2004 GL1800 with 2004 CSC Cobra trike kit

Reaction score
I sometimes get a faint vibration that feels like it is coming from under the trike whenever I run above 65 mph. I also noticed a slight bit of grease slag in the areas surrounding the rear drive shaft joint. Nothing fresh or ongoing, but thought I would mention it. I don't know if it is the newer style drive shaft or the original because I don't have a visual reference for comparison, but I do have a photo or 2 of the drive shaft. How do I tell if I have the newer style shaft or the original? Is a slight amount of grease letting normal? Not sure I know how to post a photo here, but will try. BTW, it only has 25k miles on it.

You have the older one. I have a 2005 it's just like yours. Be sure the bolts are tight. I had 5,000 miles on mine and all the bolts broke and were stuck in rear drive. Had a dealer get them out. Dealer contacted CSC. They said they had never seen this happen before. Trike was put together in Texas. Utah dealer believes the bolts were never tighten by the builder in Texas. I have always taken it easy on my trike, so it it wasn't caused by missus.

CSC wouldn't cover it. Never did contact the install dealer. I check the bolts quit often now and no problem. May want to take it apart as there is a plastic washer in there and it will wear out, and could be causing the vibration. Clean it good ad a new wisher and grease it good. Sorry I tired to find the picture of mine. Will post if I can locate them.

I bought this trike used last year with just 16k miles on it. Is the shaft or u-joints serviceable? Do I need to grease it from time to time?

According to CSC's maintenance schedule for the older Cobra kits, the Rzeppa Cross Groove Joint (CV Joint) should be serviced every 20,000 miles.

Service should include: Clean and replace grease; Replace Delrin Disk; Inspect boot for cracking or holes.

At that time you will want to check the front U-joints on the front yoke also. The U-joints are not serviceable and you'll need to replace yoke with a new one if it too sloppy.

Often the vibration is caused by lack of grease on the drive shaft splines where it fits into the yoke.

Hope this helps...... Good Luck!

Thanks for all your help on this. Looks like I'll need to add "service shaft " to my winter maintenance list.

Last edited:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png