Replace compensator assembly

Oct 19, 2011
GLEN ELLYN, IL. USA
I have my '14 TG in for a new compensator assembly. This is the second time it was in for a compensator problem. First time they replaced something and updated it with some kind of shim that they installed on units after mine left the assembly line.
Harley tech said they are having a lot of problems with the 2014's. I only have 7500 miles on it.
It's going to take 2 weeks. The assembly is on its way, it's the chain that is taking 2 weeks because, according to the service writer, Harley is all out of replacement chain. He didn't know why - I said probably because 0f this problem and they weren't prepared for it. He's going to try and speed it up with something called "downed Bike" situation. ???

I had a major trans problem (rebuilt after only 10K miles) with my '12 TG

Looks like TriGlides and me don't get along very well. :(

Curious .... What oil do you use in your primary?
When you ride do you hear the compensator "clunk" a lot when getting on/off the throttle?

If Harley is "out of chain" then I guess they are not building any engines. :laugh:

Bob :Dorag:

The new compensator even tho redesigned still do not get enough lubrication to the critical areas of the comp and make all kinds of noises..

Been Looking at the new 2014 Can AMs Spyders versus going to the 2014 Harley Trike..

HD has had compensator problems since they changed the design for the 06 Dyna & 07 and later Touring. One would think they could get it resolved after 7 years, I guess they're at a loss or not wanting to admit they screwed the pooch. The previous compensator design worked like a charm, my 06 Ultra has almost 40,000 miles on the original compensator. It's been hammered with everything from a simple Stage 1 88 to the present 120" build I have now, its still going strong.

I have a 2011 with 75k miles and just replaced it for the third time. We were out in Sturgis when it started making a ticking sound like a bad set if valves. I was glad to make it home. I considered putting a shim behind the springs but opted for the "new and improved version" with the oil funnel that you glue in the primary cover. I haven't had a chance to put many miles on the new version but it seems to make more noise than normal. maybe a loose chain.......Harley definitely has a design problem......Gary

Curious .... What oil do you use in your primary?
When you ride do you hear the compensator "clunk" a lot when getting on/off the throttle?

If Harley is "out of chain" then I guess they are not building any engines. :laugh:

Bob :Dorag:

H-D Formula+
I was getting a lot of clunking noises - the hotter it got the worse it made especially at stop lights.

Amsoil in other 2 holes.

I have a 2011 with 75k miles and just replaced it for the third time. We were out in Sturgis when it started making a ticking sound like a bad set if valves. I was glad to make it home. I considered putting a shim behind the springs but opted for the "new and improved version" with the oil funnel that you glue in the primary cover. I haven't had a chance to put many miles on the new version but it seems to make more noise than normal. maybe a loose chain.......Harley definitely has a design problem......Gary
I'm curious how many stators you have had also. Did they go around same time as compensator?

I have my '14 TG in for a new compensator assembly. This is the second time it was in for a compensator problem. First time they replaced something and updated it with some kind of shim that they installed on units after mine left the assembly line.
Harley tech said they are having a lot of problems with the 2014's. I only have 7500 miles on it.
It's going to take 2 weeks. The assembly is on its way, it's the chain that is taking 2 weeks because, according to the service writer, Harley is all out of replacement chain. He didn't know why - I said probably because 0f this problem and they weren't prepared for it. He's going to try and speed it up with something called "downed Bike" situation. ???

I suggest calling Steve@ GMR Performance in Texas. He has the Compusaver oil tray and may have the PEEK washer to replace the wafer bearing that comes with the new compensator.

They have a test trike with 10k trouble free miles on the compensator.

http://gmrperformance.com/products/compensaver/

I have the GMR tray and PEEK washer installed in my trike.

Please keep us informed on the results of your repair. I had mine compensator bolt loosen up at 3K mi. last June while in Eureka Springs & had to be re-torqued & I'm taking it in this week for it's 10K & it's making a simailiar noise as before when the EITMS is activated.
I'm leaving Monday for a trip back to Ohio & then back through Texas so I want it checked out before I leave.

Please keep us informed on the results of your repair. I had mine compensator bolt loosen up at 3K mi. last June while in Eureka Springs & had to be re-torqued & I'm taking it in this week for it's 10K & it's making a simailiar noise as before when the EITMS is activated.
I'm leaving Monday for a trip back to Ohio & then back through Texas so I want it checked out before I leave.

MY advise?? = GET IT CHECKED!!!!

I agree if you are not sure get it checked and make sure they put thread locker on the bolt and follow the torgue instructions..Some replace the bolt also to be safe..

I'm curious how many stators you have had also. Did they go around same time as compensator?

I had the stator and regulator replaced two years ago when we were in Wyoming going over bear tooth pass. Out in the middle of nowhere! Still under warrenty so the nice folks in Sundance did the work. Nothing to do with the compensator. The first compensator lasted about 30k miles and the second lasted about 45K. I just replaced it for the third time but I didn't check the primary chain. Oops..........Are they having any problems with the chain going bad?

We do a lot of cold weather riding so last winter I upgraded my charging system to the new Harley high voltage system so we cold use the heated jacket liners. So far so good..........]

Gary

HD has had compensator problems since they changed the design for the 06 Dyna & 07 and later Touring. One would think they could get it resolved after 7 years, I guess they're at a loss or not wanting to admit they screwed the pooch. The previous compensator design worked like a charm, my 06 Ultra has almost 40,000 miles on the original compensator. It's been hammered with everything from a simple Stage 1 88 to the present 120" build I have now, its still going strong.

MINE HAS AN ADJUSTABLE OR VARIABLE THICKNESS SHIM.
If that isn't right it makes all kind of nasty noises and might even wear a hole in the primary cover.

Got the TG back yesterday from 10K service & comp. bolt was coming loose again. This time the dealer I use locally cleaned the replaced bolt from June repair & used red lock tight instead of factory thread lock tight & retorqued. I'll see if it holds up!!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png