GL1500 reverse weak?

Reaction score
I have a GL1500 ('93) with a Motor Trike kit on it. This is my first Trike and my first Goldwing.

To me, the reverse gear seems very weak.

As an example, it can't climb a 1/2 inch step from the concrete slab outside, to the concrete slab inside the shed.
I realize that the Motor Trike kit is adding a lot of weight, but can anyone confirm that it's lack of reverse power is normal, or should I be looking for a problem?

The battery is in good shape and the charging system seems to be operating properly.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, Allan

I can't comment on a 1500 trike, but I can tell you that on my 1800 Roadsmith, reverse is very slow. And with that said, even though I've never tried to back up over a slight ledge, I think my trike would also have problems doing so. You have to remember that the reverse on a Wing is just the starter motor being engaged. As a two wheeler they're very slow so you can just imagine the extra weight and girth that motor has to deal with in a trike configuration.

I for one try not to use my reverse as much as possible to avoid the extra strain on the starter motor.

I tend to agree, the Honda reverse is a "low load" set up. It's not designed for sustained use, or in a fashion that creates an added load to it. I wouldn't "worry" too much about it, sounds like your reverse is pretty much on par with the norm.

I had a 1500 with a Motor Trike kit. The reverse, as it is with my 1800, is not fast or strong. I never park where I have to back up a hill cause if it is very steep or long it won't do it. So, no there is nothing to be concerned with.

Allan, I would agree, we trikers are asking that starter motor to move a lot more weight now and thus why I try to really take it easy on mine. Replacing a starter motor is not fun . . . . . . . . ask me how I know. LOL By-the-way, that sure is a nice looking ride you have.

As the others have said reverse is pretty weak.
I have an 1800 and am not very happy with it myself.
I cant get up or out of my Aunts driveway with just a slight incline to it.
I use my reverse 2 times a day every day and fear Im going to burn it out prematurely.
Time will tell.
I know I should get me a spare starter motor just in case.

Yep reverse is really weak, plus I'm over the weight limit. But I back it up all the time, just differently. My fat butt nor the spouse is on the trike when doing this... first is have the bike running in neutral, next engage reverse, get off trike and go to the reverse control / starter button side of the trike, turn the bars where you want to go and then push the starter button and back she goes - even over slight bumps. You just have to walk along with the trike and let off every so often to cool that starter motor... never had a problem. When you get it where you want it, release the starter button, remount your trike, Apply brake and release the reverse button and either leave it in gear, chock it and in gear or turn into curb or apply parking brake if equipped .... never lost the trike or the wife yet..... just the way I do it without buying a new starter motor.

clapping%20smilie.gif

The reverse on the Wing isn't made to back up a trike, it is made to back up a 2 wheeler while balancing the bike. Backing up a nearly 900 lb (laden)2 wheel machine while also keeping it upright without help from the reverse isn't easy or pleasant. (Just ask someone trying to back up a loaded HD Ultra) If the reverse went too fast it would not be safe backing up, and that makes the Goldwing reverse is painfully slow on the trike, and the trike kit puts a stress on the reverse parts that they weren't really designed to take. Most of the time I'll help out the starter motor with some "Flintstone reverse".
I miss the reverse we had on the Trike Shop Runabout. Regular VW gearbox, could get some serious backing up done on that trike.

Ok, thanks for the confirmation that my scenario is not abnormal.

I hadn't thought about walking it into the shed, as described by Solidbob.
Will have to give that a try, to see if the lack of my weight makes enough of a difference.

Allan

I can agree what others have mentioned plus add my 2 cents.
What is happening is AGE + weight + gearing.The age most likely most of your problem.Also you don't know just how often the previous owner used that reverse.That alone will take it's toll.Any added weight will make a difference.As a 2-wheeler,reverse on the 1500's was to be used as a "backing assist".
The gearing difference between the automotive rear end is slightly different than original final drive gearing as a 2 wheel bike.A perfect match in gearing could not be done.That's why they back slower ,combined with a possible weaker starter motor on your bike.
On my 1500,when and if I use reverse,I increase the throttle speed above idle with the choke pulled out to raise rpm and that seems to move it better.
My 1500 was found and triked about 3 years ago with 12,000 miles on it and previous owner said he had never used reverse,so I hope mine will last a while.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png