Sand and Gravel between Rear Fender & Trike Body

Jul 12, 2013
Crawford County, AR
Is anyone else experiencing the sand & fine gravel from the winter road treatments getting stuck between the rear fenders and the trike body?

I have tried to power wash them out but they are stuck pretty good.
There is something about these trikes that cause the small gravel to get everywhere. I found gravel in the seat when we get off the bike.

This weekend gravel/sand got caught between my legs and the tank causing a few ugly scratches.

I have added a wide front fender flap that nearly touches the ground; no help!

Has anyone used a clear or black silicone to fill the joint between the fenders and trike body?

Looking for wisdom from you long term trike owners. I have had mine for a few months and it looks like a 5 year old trike.

That's the perils of riding in the winter, I have the same problems with the sand,salt,gravel. I always have to wipe the stuff off the seat,.
That said the only alternative is not to ride... I chose to ride no matter what the weather.
That's why I have a Trike..

I ride every Sunday all winter .........but not this year.......can't get it out the garage door - too much snow piled in front of it. :gah:

I've never had that problem(they don't use sand here - just salt and liquid deicer), but now that you mention it, that would be a bad thing with the fender moving separtely from the body, could cause a lot of problems.
I'm thinking of maybe a small bead of clear silicone along the joint????

or stay away from sand. :)

I ride every Sunday all winter .........but not this year.......can't get it out the garage door - too much snow piled in front of it. :gah:

I've never had that problem(they don't use sand here - just salt and liquid deicer), but now that you mention it, that would be a bad thing with the fender moving separtely from the body, could cause a lot of problems.

Careful with silicone, some will fog gloss surfaces due to they contain Acetate. Check with a body shop before trying any type of sealer materials. They may have a suggestion what would be safe to use.

rhino 2 – like you I bought it to ride it.

GARYD – I agree if there is any sunshine and no ice I am ridding. I will find something to keep the sand out.

Fusionfool – good idea to check with a paint & Body shop.

Thanks guys

rhino 2 – like you I bought it to ride it.

GARYD – I agree if there is any sunshine and no ice I am ridding. I will find something to keep the sand out.

Fusionfool – good idea to check with a paint & Body shop.

Thanks guys
Talk to Kevin at DK Custom about fender welting. I think he put it on his Trike.

GARYD,
I live in the NE of IL. Do you have a heated garage so that you can wash it when done riding in the salt/brine garbage they use? I don't ride in this garbage due to no way to wash it.

GARYD,
I live in the NE of IL. Do you have a heated garage so that you can wash it when done riding in the salt/brine garbage they use? I don't ride in this garbage due to no way to wash it.

No, I do not have a heated garage. I did take my wifes Virago out once a few years ago and stopped at a car wash on the way home. Stayed away from wheel bearings and electrical stuff with the hi pressure spray.
That year we drove thru snow drifts 12" high out by RT47 and North Ave on our annual Freeze Your Ass Off ride Jan 1st. :D

Normally I soak the TG with S100 Corrosion Protectant and just ride. I don't worry about the salt with that stuff on the bike.
Depending on the weather between now and Sunday, I may take the bike out for a ride. The rain has pretty much melted the snow and washed the salt off.

I remember years ago that the VW Bug had some type of vinyl bead around the fenders and the body. Wonder if something like that would work?

Re: Sand and Gravel between Rear Fender & Trike Body

OK, will there be a post on here about sand and dirt getting between the fender welt and the fender AND the body????:laugh:

That might be right Steve, but it won't be as obvious ! Been thinking about that also. Not only that, but two places....

- - - Updated - - -

If I could find the one I saw a long time back it was made like an "I". It would just fill the gap on top, & not sit on top. It was made of a silicone & molded around curves easily.

Sand and crap between the welting and what ever will not be a problem. The welting is soft (compared to body) and will give so removing san ect will not be as much of a problem.

Sand and crap between the welting and what ever will not be a problem. The welting is soft (compared to body) and will give so removing san ect will not be as much of a problem.

Actually the welting is pretty stiff. It is a vinyl with a stiff plastic tube to form the bead.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png