New Guy

vw driver

Reaction score
I just joined this site and am pleased to find this thread for people with physical challenges. My wife Lisa has Cerebral Palsy and has been in a wheelchair her whole life. I built a trike a few years ago and we did some riding but then my daughter with Down Syndrome came to live with us and realized the two seat trike was not going to work so I traded it for a VW bug. I started building a three seat trike last summer and got it on the road in the fall just when the weather was getting cold. I've only done a few test rides around the neighborhood and it rode good although I found a few things I want to change. We just hang the wheelchair on some hooks and strap it down with bungee cords. I rode motorcycles for years I am to they age where I appreciate not having to balance a motorcycle and put my feet down every time we stop. The new trike drives like a VW car with handlebars instead of a wheel, very comfortable.

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 178
Welcome:
Hang around and post often. There are allot of good folks on this forum. ThumbUp

Congrats to you on the new ride and well done. Looks like it will be a cool ride. All the best to you and yours and enjoy that new ride ya got.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. We are planning to put some miles on the trike this summer. We are in western Wash. state so we don't get to ride in the winter although when I was younger I rode in the winter but those days are gone. We are having a real rain and wind storm right now although we did see a guy riding a motorcycle today. Hope he made it home OK. He looked pretty miserable.

Welcome to TT - we're glad you found us. Your trike looks great - let us know as you make changes and improvements. Have fun, post often, ride safe! :wave4:

I still have a few things to do on the trike. The rear fenders are off right now, I didn't leave enough clearance and the tires are hitting on bumps. I need to install gauges and a horn and do some painting but everything seems to function as it should, just a few odds and ends to take care of. ThumbUp

Hi VW and welcome to TT. I sure like your work; let us hear from you often. We have our share of different maladies but one thing that is not different is our passion for riding. We are glad you joined us.

Thank you. I am not in a wheelchair but my wife Lisa is. We have been together for 12 years so I have been packing a wheelchair around for that long. She has a motorized chair that we haul in our VW bus and a manual chair that we carry on a roof rack on our VW bug. I still need to put some hooks on the trike for hauling the wheelchair but summer is still a long way off up here in the Pacific NW so there is time.ThumbUp

I have been out the last couple of nights building a rack to carry Lisa's wheelchair. It's done except for cleaning up and painting. Originally I was going to paint the trike blue but I don't have time to sand everything and it's been to cold to do any nice painting so everything is flat black at this point. We met a group of trike riders here in our area that go on runs and things so we are hoping to ride with them some this summer.:)

Attachments

• IM000060.JPG
    IM000060.JPG
    850 KB · Views: 97
  • IM000061.JPG
    IM000061.JPG
    835.7 KB · Views: 100
Looking good. Glad to hear you found some local riders. Was looking at your wife's shair and was wondering if you/she ever gave any thought to getting a "light weight" chair. There are folders out there that come in around 21-22 LBS and would be lighter to lift and handle.

I sure know what you mean about being too cold to do much of anything while out in the garage.

Looking good. Glad to hear you found some local riders. Was looking at your wife's shair and was wondering if you/she ever gave any thought to getting a "light weight" chair. There are folders out there that come in around 21-22 LBS and would be lighter to lift and handle.

I sure know what you mean about being too cold to do much of anything while out in the garage.

A lighter wheelchair, I could live with that. Any idea how much they cost? This one won't be bad to load on the trike because I don't have to lift it very high but when we use our VW bug I am having to lift it up to the roof rack and like all of us I'm not getting any younger. I can't see very well from your picture how you carry your chair on your trike. It looks like you have some sort of rack on the back but it's hard to tell for sure. I'm ready for summer and warm weather too. ThumbUp

Hi and welcome.

wheels is right about lighter chairs, the aren't just easy to lift they are easier all round. Those steel chairs weigh almost 50lbs.

lightweight chairs turn up on eBay often and sometimes in thrift stores.

Hi and welcome.

wheels is right about lighter chairs, the aren't just easy to lift they are easier all round. Those steel chairs weigh almost 50lbs.

lightweight chairs turn up on eBay often and sometimes in thrift stores.

VW, Tinbasher is is spot on. Craig's list, E-Bay and local news papers would be a great place to start your search. Measure the width of the chair seat, front and back and get an idea of that size and as long as that works for your bride, check to see who has that size for sale. Some of the big boys in the market are Sun Rise Medical (Quickie which is what I have), Invacare and others who make lightweight folders. When you take those measurements, send me a PM and I will see if anyone I know is looking to move a chair out of their way. The chair you see in my signature is about 21 LBS (WITHOUT THE RIDER, LOL), with the rear wheels attached. They too can make a big difference. If you go with solid tires and molded wheels, they can be a ton as well. Let me know if I can help as I would be happy to try.

As for my chair rack, well, that is basically a one of a kind that was built by some good friends and I love it to pieces. Since you are so talented, let me know if you need pictures if you want to see if that is something that might work for you as well.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png