Advice on increasing power

Nov 16, 2011
wayne, wi
Hello. I am looking for any advice I can get . I can do basic maint on my trike, I bought a Champion conversion kit installed it myself with the new rake on it also. Not to affraid to tackle basic things. I've read that the Big Sucker air cleaner can add a little more horsepower and possibly changing the cam can do the same, also I have read that the S&S 551 cam gear drive kit is a bolt on kit with thier lifters and a new oil pump, good reviews from what I've read, open to all comments, good or bad, on the gear drive cam kit. I am open to all suggestions on increasing the power as long as I can do it as a bolt-on item without any major issues, trying to avoid the big dollar price tag of the HD dealers. I don't need to go crazy but just a little extra when on the interstate or riding 2 up plus thinking of a trailer.
Thanks
Steve

One of the easiest & cheapest ways to get more power is smaller diameter rear tires. I realize that sometimes the tires are already as small as they can be or very close to it & not worth a change. It will change the way the trike sits and may or may not change the handling. It's worth looking into what tires you have vs. what smaller sizes you could put & see if it may be worth a try.

For example, our trike came with 225/60-15 (25.6"dia). We downsized to 195/60-15 (24.2" dia) which only dropped the rear by about 5/8" but we lowered the effective gear ratio by 5%. It's the same concept as changing sprockets. Yes it made the speedometer read the same 5% faster than actual speed as well as 5% higher rpm at any given speed but it was cheap power that didn't affect anything negatively except the speedometer. The fuel mileage seems to be about the same. You can defiantly feel the difference in power!

However, a lot of trikes have 205/60-15's (24.7" dia) on them which don't leave much room to downsize & probably wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Just a thought of something else to look at that a lot of folks overlook as a way to increase power....Good luck!!

not knowing what year your bike is i cannot suggest what you could do. if your bike is pre 2009 then the first thing i would suggest is changing out the tranny sprocket to a 30 tooth in stead of the 32 sprocket. this in itself will give you much more lower end torque and is the easiest to do without cracking the motor. next increase would be to get rid of your air cleaner and install a SE or the Supersucker, either one is good. next step up is to get yourself a real good tuner such as the TTS installed and you will now have a totally different bike than you ever had before and you still did not crack open the motor. now,if you want a set of cams i like the Andrews the best but i think you will be quite happy without them once you do the above. having a Champion kit you should not have to buy a rear drive belt after you install the sprocket as there is quite a bit of adjustment on the kit. after the install just measure the distance on both sides of the adj. brackets and you will be fine. good luck on your ventures

Got to know the year and bike info, certain years are easier to make changes to and others a little more challenging. When it comes to cam selection more information is needed to get the right cam. As for gear drive cams, IMO 07 and later doesn't need gear drive. The chain tensioner issue isn't the problem with these newer Twin Cams as it was with the older style tensioner.

Sorry, I can't believe I didn't include that info.
2001 HD Ultra - stock except for different slip on mufflers, don't know anything about the muffler, friend had laying around and didn't affect anything on the bike(put them on before the conversion)
Fuel injected
Champion conversion - straight axle, Easy Steer
40,000 miles
My wife & I love the conversion. NO REGRETS
Just looking for that little extra umpf not crazy speed but just a little something for all the freeway driving I do.
Thanks
Steve
Wisconsin

Your biggest hurdle will be tuning the bike after no matter what you put on or in the motor. Being that it is a 2001 the EFI could be Delphi or MM. Open the air cleaner. 1 butterfly in the throttle body = Delphi, two = MM.

If you have an MM system then it will be real tough to find a tuner for it. You could end up with a bag-o-mess on your hands. Find a tuning device first after you see what EFI system you have.

Pretty sure 2001 was the last year for MM EFI. That pretty much limits him to a PCIII, or a Delphi conversion...which opens up a lot of possibilities.

Pretty sure 2001 was the last year for MM EFI. That pretty much limits him to a PCIII, or a Delphi conversion...which opens up a lot of possibilities.

I agree but you never know until you know. That's why I want him to look.

Conversion would be expensive especially if he can't do it himself. Not sure where he can find a PCIII for the MM though. Do they still make them? There are so little tuning programs for the old MM systems that he will need a good dyno operator to make that motor right.

Zipper's T-MAX make a conversion for MM for around 2 grand. Replaces TB and ECM.

I have T-MAX auto-tune on 07 SG and 2012 Tri-glide

Have not had any issues

I agree but you never know until you know. That's why I want him to look.

Conversion would be expensive especially if he can't do it himself. Not sure where he can find a PCIII for the MM though. Do they still make them? There are so little tuning programs for the old MM systems that he will need a good dyno operator to make that motor right.

Wouldn't a carb solve the problem? I hate to be a knuckle-dragger, but the old system could be the inexpensive path to more horsepower.

A .551 lift cam won't work in your 2001 heads without machine work (shorten the guides, change the valve springs). I've had very good service from the Andrews 37, which works well with the stock heads. If you are still running the stock spring-type cam chain tensioners, now would be a good time to change them. I had to replace mine every 30k.

Converting to a carb is a relatively easy deal, and works real good. You can usually find a stock CV-40 carb and manifold at a swap meet or independent shop as a "take-off." Swapping out the needle for an '88 Sporty 1200 will get you real close on the jetting. Not sure about the MM, but the ignition part of the ECM for the Delphi injection works just fine with a carb as long as it continues to get the crank signal and the MAP signal. I recently converted my 2001 Softail to a Mikuni 42 (after 100k miles with the EFI). It's much more responsive and much easier to tune. I have seen stock carb ignition modules at swap meets for next to nothing.

I will find out this weekend on what EFI system my motor has. My wheels are sure turning now, is EFI better or is it just that I am just lucky to have the last year of not so good system? A carburator? Intersting. I am learning and open to all suggestions. I am planning on inspecting my cam chain tensioners this weekend also. One brother in law has a gear driven cam(2002 Ultra) and says they his is just fine for him, a little noisier he says but nothing major. Would a SE or a larger air cleaner help or should I worry more about a tuner? I appreciate all input good or bad.
Thanks
Steve

I will find out this weekend on what EFI system my motor has. My wheels are sure turning now, is EFI better or is it just that I am just lucky to have the last year of not so good system? A carburator? Intersting. I am learning and open to all suggestions. I am planning on inspecting my cam chain tensioners this weekend also. One brother in law has a gear driven cam(2002 Ultra) and says they his is just fine for him, a little noisier he says but nothing major. Would a SE or a larger air cleaner help or should I worry more about a tuner? I appreciate all input good or bad.
Thanks
Steve

If you go to an SE air cleaner you then have to tune, you let more air in so you need more fuel to go along with it. You and your brother in law have the more desirable bottom ends, you have a better crank shaft and the left side Timken bearing which is why a gear drive wouldn't be as much of a concern as it would be on the later model Twin Cam.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png