Sportster Trike Decision - Champion or Frankenstein?

Reaction score
Since my wife had a hip replacement last year, she doesn't feel as confident on her bike, especially low speed manuvers. We have made the decision to do a trike conversion, and have done quite a bit of research. We have narrowed it down to either the Champion or the Frankenstein kits. They are similar in design, but they do have a few differences. Any input or feedback from owners of either... build quality, warranty issues, etc? The Champion does come standard with outboard rear brakes where the Frankenstein does not (although you can get it as an option). With either kit, she wants the front rake kit to improve the steering effort. One thing I've also noticed that from a visual perspective, the Frankenstein trike puts the rear wheels inline with the existing rear fender, where the Champion puts the rear wheels a few inches behind the existing rear fender... at first I didn't like that, but it is starting to grow on me.

Looking for any feedback before purchasing... Thanks!

my wife and i looked at both of these kits for her sportster and like you said they are about the same. i personally like the Champion kit better but that is only my opinion. the other thing i like about the Champion kit is the price over the Frankenstein kit, cheaper by a lot.

When you actually get down to talking apples to apples, the price is within $150 for either one. Frankenstein has a package that includes the shorter exhaust (needed for their kit), the trike kit, and the rake kit which saves some money. If you take the base price on the Champion kit and add on the rake kit (don't need the shorter exhaust), the price is only $150 less than the Frankenstein.

I'm not sure how critical having dual rear brakes (standard on Champion) is on a lighter bike like a Sportster... that is one option that would add $400 to the price of the Frankenstein (which comes standard with a single rear brake).

Hey Darth, that is interesting what you say about the comparison of prices. like i said when we went and looked at the two kits the price totally completed was way over $1000.00 difference. i suppose each dealer has his own prices and you can accept them or not. i think anybody driving any kind of motorcycle would want rear brakes especially in wet weather and in the curvy hills and mountains.

It's your money so spend it as you wish. Me, I'd go for the Champion. I can't give you a real reason why except that I'm familiar with Sporty Champion trikes and I like them. I know little about the Frankenstein. You mentioned the wheelbase being longer on the Champion. Longer = more stability. Take a look at a CSC sometime. The rear wheels are behind the passenger seat on those. Wider = more stability and the raked tree gives you way better steering especially at low speed. So from a pure handling point of view, a long, wide trike with a raked front end is easier to handle than a short narrow one that has no rake. When I was picking a manufacturer, someone told me that between the major players it was like picking between Chevy and Ford, Toyota or Honda. Neither choice is really wrong or better. They are just different.

P.S. I'd get the brake option if I went with the Frankenstein because I want all the brakes I can get.

Last edited:
We have a 2008 custom 1200. We went with the Roadsmith conversion. It was pricey but what a ride. It is like my full size trike. We went with reverse, racked trees and a parking brake.

Attachments

• sportster trike 2 (2).JPG
    sportster trike 2 (2).JPG
    159 KB · Views: 291
  • trike 5 (2).JPG
    trike 5 (2).JPG
    843.9 KB · Views: 289
Trike conversion

my wife and i looked at both of these kits for her sportster and like you said they are about the same. i personally like the Champion kit better but that is only my opinion. the other thing i like about the Champion kit is the price over the Frankenstein kit, cheaper by a lot.

I have the Frankenstein conversion on my XL1200 sporty. I love it. BUT, if you go with Frankstein, ABSOLUTELY GET THE DUAL BRAKE KIT. It may be light but the single brakes are really hard to stop it. Otherwise it's a great kit.

I have the Frankenstein conversion on my XL1200 sporty. I love it. BUT, if you go with Frankstein, ABSOLUTELY GET THE DUAL BRAKE KIT. It may be light but the single brakes are really hard to stop it. Otherwise it's a great kit.

I don't care what you ride ... more braking power is always a good thing.

Brakes & Frankstein Sporty

Hey Darth, that is interesting what you say about the comparison of prices. like i said when we went and looked at the two kits the price totally completed was way over $1000.00 difference. i suppose each dealer has his own prices and you can accept them or not. i think anybody driving any kind of motorcycle would want rear brakes especially in wet weather and in the curvy hills and mountains.
i have a Sporty with Frankenstein l love it EXCEPT for the brakes. Even tho the Sporty is a light bike, you ABSOLUTELY NEED TWO DISC BRAKES ON THE BACK. This baby is hard to stop with just one brake on front & back

'bout them rear brakes

I know this is an old post, so hoping y'all sharing info are still above ground. Come here by way of a months search in a quest for these rear brakes. I bought a 2006 1200 custom HD Sportster - immediately tore it apart to rebuild with a Frankenstein rear. Went with the dual outboard brake option. When I ordered it Daniel at Frankenstein told me I will probably want a better rear master cylinder. Hince - my never ending search. Still in the build process - waiting on paint, but also the brakes. It's together enough - brakes are bled, re-bled, bled some more - and believe he's right... need a bigger rear master cylinder to pump more fluid. I can still turn the 265/50-15 tires by hand with the pedal pumped. This '06 rear master cylinder is nothing like my wifes 01 Sportster. This is a plastic unit up under the bike... not the rectangle unit off on the right side. On the '06 the mounts for the '01 type don't exist. Anybody know what other Harley model rear master cylinder can provide more fluid pressure? Or an aftermarket cylinder of such? I'm down to searching forums.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png