Tire pressure

1852cc

Jun 2, 2009
Camp Verde, AZ
Ok All,
I have the new trike, now the real question are going to come!

Have a 2009 Road Glide with a Lehman conversion, what tire pressures do you all run, and what pressure in the shocks, I always am riding 2 up.

When I picked it up from the dealer Saturday had 20lbs in the back and 35lbs in the front, shocks had only 10lbs, I am sure the shocks do not have enough for 2 up.
Thank You
Mike

You will probably get as many different answers as you get answers in total. Here's my take but first a disclaimer. My experience is limited to IRS trike kits installed on Honda and BMW motorcycles.<br />
<br />
After experimentation, I run 41# in the front and 32# in the rear. Some trike kit builders and installers recommend much lower pressure in the rear (passenger car) tires. While softer tires will act to soften the ride [of a live axle trike in particular] there are tradeoffs in my opinion. I asked the technical people at two tire companies about minimum inflation pressure for the range of sizes and load ratings typically installed on m/c trikes. Both said to use no less than 26 psi.<br />
<br />
Back to your question. I recommend experimentation with pressures using the same tire gauge each time you check and adjust pressures. <br />
<br />
You mentioned shock pressures. Again I do not have experience with Lehman trike kits or with H-D trikes.

Most trikes that I am familiar with offer pre-load adjustment that affects ride height but not shock absorber valving.<br />
<br />
852cc;19645]Ok All,<br />
I have the new trike, now the real question are going to come!<br />
<br />
Have a 2009 Road Glide with a Lehman conversion, what tire pressures do you all run, and what pressure in the shocks, I always am riding 2 up.<br />
<br />
When I picked it up from the dealer Saturday had 20lbs in the back and 35lbs in the front, shocks had only 10lbs, I am sure the shocks do not have enough for 2 up.<br />
Thank You<br />
Mike[/QUOTE]

Take a look at our previous discussions here.<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.triketalk.com/forum/mechanical/459-tire-pressure.html" target="_blank">http://www.triketalk.com/forum/mecha...-pressure.html</a>

1852cc
I have a 2010 Hd Ultra Classic Tri-Glide and have been running 26 PSI in the rear tires per HD manual. The front calls for 36 PSI. The ride is pretty good. Currently i have 30 PSI in the shocks, often switch between 30 and 35 PSI depending on the load. We always ride 2up like you do.
I traded a 2009 Road Glide on the trike and always put in 36 PSI in the front and 40 PSI in the rear. The Dunlop 205x75 r15 tires in the rear do not take as much as the regular 2 wheel bike tires. Not much weight on the rears compared to a car.
I hope this helps.
NOTE! When i took the Tri-Glide into the dealer for the 1,000 mile check they put in way too much air in the rear tires and the front tire. I think the rears had 45 and the front has 45
When i was riding home from the dealers the bike was really stiff and harsh riding on bumps.

I have an 09 Tri Glide and for the life of me I can not find in the manual where it lists recommended tire inflation pressures. So you are saying run less then what is listed on the tires. The rear say max 40PSI cold and the fron says 44PSI. Any help would be appreciated.

Guiderider, In general run the front tire at the usual pressure (as on two wheels), but the rear tires much less. They are car tires, but the trike weight is nothing like a car, so just go for comfort. Start at about 24-25 psi and let a little out or add a little to find your best comfort. I keep mine at 17 - 18 psi, but many of the men run theirs at 22 or so.

Take a piece of chalk and draw a couple of lines across the face of the tread. Drive the trike forward and back in your driveway a couple of times, then check the wear pattern in the chalk.<br />
<br />
If the chalk in the center is worn off, that's too much air. If the chalk near the outside edges is worn off, that's too little air.<br />
<br />
On my 1500 with CSC, the best wear pattern is 22 to 23 lbs in the rear. I haven't tried the chalk on the front tire, but I run 38 lbs and it seems to be wearing very well and even.

I have an 09 Tri Glide and for the life of me I can not find in the manual where it lists recommended tire inflation pressures. So you are saying run less then what is listed on the tires. The rear say max 40PSI cold and the fron says 44PSI. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't have access to the manual at this time but the recommended pressure for the rear is 26 pounds, I run mine at 24 even when loaded for a trip and the wife on back. I run the front tire at 36 which is also the recommended pressure, like others have said the front pressure is the same as the 2 wheel bikes.

Ok All,
I have the new trike, now the real question are going to come!

Have a 2009 Road Glide with a Lehman conversion, what tire pressures do you all run, and what pressure in the shocks, I always am riding 2 up.

When I picked it up from the dealer Saturday had 20lbs in the back and 35lbs in the front, shocks had only 10lbs, I am sure the shocks do not have enough for 2 up.
Thank You
Mike

Why not ask the dealer what they recommend and go from there.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png