3M Paint Defender Spray

Reaction score
Applied this to my trike and I must say I am very impressed. This is by far the best looking protector I have come across. You have to get real close to the bike to even notice the hairline paint line. There are you tube videos that you can see how to apply and the end result. I was able to cover the areas I felt would take the most road abuse and you would have a hard time noticing the film applied. You can peel it off and reapply in time if it warrants such. This product reminds me of the same application painters use when they are painting a house and apply a similar product to windows. Two Thumbs up!!

I am very curious to see how well this material holds up --to flying debris and weather elements --- I have not been a happy camper with the results of the regular film

Any Canadian riders interested in this will have to wait, or have an American friend sneek it across the border. Not available in Canada yet and US dealers are not allowed to ship to Canada yet.

I have the regular 3M film applied by a professional installer. It has been on my TG for 5 years and I am very impressed with it. It is not the film that HD sells. There is quite a difference

3M has since replace the spray nozzle. The new one is not round and has a large arrow on the top whereas the other was more round and had a smaller arrow. I experienced no clumping or such when spraying. As an experiment I even sprayed the front fender and then removed after it dried to see how well it would remove. No problems. I do recommend using 1/4 inch vinyl tape to the last application of tape to make the desired turns one needs to make to get a more complete application. The other films on the market just don't cover enough area. This is due to not being able to conform to the shapes and curves our bikes have. I was able to apply this to the trouble spots that was a concern of mine looking at the precut films on the market.

I've sent for a can from Amazon UK, I'll give it a try on something else first, :D

Do you need to warm it up to remove it?

Ive just read the above link, looks like I should have bought the wax kit, ah well, I can order again ;)

Last edited:
WOW! 5 minutes after my post the can of 3M Film arrives, :10: for Amazon, only ordered it yesterday,

and it does have a sachet of wax prep in the box so all's good to go,

I've sent for a can from Amazon UK, I'll give it a try on something else first, :D

Do you need to warm it up to remove it?

Ive just read the above link, looks like I should have bought the wax kit, ah well, I can order again ;)

Wax comes in the kit. My experience is that I removed it in a 70 degree room with no problems. Make sure you put a good enough coat on it so it will be able to peel off. If the spray coat is too thin it will be more difficult to remove as the it will not come off in sheets but rather little pieces. However, make sure you do not buy the round paint nozzle with the small arrow. It will spit and foam up and will not give you the desired results. You can google the difference in the paint nozzles to see what I mean. I thought about the amazon route but I wanted to make sure I knew what nozzle came with the product so I just went to the AutoZone store and put my hands on it to make sure I got the right one.

I order prolly 80% of my stuff from amazon......the great thingy about it is, ya don't have to leave your house,as it comes right to your door....NO HASSLE.....that's what I like.....I usually find enough stuff to get at least 30 dollas worth ,then shipping is FREE.......

- - - Updated - - -

3M has since replace the spray nozzle. The new one is not round and has a large arrow on the top whereas the other was more round and had a smaller arrow. I experienced no clumping or such when spraying. As an experiment I even sprayed the front fender and then removed after it dried to see how well it would remove. No problems. I do recommend using 1/4 inch vinyl tape to the last application of tape to make the desired turns one needs to make to get a more complete application. The other films on the market just don't cover enough area. This is due to not being able to conform to the shapes and curves our bikes have. I was able to apply this to the trouble spots that was a concern of mine looking at the precut films on the market.

Hey John, good advise. I have the HD pre-cut film on our 2012 TG. I hope it will come off fairly easy so I can apply the spray-on stuff from 3M. There are two problems with the HD film. 1 is, as you said, not enough coverage. 2 is, that stinking wax line at the edge of the film, you just can't get it off.
Ride on from Greeneville

Hey John, good advise. I have the HD pre-cut film on our 2012 TG. I hope it will come off fairly easy so I can apply the spray-on stuff from 3M. There are two problems with the HD film. 1 is, as you said, not enough coverage. 2 is, that stinking wax line at the edge of the film, you just can't get it off.
Ride on from Greeneville

I also have the Harley kit on mine, also agree on the coverage, but I haven't had much trouble with wax lines. I do use the micro-fiber towels for finish. But I only wax about once a year, & use zymol detailer spray the rest of the time.
Shines like crazy !

Thanks for all the tips ,

I have bought the the HD kit, but i'll keep that in storage just in case,

Just thinking out loud, :) wonder if the fork lowers would be good treated with the spray ???

Thanks for all the tips ,

I have bought the the HD kit, but i'll keep that in storage just in case,

Just thinking out loud, :) wonder if the fork lowers would be good treated with the spray ???

I'm thinking the same thing. I do wax them now so I'll probably spray them also.

Maybe even my chrome Anarchy wheels??? Maybe not.
ThumbUp

What am I missing? Why wouldn't you use this 3 m spray on protector on at least the trike fender area? Seams so much easier than applying film.
the utube videos make it look easy
hap

What am I missing? Why wouldn't you use this 3 m spray on protector on at least the trike fender area? Seams so much easier than applying film.
the utube videos make it look easy
hap

I have applied the film to all three fenders and the front fairing. The lowers will be done soon. I did notice that I got a better spray application by NOT releasing the spray nozzle on each pass of the can as I have been accustomed to do with regular rattle cans. I just pass over the target and then back. If I am not mistaken the video shows the person using a continuous spray and not releasing the spray nozzle on each pass as well. I did apply more coverage than the 3 passes they recommend. You must be careful though to not create any sagging from too much product being applied. My thoughts are that with this product that a little more is not a bad thing. I found that two cans will do all the areas I mentioned on my bike and give me the desired "thickness" I am looking for. In this weather though I would let the product cure no less than 4 days. They state will cure in 1-4 days. I took the fairing off the bike to spray and went to put it back on after one day and I scarred it up as it was too soft on the surface and had to reshoot it. That is how I know the product comes off easy. For me, experience became my best teacher.

- - - Updated - - -

Ride on from Greeneville

Jim, what I do is use a soft tooth brush to clean the tape edges. removes any wax or dirt and makes it undetectable - unless you get a few inches away.
I have to point to the film in order for people to know it's there.

I'm really hopped up on this 3M spray.
Got to give it a try - should be even easier to apply then the film.

Hapbob, did I miss a post. Who said they wouldn't use it on the fender area?

- - - Updated - - -

Jim, what I do is use a soft tooth brush to clean the tape edges. removes any wax or dirt and makes it undetectable - unless you get a few inches away.
I have to point to the film in order for people to know it's there.

I'm really hopped up on this 3M spray.
Got to give it a try - should be even easier to apply then the film.

Hapbob, did I miss a post. Who said they wouldn't use it on the fender area?

It took much longer preparing the surface than it did to spray. The taping process especially on the lowers took quite some time as I completely dismantled them prior to spraying. I taped off the areas that were covered by the upper part of the lowers and taped off the vent areas. So far I am very pleased with the results. Peace of mind!

It took much longer preparing the surface than it did to spray. The taping process especially on the lowers took quite some time as I completely dismantled them prior to spraying. I taped off the areas that were covered by the upper part of the lowers and taped off the vent areas. So far I am very pleased with the results. Peace of mind!

Here are some pics to go by. The last pic you can see the film edge. It is not completely dry when photo was taken. The line is not nearly as noticeable now that is cured. Like I said, very happy with the end result.
IMG_20140125_091130_393.jpgIMG_20140125_091321_943.jpgIMG_20140125_133503_752.jpg

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png