Almost new to Trikes

pddgm

90+ Posts
May 15, 2014
Sunrise Beach, MO
I am getting ready (next week) to buy an 2002 Road Hawk trike. It has the 2235 cc engine and automatic tranny. Is there anything I should be looking hard at when doing my final inspection before purchase. It only has 19,000 miles on it and from the pics looks to be in excellent shape. I got it for considerably less than what the Trike Shop is asking for the same year. I am wondering if anyone knows what brand of disc brakes they used on the front and rear. I am hoping for a trouble free trike, I have suffered some shoulder damage and can't handle my Ultra Classic 2 up any longer. thanks and look forward to reading the responses..

smitty

One thing to check is crank shaft end play. On VW engines just grab the main crank shaft pulley that runs the alternator and push and pull it. If it doesn't move then the end play is good. If it bangs back and forth, walk away. That indicates that the rear main bearing which is the thrust bearing is shot. It will require a complete rebuild if it is loose.

Even though it only has 19,000 miles on it, it could still have been miss treated.

I am not sure what brand of disk brakes they use. Sorry I can't help you there.

Nice looking trike although I'm not sure "trouble free trike" and "VW trike" belong in the same sentence.:laugh: Just kidding, all of the vehicles I own are air cooled VW power. Keep the maintenance up and don't beat the crap out of 'em and they can last a long time.ThumbUp

I picked the trike up on Monday and rode it 150 miles to my sister's without any real problems. Never rode a trike before so each mile was a learning experience. Spent Tuesday getting it inspected and licensed and did a few more miles including a little interstate. Got up this morning and departed for our RV in Hot Springs, Ark. Was about 400 miles with 125 m/l of that being 2 lane scenic route. Didn't have any problems and the trike handled the curves surprisingly well. Still learning the ins and outs of trike riding, so didn't really push it to much in the curves. Rode most of the day in and out of showers and just beat a hard downpour when we got home by just a few minutes. Only part of me that got wet was my face and tops of my shoulders, the fairing on the front really cause the rain to blow around me. So other than a few minor issues that I will get fixed, carbs out of sync or just need adjusted, causing a throttle lag when accelerating and a gas gauge way out of calibration, show 1/4 when over 1/2 full. It was a good day and am looking forward to riding many miles on the trike.. :pepper:

I was born and raised in Dixon. Small world...

I was actually born and raised in St. Louis. I relocated here in '88. I've had family around here all my life and did a lot of growing up on my grandparent's farm near Vichy.

I'll be looking for you out there in the wind! ThumbUp

Well the adventure continues: Took the trike to the local import shop to get the lag in throttle diagnosed, and after finding the left side valves way out of adjustment and getting them and the right side adjusted. The mechanic can't really figure out why below 15-1800 rpm the front cylinder on the right side is not getting fuel, but as soon as the rpm's go up then it gets fuel. Thinks it is a vacuum leak or a leak around the throttle arm (weber 2 brls). Hope he gets it figured out, not a happy trike owner right now...LOL.. Any body had this problem, and if so what was the fix..

Joe

How was it determined that the cylinder was not getting fuel?

The way he explained it to me was, adjusting the carb at idle had no effect, removed one of the adjustment screws (can't remember which one) and there was no change in engine rpm's. Sprayed carb cleaner in the screw hole and the rpm's increased and engine smoothed out. Called me today and they found the intake gasket was bad and leaking, replaced it, adjusted the screws and the motor runs like a top. No lag in throttle on take off, and idles down at stops like it should. Hoping they got it fixed. Am going for a 300 mile ride on Sunday to see if it is truly fixed...

Joe

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png