What did you do to Your Tri-Glide Today?

Thanks, yep the waiting is driving me nuts, mapped out a bunch of rides to take it on.

After many years on two wheels and then spinal surgery last October, I had to finally admit the legs are too old to feel safe.

Rented a TG last week, probably the most uncomfortable I've ever been on a bike. Video of me trying to get it out of the dealers lots could have sold for big bucks.

First 5 miles I thought about taking it back and saying "no thanks", after 20, I pretty much got comfortable stopping without putting my feet down, 120 miles later I felt like a kid again on my first scooter.

Back in the wind again :D:D

Welcome aboard & enjoy the ride! Congrats to you!

What did you do to your Trike Today ?

Thanks, yep the waiting is driving me nuts, mapped out a bunch of rides to take it on.

After many years on two wheels and then spinal surgery last October, I had to finally admit the legs are too old to feel safe.

Rented a TG last week, probably the most uncomfortable I've ever been on a bike. Video of me trying to get it out of the dealers lots could have sold for big bucks.

First 5 miles I thought about taking it back and saying "no thanks", after 20, I pretty much got comfortable stopping without putting my feet down, 120 miles later I felt like a kid again on my first scooter.

Back in the wind again :D:D

Most important thing to remember is it's wider in the back. That takes a little time.

New Parts

Spent Thursday, after cardio rehab installing some new DK products.

FL-Vied fuel enrichment

premium white LED drop-in headlight

Cooling deflector wings

Oil filter relocation/ oil cooler combo for Harley Trikes

After install I took it on a short ride.

Don't forget to Honor Our Fallen this Memorial Day.

James Young:cxtv:

VietNam Veteran 11B40

PGR Rider

2013 Tri-Glide #1146 of 1450 :wave4:

Been riding it around the Smokeys the last few days, remembering Larry Weaver.

80-_dsc1492_495a7894df158b11523401a1ff93fbcec2dc5611.jpg

Kevin

Took our 2017 trike in today for its 1000 mile checkup at 2000 miles. While its there they will install saddlebags, accessory switch kit, and a complete Stage 1 upgrade with Screaming Eagle mufflers and Breather. Hopefully we will be able to get it back for the weekend.

Still waiting on a rider backrest and XM module that is backordered.

It 90 miles one way so I will be doing the services in the future myself.

Bob

Engine blew up :(

I did about 250 mile ride with some buddies, then I headed home 120 miles. I made it about 20 miles and the engine quit, I looked in my rear view mirror and I have never seen so much smoke in my life, and I have had a couple of car engine blow. After waiting 3 hours for a tow truck took it to my dealer. They ran compression check, both cylinders read 10 psi. So it was decided I am gonna need a rebuild. Instead of a rebuild I had them order a crate engine 120st. This engine should put a little more umph in the trike :). Harley did not back order the engine so I am hoping it arrives soon. So then install and Dyno. Want it back as the weather up here has finally gotten nice for riding and the wife and I have some trips planned. So that is what I did to my bike, I blew the engine :(. I surely thought I would get a lot more than 60,000 miles out of an engine. Of course the extended warranty expired last summer. :(

I did about 250 mile ride with some buddies, then I headed home 120 miles. I made it about 20 miles and the engine quit, I looked in my rear view mirror and I have never seen so much smoke in my life, and I have had a couple of car engine blow. After waiting 3 hours for a tow truck took it to my dealer. They ran compression check, both cylinders read 10 psi. So it was decided I am gonna need a rebuild. Instead of a rebuild I had them order a crate engine 120st. This engine should put a little more umph in the trike :). Harley did not back order the engine so I am hoping it arrives soon. So then install and Dyno. Want it back as the weather up here has finally gotten nice for riding and the wife and I have some trips planned. So that is what I did to my bike, I blew the engine :(. I surely thought I would get a lot more than 60,000 miles out of an engine. Of course the extended warranty expired last summer. :(

Really sorry to hear that. You will like the new 120.

I know it is no consolation, but you went longer than many. The "normal" amount of heat in the 103's cause accelerated wear and tear. My 2011 had to be rebuilt under warranty at 10K miles.

I know of dozens that have had to be rebuilt at 10-30K miles. All because of the heat causing accelerated wear.

The same thing will occur with the 120, but the good news for any of the engines, 103, 107, 114, 120, is that there are some basic things you can do to get the heat down and have well over 100k trouble free miles.

You can see the REPORT HERE on how to cool down a Twin Cam & M8 engine.

I took the steps listed in the report above on my rebuilt engine and had over 50k trouble free, full power miles before I sold it.

I also took the same steps on my 2014 Twin Cam and am approaching 50K trouble free, full power miles on it.

Kevin

Really sorry to hear that. You will like the new 120.

I know it is no consolation, but you went longer than many. The "normal" amount of heat in the 103's cause accelerated wear and tear. My 2011 had to be rebuilt under warranty at 10K miles.

I know of dozens that have had to be rebuilt at 10-30K miles. All because of the heat causing accelerated wear.

The same thing will occur with the 120, but the good news for any of the engines, 103, 107, 114, 120, is that there are some basic things you can do to get the heat down and have well over 100k trouble free miles.

You can see the REPORT HERE on how to cool down a Twin Cam & M8 engine.

I took the steps listed in the report above on my rebuilt engine and had over 50k trouble free, full power miles before I sold it.

I also took the same steps on my 2014 Twin Cam and am approaching 50K trouble free, full power miles on it.

Kevin

Thanks for the info Kevin. I followed your trip to Alaska with your wife a few years ago on your 2011. I enjoyed it very much with the pictures.

I have done a few of the changes to cool the engine down that you mentioned. I am going to look at doing a few of your suggestions such as the tank lift, defectors and breather system. I have a SE stage I a/c and have always been upset with the oil from the breathers dripping out of the a/c at times. I have a TTS tuner on the trike for a few years. I put V&H headers without the cat and slip ons from V&H. However my wife complained about the excess noise so i went back to the stock mufflers with the V&H headers. Actually they sound pretty good with the cat gone :) I hope this will work out with the 120 st engine. The dealer has installed 3 of these engines so far, he says he is getting 130 hp on the dyno, so this should push the trike along better :) Thanks again Kevin

Cleaned a cluster of bugs from the windshield, I like it dirty, plus a mile on a dirt road makes for a good buildup. How much mud does it take before the tires rub on it :Shrug:

I finally got around to installing my Floor Board Extenders on my 2016 Tri-Glide. I purchased the extenders from DK Customs.

Simple install and they make a very welcome change to my feet positions while riding. Stock placement was just way to close to the engine for me for heat and for just being comfortable.

Installed Love Jugs

Started yesterday and finished up this morning, Coolmaster, frame mount and vibration master. Not too hard to do although getting the hose clamps and bracket on the frame is really tight fit. On a 2017 Tri Glide

Next up wiil probaby be floorboard extentions and a tank lift.

Bob

End Caps

Installed 4" Revolver end caps on my Screaming Eagle pipes.

They made bigger a difference in the tone than I thought they would.

Was running without caps while they were on backorder.

It sounds a lot better now.:D:D

Bob

Rode it home in the rain today...left out a bit early to beat the lighting part of the storm passing thru.

Taking Mary out to dinner tonight for her bday....gonna leave the TG parked and take the truck...we'll be much drier when we get to the restaurant. :)

June%2016_zpsqycybo8n.jpg

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burnout
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png