The Tire Thread / Answers Questions / Gives Options / Use at your own risk.FYI - ONLY

Re: The Tire Thread / Answers Questions / Gives Options / Use at your own risk.FYI -

Ok, I answered my own question, I went to the Dynabeads site and they have a handy dandy tire chart that tells you how much. On my Roadsmith trike 4 oz rear and 2 oz front.

Re: The Tire Thread / Answers Questions / Gives Options / Use at your own risk.FYI -

I have just installed a Michelin Commander on my trike and would like to know what the break in process is for this tire. Thanks, Bud.

Well I'm confused, if its for the GL1500 in the Avatar that should be a 160/80X16 size and they do not make the Commander II in that size / now they do make it in a 150/80X16 which is slightly slimer. They do show to be Bias Ply and in that size its a Rear Tire for your front. I've never used that tire so I guess you will be our tester... I'd run it just like the Pilot Activ at 40 - 41 PSI and keep us informed about mileage....

Guess you'll be able to tell us how they work on the front of the GL 1500.... Keep us informed.... :clapping:

Last edited:

Thank you Bob, very informative. I am having my conversion done as we speak and since I am a newbee to trikes did not know about replacing the front tire with a rear for better performance. I am going to replace my stock front with the Michelin. Since we are on the conversation of tires, when I choose my Motor Trike kit there was an option for the rear to upgrade from 15" to 17". I called MT and they said it is just a matter of preferance/apperance that it will not effect performance. Any opinions on this? Thank you.

Depending on tire profile used by MT the 15" may be easier to work with and clear the fenders easier. Most companies that offer different sizes of rims make up the changes in profile by height so the 17" wheels will use low profile tires I bet to keep the speedo near correct.... Just FYI

:Coffee:

Good info. thx.

97 wing with B-stone G-709, 8 k miles and worn to wear bar. Don't use.

Sy Brule

Bridgestone rear tires wore out in 8k?
If it is on the font , than read about rear tire mounted on front in different section of this forum.

PO put 17" on rear of 2003 GW/Roadsmith. Not raked, no Super Brace. I get lots of headshake when weight is shifted during shifting & decelerating. It's new to me so I'm still getting used to this trike. Should I look towards rake kit, Super Brace, or play with the rear tire pressure? Or, "I" might need more miles on it 1st to get more experience? I've tried 24 to 28 lbs so far.
Thanks, Ron

This is probably elementary to you guys, but my Honda trike has a bias tire in the steer and radials on the rear. Why is that? Also does a rake make steer tires last longer of do I need one? I was told it makes big difference in handling and stops low speed shimmy.

Your drive tires can be radials, but your front tire should be a Bias Ply Rear Sportbike tire in the correct size for your front tire. The stock radial bike tires were made for a leaning bike to stay in the middle of the tire, and radials tend to roll on their sides when used with a raked non- leaning trike. The bias tire will have almost twice the amount of rubber in a wider center tire area, and the Bias tire has a stronger sidewall and won't roll in turns. Most trike guys like the MPA Michelin Pilot Activ or the BT45 Bridgestone Battleax ... if you have a non raked trike they are harder to steer as you steer a trike not lean, adding a EZ Steer or rake kit 4.5 to 6 degrees will give you power steering, and takes a bit to change-over to but your arms will thank you if riding twisty roads...

Got some Q's need some A's I have a '96 GL1500A w/Motor Trike conversion. My rear tires are BF Goodrich Radial T/A P225/60 R15 95S M+S and are in good shape. My front tire is a Dunlop 130/70 B18 63H with only 2/32nds tread left. I want to replace it with an Avon Cobra AV71 130/70 R18.These tires came with my purchase. Am I climbing the wrong tree? Thanks for your input.

Got some Q's need some A's I have a '96 GL1500A w/Motor Trike conversion. My rear tires are BF Goodrich Radial T/A P225/60 R15 95S M+S and are in good shape. My front tire is a Dunlop 130/70 B18 63H with only 2/32nds tread left. I want to replace it with an Avon Cobra AV71 130/70 R18.These tires came with my purchase. Am I climbing the wrong tree? Thanks for your input.

You are on the right track IMO. I will get the Avon when my B.S. is done.

