What did you do to Your Tri-Glide Today?

Yesterday I completed my first “Iron Butt”… Me and a buddy booked 1032 miles riding round trip from Lisle Illinois to Turrell Arkansas and back.

19 hours and 25 minutes. Left at 3am and FROZE (for June at least… had to crank up the grips to 11!). Glad I had my heated jacket liner… 45 degrees in June! WT?

Reached 94 degrees in Arkansas, quite the swing!

E644EB1C-1EA9-4783-B3ED-8A64BA7B3692.jpg

Waited out an intense “20% chance of rain” gully washer in Turrell.

454AEF4F-6506-46FD-BEE7-67E8DFFC5320.jpg

Only soreness I’ve had today is in my right elbow. Thanks to my Butt Buffer sheepskin seat cover, all good on my bottom end…LOL!

Already planning next years run!

Yesterday I completed my first “Iron Butt”… Me and a buddy booked 1032 miles riding round trip from Lisle Illinois to Turrell Arkansas and back.

19 hours and 25 minutes. Left at 3am and FROZE (for June at least… had to crank up the grips to 11!). Glad I had my heated jacket liner… 45 degrees in June! WT?

Reached 94 degrees in Arkansas, quite the swing!

View attachment 113336

Waited out an intense “20% chance of rain” gully washer in Turrell.

View attachment 113337

Only soreness I’ve had today is in my right elbow. Thanks to my Butt Buffer sheepskin seat cover, all good on my bottom end…LOL!

Already planning next years run!

👍👍…..And yes it is kinda chilly for June..

Yesterday:

Changed engine oil, cleaned oil filter, changed primary fluid.

This change I am giving the new HD primary/trans gear oil a try in the primary.

Just changed the trans a few thousand miles ago.

Today:

Swapping out the 828 for the 606 intake. Nothing wrong with the 828, I really like it. But some folks want to see the 606 with the polished finned cover on my upcoming trip, so am doing that and also fitting the chrome servo cover.

Tomorrow:

Pulling the latest prototype NexGen shocks and putting them on the suspension dyno to see how they read after 10K miles. Will be mounting a "production" pair of NexGen shocks back on the TG.

Installing a new set of slip-ons (with the new cam, the slip-ons I have been running are just too sharp a sound for hour after hour of riding)

Things already done in the last month:

Stealth LED Driving Lights mounted to engine guard

New Feuling camplate and oil pump

Shorty Sump plug

818H cam

Removed prototype FB16's and installed production FB16's

Installed RBT LED Mud Flaps (these were first installed on the 2014)

Might be forgetting some things, all I can remember right now.

Pumped about upcoming trip Mary and I are making.
icon_biggrin.gif

Kevin

Washed my heated jacket..And put it away for the summer…..It doesn’t snow much here in the summer… Don’t even think I use the snowblower once this winter..? Every year we get less snow but seems like we get more rain…?

Rode 95 miles today with the new gear oil in the primary.

Seemed strange to put that heavy of an oil in there, but they say it is for the trans and the primary, and others have used it with good reports.

It rode great today, clutch was smooth, not the least bit grabby, which I sort of thought it would be. Also, no slippage.

Time will tell if it performs just as well after thousands of miles, AND being in cold weather.

​​​​​​​I'll report again in a month or so, we will be doing some high elevation cold weather riding next month.

Kevin

I must be getting close to having ridden 200k miles on Tri Glides.

Up until yesterday I had had only one time that I plugged a rear tire with a slow leak. It was back around 2015, on a road trip a few States over, and there was a wood screw imbedded in the tread of the right rear tire.

Yesterday (should have take some pics) when checking tire pressures, the right rear was low on the 2019 Tri Glide. Got some soapy water and found two pinhole leaks.

One was just a small hole, the other had a very small finishing nail in it, not much bigger in diameter than a staple.

Pulled it out and then plugged both holes.

Gotta get some more plugs to keep in my tool kit, those were my last two.

Kevin

Up until yesterday I had had only one time that I plugged a rear tire with a slow leak. It was back around 2015, on a road trip a few States over, and there was a wood screw imbedded in the tread of the right rear tire.

Yesterday (should have take some pics) when checking tire pressures, the right rear was low on the 2019 Tri Glide. Got some soapy water and found two pinhole leaks.

One was just a small hole, the other had a very small finishing nail in it, not much bigger in diameter than a staple.

Kevin

I always carry either Napa plugs or Safety Seal plugs, never let me down

Kevin

The last time I had to plug a tire on a motorcycle was more than 20?years ago on the rear of my New VTX 1800 With only 6 hundred miles on it…I plugged it and then used sealer in it Rode it like that out without it losing any air till the tire itself wore out … Driving into Manhattan every day with my vehicles. I was an expert at plugging car tires on the road. Seemed like once a month I’ll get a flat ‘Plug and seal i never trust a plug alone..With my ATC’s I had to buy plugs by the dozen...

And one time I had a pice of shale punch a hole in the side wall of my Big Red’s rear tire…

Being I only rode it off road … caveman style I took the tire off the rim got a big bolt put a piece of rubber on both sides of the side walls and with large flat washers tightened it up and rode it for years like that…😁

I carry a plug kit and a little compressor always.

I carrie a little compression ‘ sealer and plug kit for years now I never had to use it. I also change the glue for the lubricant for the plug’s (over time it hardens ) when I remember .‘ But I guarantee the first time I leave it at home that’s when I’m gonna get a flat..

The last time I had to plug a tire on a motorcycle was more than 20?years ago on the rear of my New VTX 1800 With only 6 hundred miles on it…I plugged it and then used sealer in it Rode it like that out without it losing any air till the tire itself wore out … Driving into Manhattan every day with my vehicles. I was an expert at plugging car tires on the road. Seemed like once a month I’ll get a flat ‘Plug and seal i never trust a plug alone..With my ATC’s I had to buy plugs by the dozen...

And one time I had a pice of shale punch a hole in the side wall of my Big Red’s rear tire…

Being I only rode it off road … caveman style I took the tire off the rim got a big bolt put a piece of rubber on both sides of the side walls and with large flat washers tightened it up and rode it for years like that😁

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Made me smile!

Kevin

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Made me smile!

Kevin

Yeah and you should have seen the looks and comments on the bolt sticking out of the side wall..But you have to understand livening in Brooklyn and extremely short on funds , and no garage we were street mechanics so we had to learn to do things caveman style, and we couldn’t leave a vehicle out in the street taken apart for too long… and so it’s something that’s still ingrained in me that even though now I can afford to get the right parts, I still like to Rube Goldberg stuff…

Yeah and you should have seen the looks and comments on the bolt sticking out of the side wall..But you have to understand livening in Brooklyn and extremely short on funds , and no garage we were street mechanics so we had to learn to do things caveman style, and we couldn’t leave a vehicle out in the street taken apart for too long… and so it’s something that’s still ingrained in me that even though now I can afford to get the right parts, I still like to Rube Goldberg stuff…

Understand completely. Desire to be riding, with limited funds, led to all sorts of creative "fixes". :D

Kevin

Installed new spark plugs in my 2020 TG at 36k miles - I know, I know the 'book' says to do it at 30k but what the heck. The ones I removed looked just fine and honestly I think they could have gone another 30k. Only difficulty was in getting the spark plug boots off the right hand side of the two cylinders. Yes I do have a spark plug boot wrench but dang it is a tight, tight fit around those boots. But I 'got 'er' done' and all is A-OK.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildthang

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildthang
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png