• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Product review - RAM Mount

Reaction score
OK - the blurb says this is the place for product reviews, so here is one.

We mount a GPS, Mp3 player, cupholder on the front bar and another one under the armrest for the Admiral's perch. To mount all this stuff we use RAM Mounts. The ones for motorcycle use are 1" balls that have various ways of mounting. On the bars we have the controls clamp, and on the armrest we have a diamond shaped mount, using one of the existing bolts and added another on the underside of the armrest. I have them on the Harley for a cupholder and the GPS, also.

To connect this stuff to the the RAM balls we use a 3 1/2" arm, though there are shorter and longer available. We got the cupholders from RiderWarehouse and off e-bay, the GPS mount from RAM and I made the holder for the Mp3 player.

They have literally thousands of mounts, arms, attachement options in both aluminium and plastic. On the trike I opted to keep the metal arms, though a buddy has one of thier plastic arms and it has served him well for the last 2 years supporting his Streetpilot 2610.

Not affiliated with the company, just a satisfied customer

RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

Ozarkryder, I've got the RamMount set up on my wing and use it for my Iway 500c GPS. I've also got an XM radio on the same (left) side, so I use the plastic 3 1/2" arm came with the GPS and last summer while on a trip I noticed the GPS was "sagging". I kept tightening up the RamMount and then pulled over when it was "sagging" again. The plastic mount broke. Luckily, I wasn't going very fast and was able to catch the GPS. No damage to that unit, but I learned what could have been an expensive lesson. Use steel over plastic, if your equipment has any weight to it. I do need to tell you all, if you don't know, the Iway GPS units are rather heavy. The combination of weight and the hot sun, will cause the plastic to weaken.

One other item, I do have the RamMount cup holder on the right side. The screw that the holder pivots on does come loose from time to time, so you need to keep an eye on it and tighten it up occassionally.

I do use the metal arms - the thought of plastic arms holding somewhat expensive equipment is a bit uncomfortable to me. Talked to my buddy with the plastic arm and he has gotten a metal one for peace of mind. He is going to use the plastic arm for his 4 Gig Sansa Mp3 player - the thing weighs ounces, not pounds like the GPS.

I got my cupholder from Aerostich RiderWarehouse, a MotoFizz unit. I put a RAM ball on it and it fits the "Magic Mug" perfectly. (The mug I got from the lost and found at school has kept 5 ice cubes in water through 2 fill-ups at 95° on the way to OKC.:D The wife has a Nissan Thermos mug that the ice melts within 1 gas stop, but the water is still cold at that stop.) I had a Bike Bouy, but I found the gimbal wasn't needed with a mug with a cover, or on a trike that doesn't lean. On a hard bump on the way to Memphis the thing turned upside down and dumped out the water bottle I was using at the time.:mad: The cupholder for the Admiral's perch is a BCS (Beverage Containment System) F1. It was origanally $30 for the polycarbonate we have. They made one in all aluminum for about $50, and one made of titanium for $125.:eek: They don't make them anymore. Can't see paying those prices for a cupholder. I got it for $15, including shipping off e-Bay.:cool: I modified it too so it doesn't swivel.

Attachments

• IMAGE_096 (Small) (Small) (WinCE).jpg
    IMAGE_096 (Small) (Small) (WinCE).jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMAGE_094 (WinCE).jpg
    IMAGE_094 (WinCE).jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 112
We also use RAM mounts on the trike....my husband combined a bicycle bottle holder with a RAM ball to attach to the RAM arm on my right handlebar. Works real slick. I think I have seen someone marketing that particular design in recent months.

I also have a RAM mount for a portable GPS on the left handlebar.

I had the RAM cup holder - did not like it at all, too much swinging around for the trike.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png