Clutch is Stuck---HELP!!!

drumdoctor

Reaction score
I have a 1600 single port.

My clutch is stuck!!!

I went on a short run the other day, then parked the trike.
Everything was working great.
I went out yesterday and replaced the clutch cable---
I pushed the clutch to check on the amount of play in the cable---
I then discovered the clutch would not work---I could not get the pedal to depress.
meaning, it is frozen in place.

Any ideas--tips or suggestions?

HELP---I wanna ride!!!

:Shrug: :AGGHH:

My clutch is stuck!!!

I then discovered the clutch would not work---I could not get the pedal to depress.

HELP---I wanna ride!!!

Check your work on the cable install. Disconnect the cable and then see if the arm will move with the cable un hooked. Check and see if the spring is on right. Maybe the throwout bearing got hooked or moved out of the fork somehow. If that happened you will have to pull the engine. Thats not a difficult job. But it really sounds like something at the spring on the arm that the cable attaches to is not right. Thats my best guess.

Ted

I think Ted is right , I'd do the same thing before pulling the engine . You may have pulled more engines than I can count but if not , simplest engine I've ever pulled . Another thing you may want to check if you do are the trans mount (if rubber ) this would be a good time to replace . I would also replace clutch while it was down there not expensive at all . Let us know how it goes . RickThumbUp

The first thing I would check is the wing nut that adjusts the clutch. It might be run up too far on the threaded end of the cable. Try backing it off. If that doesn't help then something else is wrong.;)

The first thing I would check is the wing nut that adjusts the clutch. It might be run up too far on the threaded end of the cable. Try backing it off. If that doesn't help then something else is wrong.;)

Good thought he might have it full engaged without the pedal even being down. A quick test for that would be does it go into gear while running without pressing the pedal. If so then that is it. Adjust the wing nut all the way out. Then back in until you get the play you are looking for.

I pulled the cable about 6 inches to the rear and then forward.
There is total freedom for the cable.

I put vice grips on the arm and it only moved about 1 inch.

I reattached the cable back to the pedal and tried to push it down.
It only moved 1 inch--just like the arm.

What is odd is that I worked the clutch pedal 10 or 12 times, as I was trying to get it adjusted with the correct amount of play.

I went back inside because of rain, then went back to the trike the next day.
That is when I tried to work the clutch and found out it did not work.

Is there any VW triker that lives in or near Tampa,Fl?

I would like to have someone help me in case I need to pull the engine.
I know that it is only 4 bolts, but I am nervous about doing this work by myself.

I am 64 and a disabled, Viet Nam vet.

Contact; Mike---drumdoctor@live.com
407-953-5007

Thanks for all the help.

:pepper:

Mike wish I were there I'd damn sure help you , do you mind me putting your number on facebook to vw trikes of Fla. ? If it's not something your comfortable with I certainly won't do it .

I'm afraid that you are going to have to pull the motor. My guess with the added narrative that you may have somehow had the throw out bearing go cockeyed on the shaft. Only can guess from here. I live to far away to help personally. Good Luck

Stuck in reverse

My clutch is stuck!!!

HELP---I wanna ride!!!

i have the same problem with my Spyder. Gear shifter is frozen.

Could be 2 slider gears not sliding if manual trans. Maybe rock back and forth with pressure on lever to release. If it works , seek help, it will happen again.

Last edited:
Pretty much sounds like the pressure plate let go. Probably just a fluke that it happened after you were messing with it.

I've had similar issues in the past and it always seemed that it was the pressure plate.

I'm not even close to Florida or I sure would come get it done for ya. I'm not sure who is in that area man. Hopefully we have someone chime in that can get to ya and give ya a hand. :clapping:

I would have to agree with the pressure plate giving up. I know its comparing apples to oranges but, I have the same problem on an old ford pickup I had. turns out the release bearing went halfway thought the pressure plate fingers and got stuck, at least on a vw getting to it is a lot easier that a '79 ford f150!

Thats OK ThumbUp... Even info given on an old post, will be of help to new readers... :clapping:

It would be nice though' That when someone posts a problem , They Would post back whether or not they found the answer to that problem...:Shrug:

Yea that would be a big help for someone with the same problem:Dorag:

Thats OK ThumbUp... Even info given on an old post, will be of help to new readers... :clapping:

It would be nice though' That when someone posts a problem , They Would post back whether or not they found the answer to that problem...:Shrug:

That seems to be an issue with a lot of threads throughout many many forums. Seems like a person finds and fixes the problem and then just disappears.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png