Skid plate for 2005 GL1800

Reaction score
For the second time (slow learner) when backing down the ramp of my toy hauler I bottomed out because of to much ramp angle and cracked the radiator overflow. Is there a skid plate on the market to protect the overflow? Thanks in advance for your help.
skipg

There is and a lot of people here have them. They are available from a lot of places WING STUFF .com being one of them. Most I have seen come in two pcs. RIDE SAFE

In reading the reviews, it may be that the belly pan may not fit if you have running boards with the trike conversion.

Let us know. This is a great idea.

In reading the reviews, it may be that the belly pan may not fit if you have running boards with the trike conversion.

Let us know. This is a great idea.

I had a belly pan on my '06 before conversion and was able to keep it in place. Don't know if all conversion kits will but I expect that is the case. That little piece of aluminum has saved a lot of us from walking.... :xszpv: :xszpv:

I had a belly pan on my '06 before conversion and was able to keep it in place. Don't know if all conversion kits will but I expect that is the case. That little piece of aluminum has saved a lot of us from walking.... :xszpv: :xszpv:

Ditto on my 05. ThumbUp

Thanks all for your replays. I checked out WingStuff and there are four options. I have another's question. Will the plate affect the air flow cooling affect, and how much does the pan affect clearance.
Thanks Again
Skip

Skip,

All I can tell you is from what I've heard others who also have belly pans mention. They do not effect or diminish cooling. At least there's no noticeable difference. As far as clearance goes, most if not all belly pans are just about flush with the bike's undercarriage so again there's no negative effect as per reduced bottom clearance.

If the above descriptions are incorrect (which I doubt), I'm sure others will offer additional info. ;)

Skip,

All I can tell you is from what I've heard others who also have belly pans mention. They do not effect or diminish cooling. At least there's no noticeable difference. As far as clearance goes, most if not all belly pans are just about flush with the bike's undercarriage so again there's no negative effect as per reduced bottom clearance.

If the above descriptions are incorrect (which I doubt), I'm sure others will offer additional info. ;)

:Agree:Doesn't seem to bother the cooling one bit. I installed a belly pan the day I took delivery of my 2012 GL1800, I bought a louvered one from Wingstuff.

Thanks all for your replays. I checked out WingStuff and there are four options. I have another's question. Will the plate affect the air flow cooling affect, and how much does the pan affect clearance.
Thanks Again
Skip
The belly pan will hold a small amount of heat but not enough to be noticeable. When installed it fits up against the bottom of the motor so ground clearance won't be affected. As stated above get the 2 piece belly pan, makes oil changes much easier.

According to your profile you have a Roadsmith. I have a Roadsmith and the belly pan(s) will work with the running boards.

One caution. If you lift the trike underneath the engine then I would not recommend the louvered belly pan and you can bend the louvers. I have a two-piece flat belly pan that works well.

According to your profile you have a Roadsmith. I have a Roadsmith and the belly pan(s) will work with the running boards.

One caution. If you lift the trike underneath the engine then I would not recommend the louvered belly pan and you can bend the louvers. I have a two-piece flat belly pan that works well.

I looked under the trike and it looks like the exhaust pipe is lower than the radiator overflow is that how your trike looks if not would the skid plate still fit?

I backed out of my shed last Thursday & snagged the over flow tank on my goldwing. It's at the shop now to have a new one put on. I'm putting a skid plate on for sure.

For the second time (slow learner) when backing down the ramp of my toy hauler I bottomed out because of to much ramp angle and cracked the radiator overflow. Is there a skid plate on the market to protect the overflow? Thanks in advance for your help.
skipg

I put one on My 2008 with a Chapion kit with accent boards and I have already, saved My overflow tank, My friend Goldrush suggested it and it has worked for Me.

I am really loving riding My trike.

Phil Palmer

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png