Aftermarket Exhaust on new Triglide

Wow!...I got to thank Rhino and Msocko3, I had no idea that the stock mufflers were different, and I was getting ready tomorrow to put the stock ones back on, one reason is there is a steep hill on the way home, I noticed when I had the stock mufflers on and in 3rd gear at about 3500rpm and goose it, it seemed to have a lot more power then the day I went with the Rush slipons :xzqxz:.

My problem now is I forgot which muffler was left or right :gah:, I looked at the part #'s on them, one is 65538-09 and one is 65846-10A any one know which is right or left ?

Thanks again for the info. I was just getting ready to screw up ThumbUpThumbUp.

Wow!...I got to thank Rhino and Msocko3, I had no idea that the stock mufflers were different, and I was getting ready tomorrow to put the stock ones back on, one reason is there is a steep hill on the way home, I noticed when I had the stock mufflers on and in 3rd gear at about 3500rpm and goose it, it seemed to have a lot more power then the day I went with the Rush slipons :xzqxz:.

My problem now is I forgot which muffler was left or right :gah:, I looked at the part #'s on them, one is 65538-09 and one is 65846-10A any one know which is right or left ?

Just run a stick up the mufflers, The stick will only go in a few inches on the left, while it will go in about a foot on the right one..

65846-10A is the right and 65538-09 is left. Exhaust can make or break how a bike or trike performs. To large of a baffle with a stock or mildly modified engine will kill the bottom end, like wise to small of a baffle with a large displacement high performance build will kill the top end, but it can also help build some more bottom end torque.

Too %$#@ much trouble, do this/do that/can't do this/can't do that/must do that/must do this/is it legal/is it illegal - I'm sticking with the stock pipes. Never had a problem performance wise or sound wise with them. I think the pipes on the '14's are the best sounding stock pipes on any bike.
ThumbUp

Go ahead and spend hundreeds of dollars if you want - not me. Like JJTriker said leaves more money for more important things. :D

GaryD said it best, sound will be the easiest 'crime' for the politicians to identify and they'll come after us like crazy. We'll lose that contest simply because we'll be out voted by the non-riders. He's also right about those with loud pipes just needing to be noticed. If we don't regulate ourselves, the man will regualte us instead.

Before I bought my last set of pipes I spoke to several manufacturers and they all told me the same thing: to get the deepest sound, look for the largest diameter muffler (canister) the manufacturer makes. The largest canister has the best opportunity of attenuating all the high frequencies tones we don't want, to get the deep rumble we do want.

If you find someone that has mufflers you think you might like, standing behind them and blipping the throttle is OK, but not as good as having them go thru the gears riding away from you. Hearing the engine under load is more definative than just revving it.

Ain't muffler hunting fun! I went with Vance and Hines Monster Rounds.

Phu Cat (II Corp, Binh Dinh, Arizona)

I went with the entire setup from Fuel Moto. Ceramic head pipe, tuned mufflers, stage one air and a pre mapped tuner. Reason was not primarily for the sound but a cooler running engine and a little more power. The sound is just a bit louder than stock but far from being obnoxious IMO. Super loud pipes are not for me.

i have a 2014 triglide with V & H true duels, screaming Eagle stage one tune and air cleaner. pipes are definitely louder, but can be easily controlled by the throttle. Cruise speed is no problem with noise. i have, however noted that before the upgrade, the intake was extremely noisy, but not as much after.i was concerned about the heat, which was a little noticeable after getting warmed up.

The other issue was the amount of power at highway speeds when passing. she was little slower then my ultra, i guess because of the weight. we have been working on the tune, and the increase in power and torque has been impressive. looking to straighten out a flat spot between 2500 to 3000 rpm. above 3300 it wants to jump down the road. heat is good. had a friend ride the bike away from me and it has a great Harley sound.

I went with the entire setup from Fuel Moto. Ceramic head pipe, tuned mufflers, stage one air and a pre mapped tuner. Reason was not primarily for the sound but a cooler running engine and a little more power. The sound is just a bit louder than stock but far from being obnoxious IMO. Super loud pipes are not for me.
Same setup on my 2011. Nice sound and the map they sent works great.

Don't like riding with loud pipes anymore. No mater how loud I have made my newer bikes, it never sounded like my 84 shovel.

