Auxiliary gas tank stopped working

skipg

Nov 8, 2011
Yuma Az
Have a GW trike with the auxiliary gas tank. Riding in Yellowstone park turned the pump switch on and it would not pump gas to the main tank. Turned it on and off several times but no luck. Five days latter on the Oregon coast tried the pump switch again and it worked? Tried pumping a little at a time to see if it continued to pump and it kept working. Do you think I have a loose connection or what? Your input please.
thanks
Skipg

I have a BMW/Hannigan trike and my aux pump quit a few years ago, so Hannigan told me to get a different fuel pump from NAPA which local dealer installed for me.

Well...aux pump quit about 6 months ago so I just gave up on the whole idea.
Based on other comments on the boards, it seems most conversions aren't really designed to include an efficient aux fuel tank.

Might check your fuses, and wiring for loose connection also.

BTW, I'm not a casual rider. I put on at least 12,000 miles a year.

I've run two bikes with an auxiliary tank during the last 7 years and haven't had a pump failure yet. The only fuel system failure I had was a leaking screw in type of filter. No more problem after replacing that. My system uses the auxiliary fuel separately from the main. A switch controlling a relay to one or the other pumping fuel directly to the carbs. Not your normal transfer system that most builders use. Normally running about 10k a year thou I'm off of that number last year and this year.
Larry

I have a GL1500 with the HT1500 conversion and aux gas tank. My switch has quit a couple times and then started working again after flipping it up/down a few times. First thing I would do is remove the switch and solder the contacts if they have a spade connector. I probably should go ahead and do this at some point before the switch leaves me stranded. The tank showed empty before I flipped switch back and forth and then it worked OK...

Have a GW trike with the auxiliary gas tank. Riding in Yellowstone park turned the pump switch on and it would not pump gas to the main tank. Turned it on and off several times but no luck. Five days latter on the Oregon coast tried the pump switch again and it worked? Tried pumping a little at a time to see if it continued to pump and it kept working. Do you think I have a loose connection or what? Your input please.
thanks
Skipg

More than likely it is the relay located on the right side of rear frame. Mine acted up just like yours. I replaced and tied to frame rail instead of letting it hang loose the way it was originally attached. The relay supplies power to the switch when the ignition is turned on. So I installed a green light beside the switch to show me it had power all the time the ignition is on so I know the relay is working. This keeps me from running the main tank too low to get to a service station before running out of fuel which is what nearly happened when mine failed. No green light means the relay has malfunctioned and is not supplying the required power.

I have the HTC kit with auk tank. Mine has 2 lights by the switch. When I have fuel in the auk tank both lights comes on when all the fuel has been transferred the pump will stop automatically and only have one light on.
Don't know if this is a new thing or not.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png