Nice half of a ride

Aug 18, 2009
Huntsville, AL
The wife and I took our first overnight trip on the trike this weekend. Took off Saturday around noon to go to her dad's house - about 160 miles away. Nice 75 degree, sunny weather and fairly scenic route, although we took the superslab instead of the back roads I was hoping for. Got there in just over 3 hours (not bad considering traffic on either end of the freeway), and had a great cookout - chicken, ribs, beans, potato salad and coleslaw. And plenty of adult beverages, ice cold.:yes:

Spent the night at our son's house. Yes, he and his wife were at the cookout too. Had a nice time visiting with them.

Sunday when we got up it was pretty cool and overcast. We were hoping it would clear and warm up for the trip home. That was not to be. Suited up in leathers (she with long johns underneath), and set out around noon. Stopped at 12:25 to put on the rain gear.

It was spitting a little bit, and looked like it was gonna get worse. It did. We ended up riding the back roads in 55 degrees and rain for the next 3 1/2 hours. Not the greatest trip, but at least we were riding.

BTW, we have now passed 1,000 miles since we got the trike. I have ridden it every day that it hasn't rained since we got it. There haven't been enough of those days, but I'm not complaining too much. The sunny days have been really nice. We are loving the trike, and planning our Christmas gifts to fill in some of the gaps (that is, accessories!!).

What fun! And may you have many more extended outings, but without the cold rain! Sounds as though you handled the weather just fine though. Congratulations on reaching the first 1000 mile mark in such fine form :D.

Just remember no matter how much rain, you won't melt, freeze maybe. But any trip on the trike is great. I did 11 days :) , 10 with rain :( and I'd do it again :yes: in a heart beat. Just had to buy some new gear. Here's wishing you many more miles of smiles :D !

That is a beautiful area to ride in we lived in Florence Al. for 4 years and really enjoyed it.. Keep enjoying the rides and learning more and more about the trike. Our daughter gave up on buying presents for us, she just sends money and we then let her know what we got with it :D. works better that way.

Hitime here is a tought: Think of how comfortable you were in comparison to if you made that same ride home on 2-wheels instead of 3! Weather is just not as big a deal as before. Suit up and enjoy the ride.

If you wait for only the dry times, you'll miss a lot of great riding and FrogTogs take very little space.

Every extended ride has its interesting times, but as long as it remains upright, there are rarely "bad" rides. Some parts are just better than others.

I'm certainly not complaining about having to ride in the rain. I still enjoyed the ride. I won't be shy about riding when it rains at all - I am much more secure on the 3 wheels than I was on 2. However, I won't set out to ride to work in the rain. On the rainy days, I will drive the cage to work. If it clears up, I'll ride when I get home. :yes: That has worked out pretty well for me so far.

I have a decent start on an "accessories needed" list:

Freeway pegs (I'm 6'1" and my legs cramp after a couple hours) with heel rest

Air wings - or whatever they are called

More comfortable grips - possibly Kuryakyn ISO

Headsets

New helmets for both of us (both half and modular for changing weather)

Luggage rack for the trunk

Flags and poles

Am I getting warmer?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png