Attaching Patches to vest

hARLEY jOE

Feb 9, 2013
PORTLAND OREGON
I'm looking for glue or something to attach patches to my vest. I know that sewing is the best/most permanent method.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good glue that doesn't get too stiff, but hold well?

thanks

Why not try "seam tape" . You can buy it a JoAnn Fabrics. It is heat sensitive. You can cut out a piece or two the shape of your patch, place it between your patch and vest, place a moist terry cloth overtop of your patch and then apply a pretty hot iron to the moist terry cloth. The steam will super charge the heat from the iron and this should be enough heat to activate the glue on the seam tape. Ater you heat the patch side then flip the vest over, don't bother with the terry cloth and heat it again from the vest side to the patch area. I'm suggesting the moist terry cloth overtop of your patch to protect it from the flat heat of the iron.

Something else you can try is hot melt glue. You can but it and a heat gun at any "Craft's Supply Store" or you can go online. If you try the hot melt glue route you have a extremely short window of time from applying the glue to matting it with the vest.

For my largest patch it was only $10 to have it sewn on at the local seamstress. Glue does not hold, even the iron on does not stand up well the the riding conditions. Just take to your local seamstress and you will save in the long run. Just my opinion, and experience talking though.

A lot of our HOG Chapter members and other "Clubs" take their vest and patches to a local Shoe Repair Shop and get them sewn on. He sews on both cloth and leather vests. A seamstress may not have a machine that will work well if sewing on leather.

For my largest patch it was only $10 to have it sewn on at the local seamstress. Glue does not hold, even the iron on does not stand up well the the riding conditions. Just take to your local seamstress and you will save in the long run. Just my opinion, and experience talking though.

A lot of our HOG Chapter members and other "Clubs" take their vest and patches to a local Shoe Repair Shop and get them sewn on. He sews on both cloth and leather vests. A seamstress may not have a machine that will work well if sewing on leather.

That's the best way to do it, IMO. I've never had any luck with glue of any sort. It always loses its bond.

I'm looking for glue or something to attach patches to my vest. I know that sewing is the best/most permanent method.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good glue that doesn't get too stiff, but hold well?

thanks
I would go with the sewing.Never had any luck with gluing.RIDE SAFE

If you're just wanting to apply something temporarily I've always had good luck with double sided carpet tape. It won't hold for months and probably wont hold long if it's exposed to any high speed air blowing across it.

I took my patches to a local guy who sews ute tarps and shade cloths. he was more than happy to do it and did a nice job very reasonable price too. same would probably apply to people who do saddlery and horse covers.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png