock chromed rims and find the ride much better..

Re: 18" wheels with low profile tires

check Performancemachine.com. they have some wheels there.

- - - Updated - - -

The wheel diameter is larger and the tire diameter is smaller. I've been told by the manufacture one cancels out the other which doesn't change the speedo.

Re: 18" wheels with low profile tires

check Performancemachine.com. they have some wheels there.

- - - Updated - - -

The wheel diameter is larger and the tire diameter is smaller. I've been told by the manufacture one cancels out the other which doesn't change the speedo.

Click HERE for a very handy "wheel vs tire size" calculator. Enter your current wheel & tire size in the left column, then enter your "proposed" wheel & tire size in the next column(s). All the results (overall diameter, revolutions per mile, speedometer error, etc.) are self explanatory.

Good luck with your project.

Hopefully you'll find some info. I've been trying to search around for wheels other than stock, but no-one seems to know what I can use. The only ones anyone's mentioned are the hd anarchy. Guessing the trike wheel dimensions are tough to match.

I have heard that the older Mazda Miata wheels will fit. But I have never pursued that rumor. I can't remember the measurements for the wheel right now, but you could measure everything & have a tire/wheel dealer find all his options for ya.
Whan you measure the offset, & everything but width is measured off the back inside machined surface of the wheel.

I have the larger H-D Anachary wheels and the ride is definately harsher, less sidewall give, but they sure look great and are the easiest wheels to clean, which is the reason I bought them. Of course they come off every November when I put on my winter wheels/tires. ThumbUp

The only thing that touches my Anarchy wheels is Windex. No abrasive chrome cleaners, and they're all abrasive to some extent. Just look at a chrome piece after a year using a chrome cleaner - very microscopic scratches.

I use a foaming chrome wheel cleaner from Griots Garage along with their boars hair brush on chrome wheels.

Problem with performance is I'm looking at black wheels, they have chrome. Most places I go to are having a problem with the offset and backspacing. They have nothing in their systems to compare to the stock wheel. Does anyone have sizes that I can go in with for a comparison, a lot of places aren't sure of the clearance issues with the caliper and fenders. If anyone who got wheels already can give me the backsliding and offset they bought maybe they can work off that.
Thanks.

I had a GL1800 with 18" wheels, low profile tires; never again. Looked great, road like a 1 ton farm truck. Maybe worse.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png