Hello from Eastern Kansas

jaybasr

Reaction score
New guy just trying to decide on 98 GL1500 Champion or new 2009 GL1800 Champion need pros and cons on both. Thanks for any info in advance Jay A.

Hi Jay, and a big welcome to TrikeTalk! I can't give you advice on your question, but I did want to say we are glad to have you here. You WILL get lots of opinions and help though. Sort through it all and pick out what is important for you. I suspect you will be happy whatever you decide!

Welcome to the board... Ok U asked---We have a 2000se Goldwing and love it.. I did not buy the 2001 and have it triked, because of the money and warranty... What I mean by that is I could have afforded the 2001 but the minute I triked it I lost the warranty on a brand new trike. So I got the 2000se that had no warranty, less money?? and if anything went wrong I knew I would have to pay to have it fixed...
U will get a lot of different replies to this and that is great.. I just have a lot of heart burn paying $30 plus for a new trike and not having any warranty..

Best of luck..

That is my issue with the price on a new trike, $10,000 more than a good used one is alot. But I did find a dealer with pricing about $3,000 to $7,000 less than most on new 2009's with a good warranty. I found a good 1998 just have to figure out if I want used or new and if there are any pros & cons to either one. Thanks; Jay A.

If it is a Honda Goldwing it will have no warranty, no matter what ur dealer tells u.. There is only so much he can cover, trike parts and trike add ons yes.. Honda equip. no...Once Honda gets the vin and finds out it is a trike, they will not cover it for anything.. Honda has gotten to where they require pictures before some warranty work..
Good Luck...

Jaybasr, My daughter has a 97 GW with a California Side Car conversion and loves it. The 1500 is not that much different if power from the 1800. We only paid $14k with 60k miles on it last year. I would expect the 98 that you are looking at should be in that same ball park price wise. If it is good condition and low miles I would go with the 98. Yea you might have to do a little work everyonce in while, but you can have a lot of work done for the 10 to 13 k difference in price..

Thanks for all the info guys, All I have to do is find the time to go take a closer look at the 98 as it is located about 6 hours west of where I live, leaning to the 98. Thanks again Jay A.

Greetings from Michigan...

I have a 1989 GW and its been great. The Goldwing only has one big problem they never wear out., they just keep going and going and thats any year.

I do know that some of the GL 1800 have problems withe the shifting forks bending and thats about a $3000-$4500 fix so I would do some research.

But, they are both great machines

if the shifter is loose on the 1800 get it tightened now otherwise read above

I personally think there is more leg room on the 1500 than the 1800. Both the 1800 and 1500 champion will be solid axle unless you go the extra mile for the IND rear that Champion just came out with. I have ridden both for long periods of time ( Read my story on How did You Become a Triker ) I ride the 1800 about 600 miles a year over the same roads as the I do the 1500 .. . Wife likes the rear seat room better on the 1500. She is not a big girl (see my album ) If you are over 5'9" the 1500 will be more comfortable IMHO

Last edited:
I guess I better get headed west to look at the 98 GW. only 55,000 miles and new champion trike kit. It will save me some $$ or I could trike my 03 Roadstar just do not think it will have the power it has now with the new kit. Thanks again Jay A.

My 1500 wing has enough power to spin rear tires or pull a wheelie . That is enough for me . It can pull me wife and a 500# trailer all day long . Only need to down shift out of 5 th when the hill is very steep and long. BTW what are they asking for the 1500 . It has about 10,000 less than mine? Good for about 50,000 trouble free miles . Only suggestion I would give, if not already done, have new brushes put into the OEM (stock ) alternator or if it has a Compufire alternator already that is better yet. ,

Last edited:
John it is priced at $19,000 the guy who has it is a champion kit dealer but an indepedent shop in western Kansas and is a shirt tail relative of my wife, said he would talk on the price, he just sold a 94, and just bought a 97 to put a trike on already ordered the kit. Might be able to trade the 03 Roadstar he has a guy looking for one to trike. We will see how it goes it just take 6 hours to get there from where I live and I still have to work for a living but only 5 days a week except for this week got to work 1/2 day saturday Thanks; Jay A.

Jay 19k is on the high end but if he will give you a good price on your trade then it might be a deal.

The price is why I am looking for all the info I can get. Used tikes in my area are slim. I my still looking at a kit for my 03 Roadstar, if anyone on here has any input on the proformance on a 1600 yamaha roadstar with a trike kit like power, MPG, and handling ect. would be helpful. Thanks; Jay A.

Last edited:
The price is why I am looking for all the info I can get. Used tikes in my area are slim. I my still looking at a kit for my 03 Roadstar, if anyone on here has any input on the proformance on a 1600 yamaha roadstar with a trike kit like power, MPG, and handling ect. would be helpful. Thanks; Jay A.

Jay, I would strongly recommend you contact Randy (Bazooka) at Adventure Motorsports regarding this as he has triked almost every style of bike there is, I think. Our other main sponsor, UNBCustoms may also be able to advise you regarding the kit for your Roadstar. Feel free to PM both of them for input. I know they also would not object to a phone call, and their numbers will come up if you click on their link.

This is your one stop shopping for Trikes. I would think the Roadstar would make a great trike, It has the power for even 2 up riding and pulling. A friend has a Goldwing 1200 ( much heavier bike ) and has no trouble pulling a trailer and 2 up riding. Only drawback is storage on the Roadstar. You may have to look into a rear trunk. In the short market areas the trike are demanding high price, we are still seeing $ 17,000 + for any trikes around here . A guy out here in CT(another slim pickin area for trikes ) just bought a beat up 2003 Suzuki 800 cc trike for $12,000. I would not settle for less than $18,000 for mine and 50,000 miles is real low miles for a Goldwing heck they break in at 35,000.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png