• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Battery Charger

Reaction score
I've been looking for a battery charger for my trike to keep the battery all warm and fuzzy for the winter. I've had several Battery Tender's through the years but didn't want to spend 60 bucks. They are great but overpriced to me.
I was looking on the internet and came across Northern Tool having a sale on one called BatteryMinder. It does everything a Battery Tender does and it was on sale from 49 bucks reduced to 20 bucks.
I don't know how long the sale lasts but as I said the charger takes care of the battery including desulfating. Check it out online.
I don't work for Northern Tool or BatteryMinder, just thought I pass on some info.

i personally own 4 Battery Tenders and am looking to buy one for my daughter and her bike so i will look into this one. thanks

Lol,. You beat me by one. ;)

I have one for the trike, one for the 57 Chevy and another for the portable generator. I have all 3 side by side up on a shelf so I can easily see the led indicators as per the charging/floating condition.

Yes, they are a bit on the expensive side, but it's been proven to me so many times in the past that you usually, 'get what you pay for', if you know what I mean,,.

Used Battery Tender's for years and have never had a problem. Think to protect my $30,000 investment I will stick with the proven.

I wonder how good a device can be that they are willing to sell for 20 bucks that normally sells for $50?

Used Battery Tender's for years and have never had a problem. Think to protect my $30,000 investment I will stick with the proven.

I wonder how good a device can be that they are willing to sell for 20 bucks that normally sells for $50?

I only pay about $100 for my batteries

- - - Updated - - -

just went to Northern Tool web site - the dog-gone tender is no longer available :gah:

Ditto: I have always used Battery Tenders, always without fail. I know I can depend on them.

I have a few different chargers and tenders and all work as intended.
But the best bargain of the bunch is a little tender sold by Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html

I use this to keep a spare gel battery always ready, just in case.
I do have 3 bikes and you never know what morning one wont want to turn over.
Its been on the present battery for over a year and has kept it at 12.8 volts.

In addition to battery charges/tenders, I use Battery Tender Jr's on my toys.
Mills Fleet Farm just had a sale last Thursday/Friday for them.
Marked down from $29.95 to $19.95 so I bought 3 to replace some of the old ones.

Since we are discussing chargers and what not here.
Id like to show you all a little picture.
Last night I heard a bang in the house and thought it was just one of my cats knocking something around paid it no mind.
I have a battery from my jump starter/compressor that went bad and has since been replaced.
Its a 12v 18ampp battery.
I hooked it up to my Optimate 3 about a week ago.
For those not familiar with this gizmo.

http://www.amazon.com/OptiMate-3-ba...TF8&qid=1386285028&sr=8-1&keywords=optimate+3

Anyhoo heres what went bump in the night.

IMG_0041_zpsb268aa70.jpg

Since we are discussing chargers and what not here.
Id like to show you all a little picture.
Last night I heard a bang in the house and thought it was just one of my cats knocking something around paid it no mind.
I have a battery from my jump starter/compressor that went bad and has since been replaced.
Its a 12v 18ampp battery.
I hooked it up to my Optimate 3 about a week ago.
For those not familiar with this gizmo.

http://www.amazon.com/OptiMate-3-ba...TF8&qid=1386285028&sr=8-1&keywords=optimate+3

Anyhoo heres what went bump in the night.

That would make for one bad surprise. Unfortunately pretty much any battery charger or maintainer can malfunction and do something like in your picture.

Hey it still is holding 8.56 volts!!!!
Why it blew is something Id like to find out.
Ive had that charger, desulfater for over 2 years.
It recycles between a charge and then just tends the battery.
It was in the tender stage when it blew.
I had it on my Camaro's battery for over a year prior to this.
Pieces are all over the garage.
It did indeed pop with some authority.
I heard it, dismissed it at the time.
The battery for lack of a better description is for use in emergency lights and alarm boxes primarily.
Might not be the manufacturers intention for folks to try and recharge them??

Just doesn't pay to blame a cat for it though.
They were innocent...........this time.

I bought three Battery Tender Juniors in 2005, one for my tractor, another for my 6' commercial mower and the third for my bike. They have all worked perfectly.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png