• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

What's up with this seat bolt??

Reaction score
So I have now spent two hours trying to line up the back right seat screw.
I never had a problem before on the old bike.
Am I missing a secret??

Frustrated

No, just walk away, go do something else for a while. Maybe come back to it in the morning. It'll go ...... the stars have to be just right and you must repeat the magic word. (I wish I knew what it was)

Make sure that the rubber spacer is aligned properly. Sometimes they will get hung up on the frame. Put a phillips screwdriver about one inch into the spacer. Then gently lift up on the handle. Many times this will get it back where it belongs.

Good luck.

Make sure the rubber spacer is not mislocated.
Then use a drift punch or a wooden dowel to align the seat mounting hole w/the threaded hole in the frame. Pull punch or dowel out and in goes the screw.

Where the back of the seat touches the frame support make sure there are no wires laying across the frame, this can hold the seat up just enough to cause problems. I agree about the phillips screw driver as an alignment aid.

All of the above, and you might modify your seat bolts to make them easier to hit the hole. These are on an aftermarket parts site for about $15. (<font color="#0000cd">silver bolts below</font>) It is easy to do this mod to the bolts with a bit of time and a file. Be sure to clean up the threads after you file down the ends.For $5 more you can get these, (<font color="#0000cd">the darker ones below</font>) or even more time with a file or a lathe these can be had. I filed ours down like the silver set and they really do make it easier to find the holes in the frame. The problem got more challenging with an aftermarket seat. Seems on a lot of custom seats the bolt holes don't line up as nicely as on OEM.<br />
<br />
Oh, and just start the bolts and leave them loose until all 4 are started. Tightening one side or even just 1 bolt can pull the seat askew, and that can end up adding to the vocabulary of any child within earshot.<br />
<br />
Edit: for some reason the pictures of the modified seat bolts didn't come through inserted in line. I'll try again-

Attachments

• gl1800 seat bolts.png
    gl1800 seat bolts.png
    273.2 KB · Views: 104
  • GL1800_Seat_Bolts_15.jpg
    GL1800_Seat_Bolts_15.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
All of the above, and you might modify your seat bolts to make them easier to hit the hole. These are on an aftermarket parts site for about $15.
WHERE??View attachment 19371

Oh, and just start the bolts and leave them loose until all 4 are started. Tightening one side or even just 1 bolt can pull the seat askew, and that can end up adding to the vocabulary of any child within earshot.

Good idea. I am going to attack it again this morning.

I used to have fits every time I put the seat back on my Wing. I finally bought some new bolts from Wingstuff that are tapered and go in easy as can be. It was only 14 bucks but sure saved me some headaches.

I thought it was just me, been messing around trying to get all bolts in for a couple weeks now, ordering bolts from wingstuff now.

My seat goes on without any problems. You just need to take your time and make sure of a few things:
1. All wires, cables and other obstructions are clear.
2. Remove the passenger backrest-It's only two screws accessed in the trunk and makes it easier to replace the seat.
3. Use something (duct tape, silicone, gorilla glue, etc) to secure the rubber grommets onto the seat pan so they don't fall off.
4. When replacing the seat, make sure the tab in front fits into the slot.
5. Sometimes it helps to have someone sit on the passenger seat to get the holes lined up.
6. Get one bolt started but don't tighten any of them until all 4 are started.

My seat goes on without any problems. You just need to take your time and make sure of a few things:
1. All wires, cables and other obstructions are clear.
2. Remove the passenger backrest-It's only two screws accessed in the trunk and makes it easier to replace the seat.
3. Use something (duct tape, silicone, gorilla glue, etc) to secure the rubber grommets onto the seat pan so they don't fall off.
4. When replacing the seat, make sure the tab in front fits into the slot.
5. Sometimes it helps to have someone sit on the passenger seat to get the holes lined up.
6. Get one bolt started but don't tighten any of them until all 4 are started.

Number 3 is something I never thought of.....excellent suggestion!!!!!

Hooray for tapered bolts.
Took the back seat pad off and was able to move some things around.
The plug for the heated seat seams to have been the culprit. Found that it will fit up under the trunk.

All put together. Thanks for you input.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png