Spyder's in the shop

2006gold

950+ Posts
Reaction score
Previously posted that the parking brake would not unlock on the Can Am. Finally called the dealer who came to the house, unhooked the brake and rode it to the shop. Turns out the previous owner had wired for suit heat which shorted out and messed up something. Tried riding the thing home when they called saying it was repaired, but the engine ran like ca-ca, died on every stop, did not want to accelerate - just awful. Turned around and rode it back to the dealer. Now waiting to see how much this is going to cost to repair. We want to sell the thing, but you can't do that if it doesn't run right.

Rats.

Previously posted that the parking brake would not unlock on the Can Am. Finally called the dealer who came to the house, unhooked the brake and rode it to the shop. Turns out the previous owner had wired for suit heat which shorted out and messed up something. Tried riding the thing home when they called saying it was repaired, but the engine ran like ca-ca, died on every stop, did not want to accelerate - just awful. Turned around and rode it back to the dealer. Now waiting to see how much this is going to cost to repair. We want to sell the thing, but you can't do that if it doesn't run right.

Rats.
Sounds like limp mode....... Very common with spyders..

I have 14k miles on my RT...no limp modes. Of course i'm sure I just jinxed myself....:laugh:

Nothing against Spyders, but exactly why I did not consider one in my hunt for a trike, too many quirky problems. I'm thinking the 2014s gotta be a way better trike.

Just for additional information sake, I've also been hearing that the new 2014 line are a vast improvement over the previous models.

Info on Can Am Spyders Please

I've been looking at a few Spyders, We have a dealer here in the UK, the model I was looking at was the RT and liked the styling, but remembered that I saw some Info on Trike Talk, and so decided to try and find out more about them from other
Riders before doing anything, any info greatly appreciated...I have a Grinnall 1200c Trike at present.

Re: Info on Can Am Spyders Please

I've been looking at a few Spyders, We have a dealer here in the UK, the model I was looking at was the RT and liked the styling, but remembered that I saw some Info on Trike Talk, and so decided to try and find out more about them from other
Riders before doing anything, any info greatly appreciated...I have a Grinnall 1200c Trike at present.

We have a 2014 RTS and it is great with no problems at all! It is way better
than the early models, no heat issues and no high dollar maintenance problems
and handles great and much better gas mileage. BRP finally got it right, I compare
it to a Goldwing with 3 wheels.
And I have owned a Goldwing too!
Toby

Good testimonial for the 2014 RT. I ride a GW Road Smith, but pleased to read a good report for the 3 cylinder Spyder.

Good testimonial for the 2014 RT. I ride a GW Road Smith, but pleased to read a good report for the 3 cylinder Spyder.

Thanks and they are selling very good and all reports that I have read and

know about have been very positive.

They seem to be as reliable now as the Goldwings ( lets hope so anyway as time

will tell).

Toby

Right on, Toby, keep us posted with the good and the bad, if there is any bad. It's a good feeling to be comfortable with your ride. Going from a GW to CanAm Spyder is a good comparison for report. May you enjoy the journey.

Had a 2012 Spyder RT. The biggest piece of junk in the world. It spent more shop time then road time. Like some said before way to many quirky problems. Left a really bad taste for Can-Ams.

I've heard other similar stories, that's sad because it really damages the brand, even though they may have improved significantly.

To be fair, if the previous owner messed up the wiring that is not the fault of Can Am.

Aw - come on... who want's to be fair? :D :laugh: Our friend, a VERY experienced bike/trike owner had a similar spyder experience when additional lighting was added. Apparently the "electrics" are sensitive to additional devices (as I understand it). Hey - what do I know... :Shrug: :D :laugh:

Aw - come on... who want's to be fair? :D :laugh: Our friend, a VERY experienced bike/trike owner had a similar spyder experience when additional lighting was added. Apparently the "electrics" are sensitive to additional devices (as I understand it). Hey - what do I know... :Shrug: :D :laugh:

Probably so. With the advanced electronic and computers on all vehicles now days you can't just cut some wires and splice in accessories like in the past.:Agree:

I had a 2102 RT A/C SEM5. At 4800 miles it took five weeks to get parts to replace the clutch pack. It road and drove like a four wheeler with a two cylinder Indy car engine and got about the same gas mileage. It was also the scariest thing I have ever ridden through the mountains. If the speed limit was 35 I had to go 25 to keep it on the road in a curve riding two up. I sold it and triked my Gold Wing. What a difference!!!! Riding two up in the twisties I can out run anyone following me on a touring bike. I also feel like I am on a motorcycle and not a four wheeler and it gets better gas mileage. In fact it does everything better.

I hope the 2014 is a better machine.

From what I have read on SpyderLovers.com if you do have issues that are not a quick fix your on your own.

I want be spending any of my hard earned money on a Can Am product any time soon.

At 8,000 miles I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am with the Gold Wing Motor Trike.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png