2000 softtail Leahman trike front end wobble

WallyRay

Aug 23, 2013
Cynthiana, KY.
Bought 2000 Softtail with Leahman kit, has wobble in front end at all speeds. Previous owner was told by installing dealer this was normal for trikes, it has a stabilizer on front but no easy steer kit. You don't dare let go of bars at any speed the wobble is so violent I thought I broken two fingers trying to grab the bars. I have remounted the stabilizer, played with tire pressures, checked front and rear tire runout. Was wondering if easy steer kit would help? Anybody have any ideas? Unit only has 11,000 miles on it.:Shrug:

Sometimes there is just no substitute for nominal trail specs, and yours seems to be one of the trikes that exemplify that. With its stock rake of 34 degrees the need for trail correction will manifest itself just as you have described. Sometimes I make assumptions, so if you aren't familiar with trail a bit of searching within this forum will bring you up to speed. Reducing the trail measurement is exactly what the 'raked triple trees', or 'EZ Steer kits', or similar solutions are directed toward.

If you plan to stick with the trike for the foreseeable future, invest in a good raked triple trees kit. They can be a do-it-yourself one afternoon project if you are mechanically inclined. For your softtail my personal opinion would be 4-1/2 to 6 degree trees, although a professional supplier (i.e., Randy, aka Bazooka on this forum - highly recommended) could be more specific with you.

One more fix you might try before you pop the bucks for the steering kit is to tighten your current forks' stem nut a bit, or at a minimum make sure it is up to the maximum recommended specs. That is a critical point for trike steering and if even slightly loose (or not tight to specs) can be the culprit to exactly the behavior you describe.

Good luck, I feel quite certain that with a little tweaking in this area you can stop your wobbles, and the trike will become your best friend.

Thanks for the info, very helpful. Love the trike, can't see me going back to two wheels. As soon as I can save up the money I will buy a good set of trees.:)

Sometimes there is just no substitute for nominal trail specs, and yours seems to be one of the trikes that exemplify that. With its stock rake of 34 degrees the need for trail correction will manifest itself just as you have described. Sometimes I make assumptions, so if you aren't familiar with trail a bit of searching within this forum will bring you up to speed. Reducing the trail measurement is exactly what the 'raked triple trees', or 'EZ Steer kits', or similar solutions are directed toward.

If you plan to stick with the trike for the foreseeable future, invest in a good raked triple trees kit. They can be a do-it-yourself one afternoon project if you are mechanically inclined. For your softtail my personal opinion would be 4-1/2 to 6 degree trees, although a professional supplier (i.e., Randy, aka Bazooka on this forum - highly recommended) could be more specific with you.

One more fix you might try before you pop the bucks for the steering kit is to tighten your current forks' stem nut a bit, or at a minimum make sure it is up to the maximum recommended specs. That is a critical point for trike steering and if even slightly loose (or not tight to specs) can be the culprit to exactly the behavior you describe.

Good luck, I feel quite certain that with a little tweaking in this area you can stop your wobbles, and the trike will become your best friend.

:Agree:
Also if your a do it yourself kind of guy I will let you in on a little secret, The raked triple tree comes with new bearings and races in the frame neck.
These races can be a bear to remove. (especially the bottom) If you can put a small tack weld on the old race it will fall out of the neck with a single tap, also it gives you a surface to tap on. beats trying to gouge a surface above the race.

Thanks for the info, very helpful. Love the trike, can't see me going back to two wheels. As soon as I can save up the money I will buy a good set of trees.:)

check with zook, I bought mine from him at about half the price of the others and they are damn nice trees.ThumbUp

here something for you to check out, google--pcombe library/photobucket

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png