Clutch Switch Issue

MDGeorge

May 10, 2013
Pensacola, Fl
On the new trike...
2012 GL1800, Viper.
The clutch switch is suppose to prevent you from starting the bike in gear. This is a good thing and as it should be.
However, on mine, the radio cuts off when I put it into gear. Actually all sound cuts off (iPod, Navigation). Like the sound is tied to the starter.

Any ideas?

On the new trike...
2012 GL1800, Viper.
The clutch switch prevents you from starting the bike in gear. This is a good thing and as it should be.
When the clutch is released (let out) and the bike is in gear, you cannot start the bike.
However, on mine, the radio also cuts off. Actually all sound cuts off (iPod, Navigation). Like the sound is tied to the starter.

Any ideas?

My sound and maybe other things cut out when the starter is engaged, even when reverse is engaged.

I think I misstated the issue.
It starts fine. No issue with the starter.
The only issue is the sound cuts off when I put it in gear.

radio only plays when bike is not running ??.?? Is that right??.

Almost right.
No sound item works if the bike is in gear.
If it is in neutral, or the clutch is pulled in, or the bike is not running, everything works.

It appears to be timed with the clutch switch. If the bike is running, and I begin to let the clutch lever out, in gear, the switch clicks and the sound cuts off.

Almost right.
No sound item works if the bike is in gear.
If it is in neutral, or the clutch is pulled in, or the bike is not running, everything works.

It appears to be timed with the clutch switch. If the bike is running, and I begin to let the clutch lever out, in gear, the switch clicks and the sound cuts off.
Ok let's isolate this.
Bike is running in gear and clutch is out ( radio does not plays)
Bike is in Neutral clutch is out ( radio does play )
If you sit on the bike not running and play with clutch does the radio cut out...?
If this is all true , than the clutch switch is not a factor...
Check fuses ( I would replace them ) 1. 13. 10.
Check your kick stand switch
start there

Ok let's isolate this.
1) Bike is running in gear and clutch is out ( radio does not plays)
2) Bike is in Neutral clutch is out ( radio does play )
3) If you sit on the bike not running and play with clutch does the radio cut out...?
If this is all true , than the clutch switch is not a factor...
Check fuses ( I would replace them ) 1. 13. 10.
Check your kick stand switch
start there

1) True
2) True
3) Radio also works if bike is not running, regardless of gear or clutch.

All fuses have power.
Kick Stand is removed. Where would I find the switch?.

Maybe Diode in fuse box??

By the way, thanks for your help.
Looks like warranty thing.

On the new trike...
2012 GL1800, Viper.
The clutch switch prevents you from starting the bike in gear. This is a good thing and as it should be.
When the clutch is released (let out) and the bike is in gear, you cannot start the bike.
However, on mine, the radio also cuts off. Actually all sound cuts off (iPod, Navigation). Like the sound is tied to the starter.

Any ideas?

Let me check mine for a second.
But Id take it to be a voltage thing.
Hit the starter everything but the starter should go out.
This way your getting full amps to the starter system.
Ok I now just checked mine. It works same as yours all go off when you hit the starter.
Seem a practical thing to me for it to do.

Thanks Jay.
However, my issue is not the starter turning things off. I expect that.
The problem is that when I put it into gear, the radio turns off.

Just to be safe I would purchase news fuses and change them. The next thing according to my shop manual is the control module . It has the Diode . If you have time left on the warrantee take it to a dealer

Thanks Jay.
However, my issue is not the starter turning things off. I expect that.
The problem is that when I put it into gear, the radio turns off.

I realized that after rereading this thread.
But since you had restated yourself..............................My bad for missing or miss reading.

George, typically the "switch" for the kickstand is placed behind the left "chromed" side cover where you would find the alternator/overflow coolant tank. The install "may" have placed tape over it. If not, I would. Just to see how it works, which it not a bad idea, once you find it (it will be rounded), place the bike in neutral and with it running, take the "silver" tab and rotate it and watch as the bike will light up the "S" for side stand down. This is food to know in the event you ever have an F1 light come on so you can "read" the codes. Once you get comfortable with that, make sure you rotate it to where the "S" is out on you dash panel and I would then tape it up with electrical tape to hold in place.

As for your audio problem, I would check all the grounds that you can get to. The battery and the one on the right side of the bike near the rear brake master cylinder just to be sure they are secure.

The main ground is under the gas tank and is a pain to get too (ask me how I know) thus if these few suggestions are of no help, it might be time to put to use that warranty.

Good luck with it.

I appreciate your input. Thanks.

If it were the side stand, would it not cut the ignition off?

That I could not answer having never ridden a 2 wheeled GW.
But every other bike Ive owned in say the last 15 years.
Kickstand down was a dead issue.
Many times Ive shut down my RoadStar just by lowering the kickstand.
As I have a keyless ignition. My own design on it.
All my 2 wheelers though have had a kickstand interlock in recent years.
They only make sense from a safety standpoint..

Can you unplug the clutch switch at the handlebars and see if your problem goes away?.To my knowledge the only action it does is disengage cruise control when running.Why that switch would have anything to do with the radio could be a wiring or short problem somewhere.
Knowing the answer would be interesting.

Wonder if the problem is associated with the mute circuit?

If you suspect the clutch switch, there could be a broken or pinched wire in the left handlebar assembly.

Can you unplug the clutch switch at the handlebars and see if your problem goes away?.To my knowledge the only action it does is disengage cruise control when running.Why that switch would have anything to do with the radio could be a wiring or short problem somewhere.
Knowing the answer would be interesting.

If I pull the two plugs from the clutch switch, then use a fuse to connect the two plugs to each other, everything works. ( I don't know about the cruise)I do get the dreaded yellow ENGINE light.
Just leaving the switch unplugged does not change the problem.

If I pull the two plugs from the clutch switch, then use a fuse to connect the two plugs to each other, everything works. ( I don't know about the cruise)I do get the dreaded yellow ENGINE light.

Just leaving the switch unplugged does not change the problem.

I will check the wire diagram and see what the 2 wires are for. The switch does work properly. ( bike won't start in gear unless u pull the clutch lever) right?

What is that other switch for ? Cruise works on engine revs to turn off. I think

It is not fuses. It is not loose connections. It is the kickstand switch doing it's job. Trike builders usually ty wrap the switch up to the frame with the button pushed in. Sounds like yours has come loose. look for the switch in the area where it would have been as a two wheeler.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png