• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Looking for opinions

I had a 2007 SERK that I came within a hairs breath of converting to a trike. But after figuring everything out I went with the factory Tri-Glide instead. I think the factory model will give me better resale $$ if and when I decide to sell or trade it. With that said I'm not 100% sure that I made the right decision. It would've cost me BIG bucks to trike my SERK but with the 110 engine, IRS, and more steering rake I think I would've been super happy with it. Although - I REALLY like my Tri-Glide - I do wish Harley had an IRS option and offered a kit for more steering rake - but I kinda doubt they'll ever do that - if you want IRS or more rake on a Tri-Glide you'll hafta go the aftermarket route. And trust me - that's BIG BUCKS too!!;)

Thanks for the description on the side to side thing, I wasn't sure what you meant. I don't notice it or I just accept it. It doesn't bother me at all.
I guess I'll try to remember that when I go over the next RR crossings and see if I notice it.

I don't have anything against IRS - except the price. If I had a choice of either one for the same price or even close to the same price, naturally I'd probably take the IRS, but not for $5K more. I've heard that IRS is a lot more complicated and therefore more prone to have problems. Is that true?

One question I've always wanted to know. If both trikes ride over an expansion joint on the highway, how is the IRS any better then a solid axle?
I understand about hitting a pot hole with one wheel and not the other, but hitting the same thing with both wheels at the same time. I don't see that as being any better then a solid axle. Am I wrong or am I misunderstanding IRS?
Thanks again

There are more moving parts on an IRS trike, I don't know if they are more prone to have problems, lots of folks with bunches of trouble free miles on an IRS. I think a whole lot depends on the design and parts used to build the IRS trike.

Going over an expansion joint with both, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. The only think which might make a difference is how the suspension on each is set up. The other difference would be where the rear wheels in relationship to the passenger are. If the passengers is riding right over the rear wheels they might have a touch rougher ride vs one riding in front of the rear wheels.

Yesterday the wife and I went for a short lunch ride on my Hanniganized Wing, when we got home she was raving again about how smooth it rides.

One of the biggest things in the Triglide's favor is it is a factory produced trike, with a factory warranty as long as they don't modify things to the point the warranty becomes void, it also has a large dealer network in which to get it serviced if something should happen on the road. Too some that makes a big difference, others not so much. Each person has to weigh the pros and cons.

Another factor that will make a big difference in the ride and handling is the longer wheelbase of the Wing trike. Makes a difference in cornering also. The short wheelbase will be choppy especially with the solid rear. The IRS will let you squat down in the corner, & the longer wheelbase will be pulling you out of the corner sooner making things smoother over all. The torsion bar pulls both sides down when one side is compressed with IRS. But there is a slight time & movement lag so it spreads the bumps out.

There are more moving parts on an IRS trike, I don't know if they are more prone to have problems, lots of folks with bunches of trouble free miles on an IRS. I think a whole lot depends on the design and parts used to build the IRS trike.

Going over an expansion joint with both, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. The only think which might make a difference is how the suspension on each is set up. The other difference would be where the rear wheels in relationship to the passenger are. If the passengers is riding right over the rear wheels they might have a touch rougher ride vs one riding in front of the rear wheels.

Yesterday the wife and I went for a short lunch ride on my Hanniganized Wing, when we got home she was raving again about how smooth it rides.

One of the biggest things in the Triglide's favor is it is a factory produced trike, with a factory warranty as long as they don't modify things to the point the warranty becomes void, it also has a large dealer network in which to get it serviced if something should happen on the road. Too some that makes a big difference, others not so much. Each person has to weigh the pros and cons.

This is the thing with me with the Tri Glide,I like the fact that I will have a 2 year warranty unless I buy more years and theres a lot more dealers and they are closer to me,the closest after market trike dealer is a hour from me and they are a roadsmith dealer,the next would be around 5 hours away and they sell Lehman and Motor Trikes and are a Harley Dealer.

This is the thing with me with the Tri Glide,I like the fact that I will have a 2 year warranty unless I buy more years and theres a lot more dealers and they are closer to me,the closest after market trike dealer is a hour from me and they are a roadsmith dealer,the next would be around 5 hours away and they sell Lehman and Motor Trikes and are a Harley Dealer.

exactly why I sold my HD/Champion conversion and purchased a 2013 new Tri-Glide 13K and almost a year latter No regrets.

Just know that our DFT conversions with the IRS have 8 grease fittings on the conversion - 4 for the u joints and 4 for the suspension. Just grease them at every oil change and life is good.

