Broken rear shock

Feb 25, 2013
casper,wy. usa
When changing the oil on my trike I noticed an oil spot on the floor in place where there definitely should not be one.:Shrug:

I lifted up on the back of the trike and oil started running everywhere.
I thought I had blown a seal in a shock but when I took the body off the whole bottom of the shock had broke above where it mounts on the bracket.
( MY SHOCKS ARE ONLY 25 YEARS OLD, CHEAP JUNK):laugh:

I am blown away at the cost of a motorcycle shock, the cheapest I seen was a progressive with air at $300.00.My lord I seen shocks up over $1500.00 a pair?
:xzqxz: How is a shock absorber worth that kind of money?
For that matter how can a motorcycle shock be worth $300.00?

ThumbUp The mechanic that helped install my new engine had a set of OEM shocks off a newer Harley that he gave to me so I put them on.
H.D. dealer said my shocks were obsolete but I cant see any difference in the two.

I decided to freshen the paint on the body while I had it off.

I am going to put on the clear film from see through bras while have it off also.:clapping:
I tell you something the film looks thick and all pieces are laser cut for precision on my champion body, I think im going to enjoy the benefit to my fenders. The cool part is there are pieces for the foot wells and the part of the body from the seat to the fender pieces so I can expect a lot less damage from rocks, bugs and peoples stinking shoes scuffing paint.:mad:
I will let you know how it works out.

Hot%20Springs-Thermopolis,%20Wyoming%207-20-2013-A6.jpg

Your shocks lasted ONLY 25 years, unbelievable, should have gone at least 26.;)

But yah, prices are ridiculous. Shocks for my diesel truck are cheaper.

25 years? it figures as soon as the warranty runs out they break.
I just put progressive coils on mine last week under 200.00, I like them better than the air shocks

Progressives are really good...Ohlins, probably the best.......a Friend of mine just put a $2800 Fox Shock on His Mountain BICYCLE.....!!!!!...the "Top" of every Sport is pricey...Recreation costs....;)...ThumbUp

Not that it is a lot of help to you, unless you can find someone who does a similar thing in the USA... but i found a guy in Brisbane Australia who buys shocks for all types of bikes direct from the factories in Asia that actually make them. i bought a pair of brand new in box triumph shocks for $80. for my HD chopper. these shocks were the only ones i could find short enough to fit the bike low, and heavy enough sprung to stop the tyre hitting the guard.

Feel your pain PC,,,
Have a 58 Ford Red-Belly that needed a new Radiator this spring. Only 56 years and the danged thing laid down on me. But, did better than the Starter Solenoid. It only lasted 32.
Daggone American Junk for sure ;)

Don't know when you painted the Body but be sure it's been at least 60-90 days before you put the See-Thru on it so it's cured well first. Given your location and it has seen mostly the Garage so far this year since the "freshening", might give it 30 more once out in the Sun and elements to be sure.

25 years? it figures as soon as the warranty runs out they break.
I just put progressive coils on mine last week under 200.00, I like them better than the air shocks

It's interesting to hear you put coils on the trike, I rode an H.D. springer trike conversion while I was building mine and it rode so rough I could hardly stand it.
I offered to install air shocks and a raked stem on the front end but the owner hated it to bad to want to spend money on it.
It was a beautiful trike, I tried to buy it before I converted mine but his wife wouldn't sell it.
She turned around a few months later and traded it because she couldn't ride it,

- - - Updated - - -

Feel your pain PC,,,
Have a 58 Ford Red-Belly that needed a new Radiator this spring. Only 56 years and the danged thing laid down on me. But, did better than the Starter Solenoid. It only lasted 32.
Daggone American Junk for sure ;)

Don't know when you painted the Body but be sure it's been at least 60-90 days before you put the See-Thru on it so it's cured well first. Given your location and it has seen mostly the Garage so far this year since the "freshening", might give it 30 more once out in the Sun and elements to be sure.

Hah ha my friend, in 60 to 90 days I would have to refresh the paint on my fenders again. Vicious circle huh?:gah:

They get you coming or going, its amazing how cheap it is to buy some car parts. Yet because motorcycles are such small luxury market they charge an arm and a leg for parts.

Wherer to gt the shocks

Not that it is a lot of help to you, unless you can find someone who does a similar thing in the USA... but i found a guy in Brisbane Australia who buys shocks for all types of bikes direct from the factories in Asia that actually make them. i bought a pair of brand new in box triumph shocks for $80. for my HD chopper. these shocks were the only ones i could find short enough to fit the bike low, and heavy enough sprung to stop the tyre hitting the guard.

Please tell me where I can contact this company.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searcher

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searcher
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png