STATES: COBRA TRIKE on the tire....

Just make sure you are buying the correct tire for a TRIKE.. this WILL be a Radial Tire #90000020646 (Do Not Mount Reverse)
I have no experience with this tire yet but will change to it next time if everyone claims show good results....

Avon Front Cobra Trike AV71 130/70R-18 Blackwall Tire - 90000020646

Overview of Avon Front Cobra Trike AV71 130/70R-18 Blackwall Tire - 90000020646

Specially designed for Trikes, the new Avon Cobra Trike is the perfect choice for this increasingly popular, easy to handle, three-wheel motorcycle option. Made with the exceptional technology that has gone into the development of the other Cobra products in the line, the new Cobra Trike tire offers a flatter lean profile for longer wear, better handling and stability.
  • Advanced Variable Belt Density (A-VBD) construction uses a densely wrapped belt in the center of the tire for stability, wear and mileage
  • Belt is less dense on shoulder for a huge, compliant contact patch
  • Lifetime Profile Engineering (LPE) for consistent handling and stability for the life of the tire
  • Enhanced Aqua Flow (EAF) tread pattern for optimal water dispersal
  • Enhanced Stability System (ESS) design reduces tire flex for improved grip and stability

Attachments

• 03010566.jpg
    03010566.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 217
No Changes I see...

This is from the AVON NORTH AMERICA site and I see only (2) two changes and that is the addition of Free Road Hazard Warranty and adding 15,000 miles Mileage warranty... Tire numbers are all the same.... Make sure to copy this for warranty situations.. Here's a copy and paste....:

Cobra Trike

Style and performance for cruisers, customs and tourers

dual_warranty.png

• Road Hazard Warranty included
  • 15,000 Mile Warranty included
  • Specifically designed for the GL1800 front trike
  • Flatter profile to resist the scrubbing off effect normally seen on front tires
  • Bigger blocks of rubber to resist irregular wear
  • Sidewall has “Trike” emblazoned on it to differentiate from regular motorcycle tires
  • Special construction to deal with heavy loads

Cobra Trike Front

AV Model

Tire Size

Service Index

Rec Rim

Rim Min-Max

OW mm

OW Inches

OD mm

OD Inches

Depth mm

Revs per km

Revs per Mile

Shop Now!

AV71

130/70R18

63V

MT3.50

3.50 - 4.00

Your drive tires can be radials, but your front tire should be a Bias Ply Rear Sportbike tire in the correct size for your front tire. The stock radial bike tires were made for a leaning bike to stay in the middle of the tire, and radials tend to roll on their sides when used with a raked non- leaning trike. The bias tire will have almost twice the amount of rubber in a wider center tire area, and the Bias tire has a stronger sidewall and won't roll in turns. Most trike guys like the MPA Michelin Pilot Activ or the BT45 Bridgestone Battleax ... if you have a non raked trike they are harder to steer as you steer a trike not lean, adding a EZ Steer or rake kit 4.5 to 6 degrees will give you power steering, and takes a bit to change-over to but your arms will thank you if riding twisty roads...

Solidbob, I just triked a "98 Valkyrie that had recently new tires. The front tire is a Dunlap 150/80/R17 72H. There is a 6 degree raked tree on it. I have pushed the trike pretty hard through a couple of corners. At least what I felt was hard :D. I get what you are saying about leaning a bike vs driving a trike through the corners, so, the questions is, until such time that the front tire needs replaced how agressive should I be in the corners?

Or, would it be best to lay back a little?

Also, it appears that when it is time to replace the front rubber it will have to be bias ply. Should they run in a certain direction?

I also have Valkyrie Trike.

I use a Dunlop 404 130/90-17 bias rear on the front in a reverse rotation.

It has 16,400 on so far, and it still passes the “Penny Test”.

Front tire throws off the speedo

I have a 2000 Valkyrie I/S with a Motor Trike kit on it. It has a MPA 150/70/17 rear tire on the front, and it throws my speedometer off by 4-5 miles. Is there anything I can do to get closer to the correct speed. Right now, when I am showing 70 on the speedometer, I am actually only doing about 65-66(according to my gps).

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png