When I converted my Roadking, I test rode 2 straight axles, a Tri glide and a Lehman conversion. I also test rode 3 IRS conversions. A Roadsmith, a Champion and a CSC. The IRS trikes were by far smoother and I went with the Champion. Some guys say they don't ride rough roads that much, but any country road will be a rougher ride without IRS. A lot of city streets will be a rougher ride to especially if they have repaired pot holes. The only place I didn't see a difference was on the expressway. It's your choice, but for me there is no comparison between IRS and straight axle. I to have a bad back and I want all the help I can get for every bump in the road. Because of my back I am probably more sensitive to it than guys that don't have back issues.

Jerry I dont know when you took delivery of your TG but when the clutch recall came out Harley had all there dealers fix the recall before selling the bikes,if I was you I would find out if yours got fixed, My buddy bought a new Ultra Limited and his dealer didnt do his recall and he didnt know there was a recall and one day him and his wife was out riding and his clutch went out,bike had to be towed to his dealer.

I had the V/H power duals head pipe and power commander V put on my 13 Ultra Limited because the heat was to much for me,but I like it a lot the bike runs and sounds way better. I am asking a ton of questions to trike owners,I talked to my brother in law last night and he told me he just had a Roadsmith Trike kit put on his Ultra,dont talk to him much since my sister passed away but he told me to come get it and ride it for a day or so just leave him my bike,couldn't thank him enough for the offer.So I have rides lined up for his Roadsmith with IRS and a TG. :clapping::clapping:

Thanks for the concern but it got inspected last October. My dealer called when the recall was announced and instructed me not to ride until they verified the clutch was correct. Just clicked over 10k miles today and no issues.

Jerry

check out the frankenstein kit. made in selina , ks, lots of options 4500-7500
depending on options. you can instll it yourself. or a local shop charger 500.00 to do it.

No one is going to argue that an IRS rides smoother then a solid axle on bad roads. It all depends on how many bad roads you are going to be riding on over and over again and if $5000+ is worth it to you. At 70 and bad hips and back my stock Harley TG is more then fine for me. Plus I have a full mfg's warranty and $5K to spend on more essential stuff.

Should be a simple decision.

Well we finally got to ride them booth,a Ultra with the Roadsmith IRS Trike Kit this is my brother in laws trike and a Tri Glide at my local dealer,me and the wife rode them, I did most of the driving she drove us on a little drive,she did great for not riding a bike in over 10 years. We went out on all different kinds of roads some very rough even one they had ground down ready for new asphalt, rode the Roadsmith with IRS first then the Tri Glide,While the Roadsmith does ride and handle better we did not get the side to side thing some have mentioned about the T/G.Anyway with the difference we noticed between the 2 trikes we decided to go with the Tri Glide,biggest reasons are more dealers that are closer,2 year warranty on the whole trike unless we buy more years and I know its only the heads but we like the water cooling that our bike does not have,and adding the 12 to 17 thousand more on top of what we owe on our bike would price it over what we would pay for on a new T/G.The other plus is my nephew is going to buy my bike so we don't have to worry about trading it in.I know there is going to be some on here that dont agree with our decision and some will but we are going with what we like and what makes more sense to us, I do want to thank all of you that gave me your opinions and thoughts.

Well we finally got to ride them booth,a Ultra with the Roadsmith IRS Trike Kit this is my brother in laws trike and a Tri Glide at my local dealer,me and the wife rode them, I did most of the driving she drove us on a little drive,she did great for not riding a bike in over 10 years. We went out on all different kinds of roads some very rough even one they had ground down ready for new asphalt, rode the Roadsmith with IRS first then the Tri Glide,While the Roadsmith does ride and handle better we did not get the side to side thing some have mentioned about the T/G.Anyway with the difference we noticed between the 2 trikes we decided to go with the Tri Glide,biggest reasons are more dealers that are closer,2 year warranty on the whole trike unless we buy more years and I know its only the heads but we like the water cooling that our bike does not have,and adding the 12 to 17 thousand more on top of what we owe on our bike would price it over what we would pay for on a new T/G.The other plus is my nephew is going to buy my bike so we don't have to worry about trading it in.I know there is going to be some on here that dont agree with our decision and some will but we are going with what we like and what makes more sense to us, I do want to thank all of you that gave me your opinions and thoughts.

Congratulations on you decision! Keep us posted on your color choice, etc, and be sure to post pics!

Congratulations on you decision! Keep us posted on your color choice, etc, and be sure to post pics!

I was on the HD site and see they have added a few new colors for 2015, a White Hot Pearl/Blue Hot Pearl and Black Magic I like both of those and the Mysterious Red Sunglo.The Black Magic looks kind of grey to me in the picture,cant wait to see it in person.But it will be one of those colors,unless when we are ready to buy we can get a good deal on a different color leftover 2014 but Im not counting on that.I will post when we get it and put up some pictures.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png