Trike to buy?

Reaction score
Was wondering reasons why people bought the conversions they did. I have looked at Champion, CSC and RoadSmith. Is it better to buy one that is also a Honda Dealer if you are buying a new or used Goldwing at the same time? Thanks for your help.

I,,,, wouldn't say so. I can think of three trike dealers that I would have no problems doing business with. From what I've seen and I could be wrong, I'd imagine that you would be paying a premium buying a trike from a Honda dealer. Now with that said, although I had no issues with my trike after I bought her, I did bring her to my trusted Honda dealer for a front to back inspection. She passed with no issues.

My point is that I'd rather go with a trike dealer that has a good reputation and deals with performing trike conversions on a continual basis.

Just because they are a Honda dealer does not mean they build a better trike. They can pick any brand of trike to build, none are sanctioned by Honda. I would think the opposite. I would go to a trike installer. As anything else you do it over and over you get better. I would look for an installer that someone said was good or they were happy with. Also one that does your brand bike
( If he does more Harley's than Honda and you have a Honda I would look for one that does more Hondas)

I agree with John... Look for a business that specializes in building trike conversions. Dealers do it as a sideline oftentimes with their employees "doing it when they have time". When I first decided to buy into the three wheel thing I picked a guy in Louisville who installs all brands and know them inside out. He has proven to me that he knows his business and the 2 different kits that I have owned, CSC and Hannigan, both have spoken highly of him.

Go with the kit that you feel comfortable with. One that you like the styling and the ride. The key is the installer, that is for sure. Check with folks who used the company.

Good hunting. I'm sure you will love whatever model you decide to get.

The Honda dealers here don't even carry Goldwings. Like all other businesses there good and bad just have to find the rite one. RIDE SAFE

Kansas, bad state for trike installers sorry. Your best bet for a quality installer that should have demo trikes is:

GENE’S GALLERY INC.

Trikes Sidecars Trailers
3230 E. Chestnut Expressway
Springfield, MO 65802
Greg McNabb
800-728-4363
gregg@cland.ne
http://www.genesgallery.com

Located in Springfield, Missouri - They do Championn & Hannigan I believe, not sure on Roadsmith though, but a phone call will tell you.

Last edited:
Read a lot here at TRIKE TALK.com ....Lots of testimonials from Trike Owners giving various Pros and Cons about various Trike Dealers. There are some really good Honda Dealer/Trike Builders, as well as really good "Trike Only" Builders......Bazooka/Randy here at TRIKE TALK.com is a Great Guy to start Your search with..."Mr. Trike Guru".....ThumbUp:10:

From your location I would check with Russellville Honda in Russellville, Ar. Horizon Trikes just north of there builds their trikes. They always have a large selection of new and preowned units to choose from.

From my experience, I would chose one as close as possible, yet reputable. IF anything goes wrong, you won't have to make long, overnight trips to get it fixed like we had to. Also, talk to others that have had work done there and make sure they'll do it right the first time. Try to get to know who exactly will be working on your trike as you will be trusting your safety to this person to tighten every bolt. Missouri Charley is probably steering you in the right direction.

Was wondering reasons why people bought the conversions they did. I have looked at Champion, CSC and RoadSmith. Is it better to buy one that is also a Honda Dealer if you are buying a new or used Goldwing at the same time? Thanks for your help.

I recently purchased a new 2013 Goldwing Hannigan Gen II Trike from a Honda dealer. In addition to the Hannigan, I test rode a 2014 Goldwing Road Smith, and my wife has a 2010 Goldwing Motor Trike. In my opinion, the Hannigan performed better than both the Road Smith and Motor Trike. The wider Hannigan trike also has generous trunk space, and the floor boards were more solid than the Road Smith I test rode. Then there are little things like closing the Hannigan trunk - like closing a door on a luxury car - solid.

I haven't looked at a Hannigan yet. Saw a picture of the rear of one at Russellville web site but didn't care for the backend. I saw on Hannigan site that they didn't look like that though. I want to check out all trikes. Thanks for your input.

I just purchased a MotorTrike Razor. I bought it, well, because all the other trikes look the same to me.

I looked at a GenII Hannigan... not for me.

I just purchased a MotorTrike Razor. I bought it, well, because all the other trikes look the same to me.

I looked at a GenII Hannigan... not for me.

I agree, the Motor Trike Razor is sharp looking (no pun intended). If I hadn't been so impressed with the ride of the Hannigan Gen II, I would have gone with the Motor Trike Razor. No bad decision with these two products. At the end of the day, its a matter of personal likes and dislikes.

I also chose by looks and picked a motor trike gladiator (also for the IRS )
at the rally in eureka springs I saw a v star with a CSC kit on it . Too bad I didn't see it sooner. long and lean looking. truly a hard choice to make. good luck.

I have been wondering what kind of service I would get at local Honda dealer if I had a problem with Goldwing or especially with trike. They sell Champion but don't have a new Goldwing and didn't seem to be able to get the new one I was interested in. Russellville would be about 600 miles round trip. I had bought my Voyager XII from closest dealer about 160 miles round trip and had quite a few minor and a few major problems during warranty period.

:) Bought my Mototrike from Island trikes in Oregonabout 120 miles from my home. Had never ridden a trike before but did my research and found nothing but glowing reports on Steve Loynachan the owner installer at Island trikes. Been oiver a year now and no problems at all with the install or the kit.

I recently purchased a new 2013 Goldwing Hannigan Gen II Trike from a Honda dealer. In addition to the Hannigan, I test rode a 2014 Goldwing Road Smith, and my wife has a 2010 Goldwing Motor Trike. In my opinion, the Hannigan performed better than both the Road Smith and Motor Trike. The wider Hannigan trike also has generous trunk space, and the floor boards were more solid than the Road Smith I test rode. Then there are little things like closing the Hannigan trunk - like closing a door on a luxury car - solid.

You brought up some good point's on the Hannigan, on both of our Hannigan's I removed the foot pegs and just use the floor boards. With the pegs removed you can move your feet around going down the road and keep comfortable on long trips. Also the Hannigan retains the Honda drive shaft in a straight line from transmission to the differential, no vibrations and no problem's.

I personally am not familiar with the area in which you live but if it were me i would agree with all the above remarks and find yourself a good , well known trike builder who will build you the trike you are dreaming of. I think the travel distance should be your second thought because if your trike is built well the first time you won't have to go back for maintenance and can get your regular service problems at your local dealer. I personally think you should look at trikes that are already built as all you have to do then is get on it and ride it and not worry about where you are going to have it built. Now, if you now own a low mileage bike and want to get it triked you have more options open to you as now you can pick and choose what kit you want installed. all the kits out there are good ones so do not worry about that just look at as many as you can and make your choice which is fun in itself. Good Luck and remember , just have fun and ride safe.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png