Leading link forks,175x15inch car tyre & wheel

trikerAL

Nov 8, 2011
Manchester,united kingdom
After having steering,braking and 2 close to wreck experiences last year it was decided to improve handling etc.
Wasp motorcycles here in the UK came to the rescue after giving them measurements they built this set up and what a difference.
Steering with one hand,excellent braking with R1 calipers and lots of traction from 175 x 15" car tyre.
Towing teardrop trailer is now a very safe expierience ...

I've seen that design on other trikes and like it . I can see how it would handle better ,, nice .ThumbUp ThumbUp ThumbUp

Could you please describe benefits versus typical modified and raked front forks on most trikes?

I am most interested in hard twisty riding and speeds up to 80 mph.

Also, what was the cost to convert?

Thanks

hi al

looks great on your trike and I can imagine that it controls the trike much better any info on wheel hub etc?

inquiring minds like mine are interested ...

magoo

Re: Leading link forks,175x15inch car tyre & wheel

Could you please describe benefits versus typical modified and raked front forks on most trikes?

Thanks

Leading link forks work similar to a swinging arm so there's no dive under braking.Front wheel is further forward making steering lighter,so less pressure is needed to turn handlebars.

Car tyre gives lots more traction,handling in the twisties is much improved and controlled.

Price is in english pounds.

Leading link forks £1000

Shocks £300

Front wheel £600

Car tyre £100

Stainless fittings £100

Total £2100

- - - Updated - - -

hi al

looks great on your trike and I can imagine that it controls the trike much better any info on wheel hub etc?

inquiring minds like mine are interested ...

magoo

Front wheel is machined out of 3 pieces of aluminium bolted together complete with wheel bearings and spindle.

Speedo drive and discs were used off original wheel.

Original yokes are used,leading link forks just slide straight in.

Hope this info is useful....

AL

Thanks

in general i find a leading link has less flex than a regular set of forks with a raked tree... with the huge tubes and sliders as of late this is less of an issue than when i built my 1st LL, with the LL you have the "link" that ties the two sides together so there is next to no flex... remember back in the day you could straddle the front wheel and move the bars a bit?? then we added a fork brace which helped but still there was a little flex... this all relates to a better feel and a little better response,,, the other thing that is nice about the LL, depending how its made it is very easy to change the trail once installed, cant do that with trees. with the exceptions.. harley made them for 2 wheel or sidecar rigs either or... there used to be some, maybe made by ness?, that were adjustable yrs ago they were well over $1000 and only for hd.... if you look at the rear of the swing arm you will see a little cylinder... that is an eccentric for adjusting the trail maybe an inch or so..

others may be mounted a little different like this on we did for a vulcan, you can see 3 sets of holes at the pivot

Attachments

• P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 1,440
Back in the day when BMW had a sidecar division their LL Earles type front end had two different positions so you could adjust it as needed. That was all eliminated with the model change in 1970 and /5 series.

Hedingham Sidecars also has an LL fork that fits into your original Goldwing trees, for 1285 pounds +186 pounds shipping. I had just asked them about this and they sent me this information in an email'

This looks like something the trikes could use a lot better than the current front suspension, not just changing the front tire. I believe if this came in kit form it would sell.

Leading link forks work similar to a swinging arm so there's no dive under braking.Front wheel is further forward making steering lighter,so less pressure is needed to turn handlebars.
Car tyre gives lots more traction,handling in the twisties is much improved and controlled.
Price is in english pounds.
Leading link forks £1000
Shocks £300
Front wheel £600
Car tyre £100
Stainless fittings £100
Total £2100

- - - Updated - - -
What about the fender? Price & availability.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png