loading and towing trike

Jul 21, 2012
Peary, Arkansas,USA
I have a 2012 Golding CSC Trike. I wanted to haul it to Virginia on a U-Hual trailer but they do not make one wide enough. I ended up buying a 7x12 Lark enclosed cargo trailer, single axle. The trike fits in nicely with room to move on both sides to tie down the trike. My basic question is should I load the trike with the front tire toward the front of the trailer. This would put most of the rear weight of the trike on the rear axles. Or should I back it in thus putting most of the weight on the hitch. I have a class 4 hitch on my truck.

Well I guess it would depend on the load weight on your trailer ?? What does the name plate say for weight.

I would suggest loading it backward so as to put weight on the trailer hitch. if there's not enough weight on the hitch the trailer will yaw behind the vehicle.

The GVWR is 2990 lbs. Weight of cargo should be no more than 1965 lbs. The max tongue weight is 750 lbs. I guess the best way to load the tike is back it in.

Trailer tongue weight should be 12.5 to 15 percent of total trailer and cargo weight. I suggest you load it forward then go have it weighed. Move the trike forward and see if you can get the desired hitch weight. I believe you will find by loading it backward that you will be putting too much load on the hitch. 2990 GVWR should yield no more then 448.5 pounds of weight on the hitch.

Play with it some. Most scale operators are willing to work with you when they understand what you are trying to do... :xszpv::xszpv:

I loaded my trike with the front forward. The rear of the trike was over the rear axle. Pulled the trailer to Northern Virginia through the Blue Ridge Mountains. I checked the tire pressure every time I stopped. The trailer did not sway even with the 18 wheelers passing me by or when I passed them going up the mountains. Although my gas mileage average about 13 miles per gallon. I need a trailer motorcycle ramp for my trike. I probable was at the max when I drove up the ramp on the trailer.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png