Camping or Not

Oct 10, 2013
Harrison,Ohio
Just curious how many trikers out there are camping during the road trips? Tent or tent/trailer type. Or are you mixing it up, camp, motel/hotel? Pro and Cons? I would think money wise its gotta be a savings going camping vs motels? Just wondering!!!

Long term, I hope to do more camping.
Camping at state parks if fairly reasonable in Kansas.
Right now it is strictly motels on the road and that is
expensive from my point of view.

PS any trip thru the great plains should include
the money for emergency stay at a motel.
Summer thunder storms are not a time you
want to be outside in a tent.

We camp as much as we can.I got A camper 2 years ago.We like it better than a tent.I keep everything in it but close and food,it folds out fast and the bed is up off the ground. If we are traveling late in the evening then we stop at a motel.I like my own bed better than a motel.

We have a trailer, but just purchased a rack that inserts into the trailer hitch and are going to try that out. Waiting on the tail lights to get here so I can get them installed. Darn thing is four foot wide and nineteen inches across, which is more than enough for anything we'd want to carry. Since pulling trailer wrecked my truck by going insane behind me I'm a little leary of them.

We mix it up. If it is just the wife and I we take the Timeout and do mostly camping. We try not to push the days as we ride for enjoyment. We stop in time to get set up and have even got up the next morning and said lets just spend the day and rest (that'll cost you in a motel). Wife has a senior pass so camping at most parks ain't too bad, much less than a motel. In short we love to camp and do as often as possible.

Just curious how many trikers out there are camping during the road trips? Tent or tent/trailer type. Or are you mixing it up, camp, motel/hotel? Pro and Cons? I would think money wise its gotta be a savings going camping vs motels? Just wondering!!!

Hi from SlickRick

I camp at the state parks(WI). They are beautiful, cheap and plentiful. I get an annual sticker for the trike and I can go to any of them anytime. IF you like camping that is the way to go some people do not.

Have fun. :GL1800:

We used to camp a lot more that we do now. We still camp with our pop-up tent trailer when we are going to be in one location for a couple of days or more. But if we are moving on to a different location each day, we "motel camp". lol

Even with the pop up tent camping, we usually can find a nice campground that has hot showers, electricity in the bathrooms for a reasonable price.

We stopped tent camping on the ground about 10 years ago...bones are too creaky. lol

These three pics are from a camping trip we were on about 5 years ago...one of our most enjoyable long weekends ever.

ea2d0913-ee39-446a-a7f7-e8bbcd31c554_zps4ae593c6.jpg

This pic was the view we had when coming out of the trailer in the morning.

9be52632-e231-46f6-b897-7f3db67d3de2_zps013119c8.jpg

Different campground, same trip-

Indiana2010b_zps52a8e0e0.jpg

My wife and I are CMA members and used to attend quite a few rallies and camp as part of ministry efforts. Tent, air matress, sleeping bags, etc. It always seemed to be 105 degrees and HUMID or rained. Neither of us enjoyed the camping... I asked in another thread about a camping trailer that could do a/c because a/c would make camping a LOT more palatable here in the summer (our summer lasts from Nov till Mar some years. A small generator would be needed I guess so things are starting to get complicated... then we would have to find a place with BATHROOMS/SHOWERS as neither of us is keen on roughing without. I think we will stay with motel rooms although they are getting expensive regardless of where you ride.

My wife and I are CMA members and used to attend quite a few rallies and camp as part of ministry efforts. Tent, air matress, sleeping bags, etc. It always seemed to be 105 degrees and HUMID or rained. Neither of us enjoyed the camping... I asked in another thread about a camping trailer that could do a/c because a/c would make camping a LOT more palatable here in the summer (our summer lasts from Nov till Mar some years. A small generator would be needed I guess so things are starting to get complicated... then we would have to find a place with BATHROOMS/SHOWERS as neither of us is keen on roughing without. I think we will stay with motel rooms although they are getting expensive regardless of where you ride.

When camping we carry a deep cycle battery and a 12v camping fan. However, it is fairly easy to carry a small generator and small A/C unit. We have several friends that do that.

Also there are portable hot showers that I am seeing more and more at rallies. A google search for portable camping shower system will turn up some options.

We combine both our loves, camping and riding the trike, with a seasonal camp site in the Catskills and a trailer and occasionally take the trike which we are doing this weekend. We try and stock up with food and drinks when we have the car and not have to worry about it with the trike so we only have to take a few things with us. There are plenty of back roads to explore up there.

Next week will be the first time with the trike and hotels, actually a bed and breakfast during the Northeast trike rally. We are learning how to pack efficiently and not to over pack with stuff we don't need. Right now we use the lower trunk, the upper trunk and a rack bag. I would like to take a weekend now and then with the trike and stay at a motel or bed and breakfast, so this will be good practice....

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searcher

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searcher
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png