Canadian built VW trike

East Coast

Reaction score
I am in Canada and looking for ideas and info on vw trikes

I have a 74 VW Super Beetle all cut up to make a vw trike it has a 1600cc engine, the guy I got it from told me it ran good last year, I drained the oil and got just as much if not more water than oil. It took a bit but I got the engine to turn over and start and run.

Am I able to remove all tins? I know its air cooled and the fan on the gen helps cool it inside the tins.

I need a little help wiring a vw generator I got D+ going to the pos on the starter D- to ground I am not sure what to do wit DF?

How hard is it to change out the auto stick transaxle to a vw type 3 full automatic transaxle?

Also wondering about foot controls. What is the best master cylinder to use for the rear brakes, and how do you have it set up? Also wondering about throttle controls, hand or foot?

Since you are building it anyways, I would recommend switching the generator for an alterator. You get rid of voltage regulator also doing that and get more reliable power. Note the alternator would need a dummy light added in line. That is what I did on my VW. Bought mine at appletreeauto.com

If you do replace the Alt or the Gen make sure not to go cheap and buy Bosch. The cheap replacements will leave you sitting beside the road. Unless you are running a lot of high power lights, no need to go to a Alt.... Gens works just fine.
genwiredia_1[1].jpg

Welcome to Trike Talk.
Removing the tins ? Would matter on just how much air flow you get through engine after trike is complete.Some have reported no heating problems however don't have a rear body covering engine.Had a VW kit with a body,so needed the tins or it would overheat.An external oil cooler might help.
From the looks of the wiring on your project,after frame is painted,I would go with a new VW wiring loom for that year and get rid of all that spliced stuff.VW wiring is simple and would have all the connections you will need for rear and front of your trike.Keep it simple at first and you can add other connections when needed or as you add to the trike.
Hope this helps a little and good luck with your build,looks sturdy so far.

If you do replace the Alt or the Gen make sure not to go cheap and buy Bosch. The cheap replacements will leave you sitting beside the road. Unless you are running a lot of high power lights, no need to go to a Alt.... Gens works just fine.
View attachment 16011

Ok thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to Trike Talk.
Removing the tins ? Would matter on just how much air flow you get through engine after trike is complete.Some have reported no heating problems however don't have a rear body covering engine.Had a VW kit with a body,so needed the tins or it would overheat.An external oil cooler might help.
From the looks of the wiring on your project,after frame is painted,I would go with a new VW wiring loom for that year and get rid of all that spliced stuff.VW wiring is simple and would have all the connections you will need for rear and front of your trike.Keep it simple at first and you can add other connections when needed or as you add to the trike.
Hope this helps a little and good luck with your build,looks sturdy so far.

Thanks

looking at his picture, it shows an alternator on engine.

just my 0.02 cent

I've been building VW trikes for many years and have tested using tins versus no tins. All my engines were open to the wind (no bodies to cover anything). I can attest to the fact that you will not get by without the shrouding and fan. Things will run nicely in very cool to cold weather as long as you are moving along in a normal fashion. But in any weather when you hit stop and go traffic, or when you let the engine idle for a while without moving, it will overheat. Keep the shrouding, make it pretty (I like chrome) and you will be OK under all conditions.

I have my 2110 engine in the front with no tins for the past 5 or 6 years. I am way down south in the heat but little traffic. I did ride in a parade with 100 plus degree heat and made it while 3 Harleys burned up and seized. It is not a problem as long as it is in the wind and you do not live in a city. I do not think I would try it on a rear engine set up though.

Ok its been awhile but I have started back on the trike again, I am thinking of dropping the autostick and using a standard, what all do I need to do and get to change it over? And how and where is the best place to put the shifter?

Thanks

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png