Checking for loose bolts

Jan 29, 2011
illinois
A day or so ago i noticed a rattle coming from the right side of my Tow-Pac equipped Vulcan. I did a check and didn't find anything loose. The rattle was intermittant; but got steadily worse. Today when I returned home from a short ride; I went over things again; and this time found the culprit. A bolt hidden under the right side saddlebag was loose and probably 3 or 4 turns from coming off. This bolt was out of sight under the bag and is holding a bracket that goes out to the right wheel and fender. Don't think it would have caused an accident; but might have torn up a fender or let it rub the tire if it had come loose.
Everything snugged down now and once again I am happy thaat I routinely check things and never ignore new rattles.

Got a friend with the bolt on the other end of that bracket breaking causing the fender to bounce up and down , he knows soon as it happens . I tore it down yesterday , drilled the bolt holes out to hold a bigger grade 8 bolt and told him if it happens again will were going to weld it ,,,tired of messing with it !!!!!!:AGGHH:

I'll be keeping a much closer eye on all bolts from now on. Last thing a guy needs is a bolt causing any problems on the road.

:qpnmt:I used to have a '77 HD that had a bolt in same location that like loosening. Often enough that I carried extra ones with me.
Once again the non-Harley companies have copied the HD. Probably not the best thing to copy.

I usually re-check all bolts,allen heads etc. when it is raining out and you can't go anywhere and you are bored staring at the walls. (which is atleast once a week here in Michigan). :Coffee: and by the way; after doing a 4 hour ride here in Michigan today, it felt like I did a 24 hour ride on the body! the roads here in this state are BADDDDD!!!
They will rattle your bones and make you feel like a very old person by the time you get home...........................:GL1800:

Kinda wonder why some of these bolts aren't a little longer and finished off with a cotter pin to keep the bolt from just dropping off if it get loose and isn't noticed......or further secured with a jam nut.

:AGGHH:,,,On the one I'm doing it's shearing the bolt , same one every time , to small I think . This time I bored the hole a little bigger and used grade 8 with a lock nut topped by a jam nut . If it breaks this time after tearing it down when I get through next time he'll have to cut it off . The thing is a lot of trouble and he doesn't know the difference between a monkey wrench and a hammer or is that what he wants me to think .:confused:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png