Last weekend I went for the longest ride so for with the new TG. About half wat to my destination I was a little annoyed with the stock exhaust - it was a bit too loud - nice deep rumble, but too loud - for me anyway. Can't imagine someone actually wanting to make it louder especially for long rides. I will be wearing EAR plugs on my trip to Rolling Thunder next week.

Do they make quieter pipes??? :D

Heat wasn't a problem either and I have enough power to do anything I want to do - legally or illegally - so as hdruss correctly said leaves more money for more important things = BEER and pizza. :D

I have 4" SE slip ons on mine they have a nice sound not to loud. They will rumble if you give it the throttle. Have had stock, V&H slash cuts, and Bub 7 on it I like the SE the best.

Last weekend I went for the longest ride so for with the new TG. About half wat to my destination I was a little annoyed with the stock exhaust - it was a bit too loud - nice deep rumble, but too loud - for me anyway. Can't imagine someone actually wanting to make it louder especially for long rides. I will be wearing EAR plugs on my trip to Rolling Thunder next week.

Do they make quieter pipes??? :D

Heat wasn't a problem either and I have enough power to do anything I want to do - legally or illegally - so as hdruss correctly said leaves more money for more important things = BEER and pizza. :D

I see they made a change in the right side muffler for the 2013 MY, maybe they tweaked it to make it a touch louder due to the cat acting like a pre-muffler.

had drag pipes on my 1200 sportster (no baffles) Great performance!. I don't think you can get any louder. at least I cant hear it any more if you can.

Just got a 2013 Triglide. For a 103, I found the power a little I expected much more. So .... I will make more. Those that say their trike is peppy just don't know performance. Sure I know there is more mass to get moving. I'm just saying that a machine of this caliber should get more out of a 103 cu. in. motor.\
Thats 1690 cc.
One of the biggest bike motors out there.

I believe its pollution restrictions that can be blamed for a motor that can't breath. I had a 2001 classic with a 95 inch build that got 50 miles per gallon two up riding. No BS, I checked.
That's Canadian gallons which are 1/5 bigger than the US gallon. It dyno'd at 108 hp 104 hp. Very reliable. Lots of pep. Even loaded down with two up and camping gear. Now I got a trike with a 103 and I feel its a slug. So here I go again with performance changes to suit me.

And I'm only 66.
SO ... to those that may know.

Can I leave the stock pipes, change the air cleaner and add a cam, or do the pipes have to go.?

Just got a 2013 Triglide. For a 103, I found the power a little sucky. I expected much more. So .... I will make more. Those that say their trike is peppy just don't know performance. Sure I know there is more mass to get moving. I'm just saying that a machine of this caliber should get more out of a 103 cu. in. motor.
Thats 1690 cc.
One of the biggest bike motors out there.

I believe its pollution restrictions that can be blamed for a motor that can't breath. I had a 2001 classic with a 95 inch build that got 50 miles per gallon two up riding. No BS, I checked.
That's Canadian gallons which are 1/5 bigger than the US gallon. It dyno'd at 108 hp 104 hp. Very reliable. Lots of pep. Even loaded down with two up and camping gear. Now I got a trike with a 103 and I feel its a slug. So here I go again with performance changes to suit me.
And I'm only 66.
SO ... to those that may know.

Can I leave the stock pipes, change the air cleaner and add a cam, or do the pipes have to go.You can leave the stock pipes, but if you do a free flowing A/C, a good tune, and cams, you will be leaving a lot on the table if you don't replace the restrictive exhaust also.
Kevin

I took my stock 2014 mufflers off today and I was really surprised in how restricted the flow is. There is an almost closed restriction about 3/4 the way down both mufflers. No wonder these Tri-Glides are so warm. Tony

I see they made a change in the right side muffler for the 2013 MY, maybe they tweaked it to make it a touch louder due to the cat acting like a pre-muffler.

I know this thread is gaining age but I wanted to add what I found on my stock mufflers. I can stick a piece of wood about 10" in the end of either muffler. Running a light in the end it looks like the baffle closes up on 4 points blocking the air flow. This is on a 2013 stock mufflers both sides

On my 11 Tri-Glide the stock left side muffler in baffled down at least 30% more than the right side, And thats so the back pressure will be even with both cylinders, So if you go to true duels, You can't/shouldn't use them it defeats the purpose of the true duels.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png