The Tire Thread / Answers Questions / Gives Options / Use at your own risk.FYI - ONLY

Solidbob

Apr 8, 2011
Tx
The Tire Thread / Answers Questions / Gives Options / Use at your own risk.FYI - ONLY

As I had another day with my foot up I thought to make use of it with a little computer time , so here is what I have found on tires...

Below is a List of Bias Ply Rear Tires available in 130 / 70H X 18 to fit the front of a GL1800 Trike - these are listed in no certain order but with correct tire spec numbers as I just typed:

Pirelli Sport Demon - 130 / 70H X 18 - Bias Ply Rear Tire

Michelin Pilot Activ - 130 / 70H X 18 - Bias Ply Rear Tire

Bridgestone BT45H Sport - 130 / 70H X 18 - Bias Ply Rear Tire

Kenda K671 Cruiser ST - 130 / 70H X 18 - Bias Ply Rear Tire

Metzler Lazertec Sport - 130 / 70H X 18 - Bias Ply Rear Tire

Contiental Conti Go - 130 / 70H X 18 - Bias Ply Rear Tire

IRC RX - 01 Road Winner - 130 / 70H X 18 - Bias Ply Rear Tire

Avon AM 26 - 130 / 70V X 18 - Bias Ply Rear Tire

Pirelli Night Dragon - 130 / 70B x 18 - Bias Ply Front Tire (also avail as a Radial 130 / 70R x 18)

Contiental Milestone - 130 / 70B X 18 - Bias Ply Front Tire (also avail as a WhiteWall 130 / 70BWW X 18)

Now for you BT45 Bridgestone guys & gals on the Bridgestone site if you want a Front Radial in 130 / 70 X 18 they show (2) tires available for that size the G851 and the G709 no BT45 is listed as a Radial / All BT45 tires on the Bridgestone site are shown as Bias Ply Rear Tires in this size.

I have also posted the Tire Designation Chart:

There are about 10 different Radial Tires available in 130 / 70R X 18, nearly all Bias Ply Tires use the H (Designation) now for Bias Ply

I have tried to verify all information by checking numerous sites to verify, not just taking one sites word for it...

remember when you are ordering tires be specific and direct with what you want, tell them Bias Ply or Radial and give them the correct number not just tell them to put a tire on like what you have. It's your money, use it wisely!! I know of no bike shop that will not mount a tire that you bought elsewhere ( Motorcycle Superstore, Bike Bandit, Revzilla, Etc) they may charge a little more but they are working for you, if you want it mounted Reversed they are not liable (BS) these are mostly Bias Ply tires and they will go either direction. For those of you that are old enough to remember nearly all automotive tires years ago where Bias Ply construction and when you got a rotation it was mix & match not front RH to rear RH that only started when automotive tires started going to radial construction. Now Radial tires are fronts & rears and only go on in tire arrow direction, you reverse them and you will get even less mileage and possibly unravel the bonded directional tread... if you can't read down this far then you didn't get all the information. I'm not hear to preach, that occurs on that other board, just providing mfgr. information. I hope you find it of some use, print it and save it for later.... JUST FYI.....

Bob

Attachments

• img_option_01.gif
    img_option_01.gif
    28.6 KB · Views: 734
Re: The Tire Thread / Answers Questions / Gives Options / Use at your own risk.FYI -

Nice job, Solidbob. Thank you as I for one really appreciate your efforts. :pepper:

Re: The Tire Thread / Answers Questions / Gives Options / Use at your own risk.FYI -

Great Research Solidbob .....Very Informative...Thanks for the Contribution.....ThumbUp

- - - Updated - - -

Pinned This Thread.....ThumbUp

Thanks guys... hope some will find it useful..... tends to get lost in the stack... a Sticky will keep it current!!

Can you now find $$$$ for them?

Nope, purchasing was my old job..... consultant is my new one - and Retired is even better !!!

WOW Bob, that is a bunch of research. Great information!!! Thanks..

Hopefully it will save lots of folks time when they go looking.... :xszpv: :xszpv:

That was the idea...enjoy!!

Thank you Bob, very informative. I am having my conversion done as we speak and since I am a newbee to trikes did not know about replacing the front tire with a rear for better performance. I am going to replace my stock front with the Michelin. Since we are on the conversation of tires, when I choose my Motor Trike kit there was an option for the rear to upgrade from 15" to 17". I called MT and they said it is just a matter of preferance/apperance that it will not effect performance. Any opinions on this? Thank you.

Some folks like larger mags instead of smaller, the question to really ask is which wheels allow for the correct speedometer reading? I would imagine the rear end gearing is not changed, but they may try to get it close by changing tire size & ratio... I would opt for the one that gets me the best speedo reading.... looks just won't keep you from getting a ticket possibly!!

:Coffee:

I have checked my speed with the police speed check buggy, they set out to warn you of your speed. How good are they, don't know but the trike speedo is close to it.

Rosy

I have checked my speed with the police speed check buggy, they set out to warn you of your speed. How good are they, don't know but the trike speedo is close to it.

Rosy

My Gold Wing 1800 Motor Trike was 2 mph fast by Police Radar....when They showed 70, I showed 72.....my last 2008 Gold Wing 1800 2-Wheeler was "spot-on"......I assume the Ford Rear End Ratio used in the Conversion was the difference......;)ThumbUp

Ok my car came with 16" tires .I switched to 17 for winter tires. And 18" for summer. The outside diameter is the same on all the tires. The profile is different. So the speedometer will not change. The ride will not be as good with the larger rim size. But it will look cool.

As long as the combined diameter of your tire matches what came on the car, truck, bike, trike with the use of speed sensors your speedo will be correct within a very small window... :clapping:

Thanks Solidbob...now I owe you twice: Once for good info on my Champion rear brake pads and now for the tire info.

I've seen posts about using dyna beads in the front tire, but I haven't been able to pin down many ounces to install in the tire, I may try them when I install the MPA on my new trike when I get it back from the dealer.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png